• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Holidays

What do you celebrate?

• Yule / Solstice

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Sukkot

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Diwali

• Halloween

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Ramadan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kwanzaa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Los Dias De Los Muertos

• Christmas

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • A holiday not listed here

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I do not celebrate any holiday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love egg-nogg, gotta have egg-nogg. The wife hates the stuff, I buy about seven to ten cartons of the stuff and I'm set until about february.

I love eggnog too,but really am happy with just a pint or two per season. Its worse than mainlining ice cream:rolleyes:

Love egg-nogg, gotta have egg-nogg. The wife hates the stuff, I buy about seven to ten cartons of the stuff and I'm set until about february.

I'm happy with just a pint or two per season. Its worse than mainlining ice cream:rolleyes:

th_crylaugh.gif

I love eggnog too,but really am happy with just a pint or two per season. Its worse than mainlining ice cream:rolleyes:

Moving up from ice cream to the hard stuff.;)

Can't you feel that crap doing stuff to your arteries? And that's without adding any funny stuff!

Yeah, but it's what makes the ice cream good. Would you rather live a day and enjoy ice cream, or a week and eat celery? I'll take the good day.;)

Yeah, but it's what makes the ice cream good. Would you rather live a day and enjoy ice cream, or a week and eat celery? I'll take the good day.;)

Oh sure, have you ever gotten strings of green ice cream stuck in your teeth? I don't think so! Bring on the spumoni:D

Oh sure, have you ever gotten strings of green ice cream stuck in your teeth? I don't think so! Bring on the spumoni:D

Spumoni?.......I'm not one of those people who would dare to enjoy something weird.

"Let's see,...I'll take some of this ice cream, a few sticks of celery...the blender....voila!.":eek:

Some people.

Spumoni?.......I'm not one of those people who would dare to enjoy something weird.

"Let's see,...I'll take some of this ice cream, a few sticks of celery...the blender....voila!.":eek:

Some people.

Well, spumoni DOES have some green in it, but I think its pistachio...Chocolate works well too:D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I was thinking it was some weird ice cream and veggie creation. :eek: :eek:

Hold it! I never said it wasn't weird..at least according to a certain husband I know who like to kid me about the whole thing as he munches on his Moose Tracks:rolleyes:

Interesting. It may be that people don't think of dressing up in costumes or trick-or-treating as "celebrating".

Well, I suppose that is true. Many people who do things other than don a mask and cape may consider the day to be something other than "Halloween". Still, I think you can celebrate Halloween. Some people get really into it. I have a friend whose neighborhood goes all out with haunted yards and porches, costume contests and even movies projected onto the sides of houses. That, is really celebrating! We've never gone as it is a bit of a hike, but perhaps when my daughter is a bit older. :D

Dude, I'm not sure if Ramadan is a holiday festival. The Muslim Holy month of Ramadan is a month of fasting - not just from food, but from bad thoughts, bad habits, etc. It's a form of 'cleansing', if you will. This goes on for the whole month of Ramadan.

The holiday is the first and second days in the Muslim month of Syawal, the month immediately after Ramadan. For the life of me, I don't know what the English name is for that holiday, but in Malaysia, it's called Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

Another holiday that is pretty darn major is the Chinese New Year, or as Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese would insist on everyone calling it - the Lunar New Year. Celebrated by Chinese all over the world, there's food, firecrackers, food, lion dances, red packets (called angpows - contains money) for the unmarried, and general merriment. Did I mention food?

ds

direstraits said:
I'm not sure if Ramadan is a holiday festival.
According to Holidays on the Net:[Ramadan]is a time of worship and contemplation. Close enough.

direstraits said:
Chinese New Year, or as Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese would insist on everyone calling it - the Lunar New Year. Celebrated by Chinese all over the world, there's food, firecrackers, food, lion dances, red packets (called angpows - contains money) for the unmarried, and general merriment. Did I mention food?
Thanks for the info. Yes, food is always good. Especially after a fast. ;)

According to Holidays on the Net:[Ramadan]is a time of worship and contemplation. Close enough.
I should have been specific. Actually, Ramadan isn't a holiday. This is like saying the seaon of Lent is a holiday.

Muslims fast during Ramadan. They celebrate in Syawal. I'm already looking forward to the Deepavali (or Diwali) & Hari Raya dual celebration sales that's coming up (or should I say my wife is looking forward to a shopping spree).

The Muslims food (this part of the world, that is) during this time is niiicee - especially lemang - glutinous rice cooked inside bamboo shoots, dipped in a kind of sweet sauce or curry. Yum.

ds

....(or Diwali) & Hari Raya dual celebration sales that's coming up (or should I say my wife is looking forward to a shopping spree).

Ah! Diwali, I'd completely forgotton it was coming up, I guess it'll be the usual shennanigans for my clan. DS, You guys have Diwali sales over there? Oh man.

Back