• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you arrange your bookshelves?

Higgeldy piggeldy all over the place. I don't really organise them at all, apart from putting my hardbacks together, and my paperbacks together.

By catagory and book-form. I have a case for hardback non-fiction, one for hardback fantasy/scifi, another for paperback fiction/non-fiction... :eek:

bookshelves

I tried to arrange by Author's name, but gave up after a while. I do arrange all text books by subject, but novels, I can't keep up.

Nelly

i dont have a book shelf, i just have the space where the stereo equipment is supposed to go next to the tv, behind some glass door. I arrange them on which little "shelf" the fit on, since some of the "shelves" are taller than the others and then by the size of the book from left to right. Authors and genres are all mixed in and all over the place. theres books behind those as well, the ones i consider "not so special" to me.

then i have have some stacked up in a built in closet in the hallway.

...with the way im buying books nowadays.............im afraid of where im going to find the space.....:confused: ......."clothes? who needs clothes? i'll just throw all that out and put my books in there!"...........:p

Who organizes? I just keep all my favorites in the bed with me. :) Well, actually not. The bed isn't strong enough.

I would love to have a room filled with shelves so they could be organized by genre/alphabetized. As it is, having a couple thousand volumes, that isn't possible. I pack most into boxes, and then set stacks of books on top of the boxes, so that they look like 'tables'.

I managed to find more space on my shelves for books, but I intent to rearrange them yet again. I wish to put all my sci-fi and horror books on the shelves where it's harder to get to and move those titles, mostly classics and historical fiction, to a place of easier access.

I have books in every room of my house- some of them "organized", some of them not. If they are organized, they are together by author other than that it's a free for all!

I can't say i really organise them :( The only thing i do is sort them by language ( different shelves for different romanian and english books i have) and i also sort them by size (height i mean).

I have most of my fiction alpha by author, then another bookshelf in the other room mostly has my boyfriend's sci-fi stuff and biographies on it.

Our books have overflowed from the bookshelves and are in piles all around the house. There are various stratae of sci-fi, vampire fiction, gardening, etc. Stephen King is scattered in amidst the whole lot, as he is frequently re-read!

The ones which have shelf space are organised into genres. The rest (majority) huddle together in precarious piles on any available surface.

I don't have shelves. I arrange my books in piles on the floor according to which bookstore and which clearance sale I bought them from.

By genre and then author. Although only a very small fraction of my books are on shelves, the ones I've yet to read generally, most are organised into several plastic storage boxes under my bed, and in piles around my room. I also have overflow bookshelves in the office!

I have books in every room of my house- some of them "organized", some of them not. If they are organized, they are together by author other than that it's a free for all!

That's about the same for me! Every now and then I think about organising them, then get distracted by a book I might not have picked up for a while, and that's about as far as it ever gets!

As I've overflowed my several bookshelves (5), my organization has ended. I do have one shelf of older books organized by author & order in which they were published. Others, I just try to keep the authors together. I'm hoping to buy a house this summer, so I'll have a chance to organize them once again. Of course, after a few months, I'll have so many new books, I am sure they'll once again become disorganized....but they are at least on bookshelves (stacked two and three deep).

This seems to be the fate of booklovers everywhere. I hope to buy a house with built-in shelves. My own library...that is a dream.

I don't really have a system that is organized like a real library. On the first shelf, I have my sets and newer books. The shelf below that has my books that I treasure. Below that are my textbooks from 7 years of college. The next shelf has the books that I really don't care about. The final shelf has textbooks that I really couldn't fit on my first shelf of text books.

This of course doesn't count the two other piles of books that are on a desk and my dresser.

Back