• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you arrange your bookshelves?

I dont have a bookshelf, only a sort of doorless cabinet with one shelf. Its not too small, but it's absolutely crammed. When I get a proper shelf or somehing I'll probably oganise it, but right now its impossible.

I have two shelves in my room, and my reference books and classic novels go on those, as well as my collection of Reader's Digest Condensed books. The rest of my books are stacked all around the room against the wall. I am running out of space, and because of that there is very little organization. I need more bookshelves!

Wabbit said:
Take a book and place it in the book shelf! :D

Chaos rules! :cool:

I thought that is how we are SUPPOSED to do it:p Organized to me means the book gets shelved instead of stacked on the floor or the dresser, or the beside table, or.. you all get the picture!
With as many helping hands as I have in my house, its a wonder I can ever find anything, let alone a specific title when I want it. The key, I've learned is to approach the problem of locating a book by pretending to be on safari, stalking the wild beast. In this case, I'm stalking the wild book..I have to pretend to be looking for a different title so the one I REALLY want gets lulled into carelessness and reveals itself withing a pass or two over the whole collection. The whole collection is spread over the entire house, so more than a pass or two becomes very tedious and annoying!

abecedarian said:
My definition? Or OED? My definition of a shelf is any flat(or almost flat) surface strong enough to hold at least one book..maybe 20.

My floor hold all my books. And that's flat.

Small books in the center and increasing in height toward the sides. Helps eliminate the sag. How's that for organized? :p Actually, I have the heaviest books on the bottom shelf because that one is supported by a small cabinet, but other than that I'm lucky I have a bookcase!

Most of my books are "back home". When I moved to Paris I just brought dictionaries and grammar books, my Haruki Murakami books and my TODA MAFALDA. In the four years I've been here I've bought quite a few books and the ones that are not in boxes (tiny Parisian studio) are arranged by language (Spanish, French or English) and then by author/size/fiction - non fiction. Except for my "current" shelf where all three languages mingle. Reference books go on the bottom shelf or on my desk.

I really don't have a book shelf. I have on small nookcase that isn't near big enough. My book shelf is my bedroom floor next to my night table. There lies a stack of about ten books, arranged in no particular order. When I am done with a book I usually pass it on in some form.

I wouldn't be a real librarian if I didn't stick all the fiction in alphabetical order by the author's last name, then by title. I don't have enough books to organize by genre but eventually I think I'll do that :)

At the moment I have a rather small bookcase that has to be double-stacked to fit all the books on, so I put my new books at the front, and then in order of author. When I buy my own house and have a "library room" with shelves on all four walls (hey, it's gonna happen! :p ) I want to sort them into genres and then in alphabetical order by author.

Uhhh ehhhm, organise?

I do have some organisation though it's not much. One shelf that holds my Forgotten Realms books (except for the RAS Collector's Editions - they're too big). And the rest of that entire books shelf is filled from both sides with mostly sci-fi and fantasy. At least that was how it started since it was only the speculative fiction I got on paperback.

Now I've acquired many of the old classics in paperback too, so they go on that shelf, thus goodbye to that previous organisation. But it could be worse.

My hardcovers and large paperbacks are not organised at all. If they belong in the same series they'll get a place next to each other, but there's no other distinction there.

And for now I'm looking to throw some more of my old books (Walter Farley - wheee) into boxes and land them in the basement with all the other stuff I don't need up in my living quarters.

i have only a few shelves so the books i don't plan to read in the near future i store in boxes, then, on the shelves i arrange my books according to size so i can place some more books on top of the short ones.

i have a shelf in my closet that i keep the books i've purchased.. the book cases in our computer/loft area aren't organized.. just shoved in whereever there's room. in my room theres not much organization either. i just keep the books by the same author together. other than that its kind of done by size

I have five bookshelves divided up into four categories: (a)fiction; (b)psychology and spirituality; (c)Non-fiction; (d)Professional/work related.:cool:

SFG75 said:
I have five bookshelves divided up into four categories: (a)fiction; (b)psychology and spirituality; (c)Non-fiction; (d)Professional/work related.:cool:
Well. You lucky bastard! :D

Organising books takes time away from reading books.

That said, I try to organise the shelves every time I move or set up a new bookcase. At the moment I have 4... three in the living room with books that kind of fit into place, and one in the bedroom for cramming stuff I'm reading at the moment. I had to do that to prevent the better half from getting mad at me for leaving books on the floor.

There's not really any sense of order other than the books have to fit onto the height of the shelf. So some shelves have tall books and some have short books. The only exception is my Terry Pratchett shelf.

All that said, I still have no trouble finding whatever books I need. I know what they look like, and kind of have a mental picture of where they should be on the bookcase.

water faerie said:
Organizing books? Who needs it? Hee. I have one bookshelf with tall shelves and all my hardcover books get stuck in there. I have a shorter bookcase with tons of random paperbacks stuffed in however they fit, and the shelf underneath my TV has more paperbacks. There isn't any order. It takes me forever to find any specific book. That's why I normally just pull one off the shelf and start reading.

i kinda agree. i mean, my shelf has no order, or order that i only understand myself, and only vaguely. and then i have books around my room too, piles to return to the library, and a big pile by my bed that i have to read.

Back