• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you find the time?

Contrary to popular misconceptions, unfortunately librarians and booksellers don't spend their entire days reading books... :( :p
I wish!!!
Myself, I have a total of an hour's tram travel every day in which to read, and also the lunch break. Maybe not evenings so much, but weekends! (vide signature ;) )

*mrkgnao*

I'm a manager in a bookstore, and the first thing I usually have to do when I'm interviewing is point out that there's no time for reading while on the clock. Most people are shocked by this revelation.

i go everwhere book in hand, even to volleyball games where i'm playing. My coach, when she isn't congradulating me on a brillaint save, gets mad. i read in the bathtub and sitting on the toilet, etc...and always carry a book to school to read before class starts. it's kind of a habit. i go to bed pretty late too, stay up reading a very good book. sometimes i catch an hour or two when i don't have a lot of HW. and sometimes a couple hours on weekends. and i listen to lots of audiobooks.

Audio books are a blessing for people who want to read and do other things at the same time. An audio book during housecleaning, or while you are drawing (which is usually my case) is handy! Unfortunately, hearing people read aloud makes me sleepy, even if it's an interesting story, so I steer clear of them. . .

I don't 'find' time to read, I purposefully 'make' time to read. I am also blessed with time to read at work, and there is never a minute when I don't have a book with me!

I don't 'find' time to read, I purposefully 'make' time to read. I am also blessed with time to read at work, and there is never a minute when I don't have a book with me!

Exactly! Time is not found! We all have the same amount of time. Whether you have a 70 hour a week job, 10 kids, or live alone with no job underneath a library we all have the same amount of time. How you choose to use it, caring for family, making money, watching TV or posting on discussion forums is up to you but we all have the same amount of time. If you haven't prioritized a passion in your life and haven't made time to do it that's your problem. Don't go claiming others have more time. If you really cared you'd make the time or just accept that it's not the priority that gets several books read a month.

Sorry, you don't have to be so harsh you know. I was just saying that the time I do have I have other things to do, like homework and practicing darts, rather then read unfortuately. I didn't mean to offend you. :(

It's just a matter of prioritising. I do understand though, I did find it hard to make time to read when I was doing a-levels and was writing essays every night, although I studied English so a lot of my homework was reading! I've [luckily] never particularly liked TV and always loved books so when my friends were watching TV after completing homework I'd be reading! Try going to bed an hour earlier and reading for an hour. That was my best trick :)

Sorry, you don't have to be so harsh you know. I was just saying that the time I do have I have other things to do, like homework and practicing darts, rather then read unfortuately. I didn't mean to offend you. :(

I wasn't directing my reply at you personally. My post was not harsh. Regardless, this issue is a pet peeve of mine. Too many people use lack of time as an excuse for not doing things. Saying "I don't have the time" is actually saying "I don't want to take the time to do that now." I'm not going to get into a discussion based on the validity of what takes up time in our lives. My point is that we choose what we do with our even if we don't always feel that way.

I find that college gives me lots of time to read, not to mention lots of assigned reading. I have no classes on some days, and I'm about as bad a procrastinator as they come... So I basically read books when I should be studying say.. geology..:rolleyes: I guess living at home helps too. When I was in the dorms I had much less time because my friends were by every night. Now at home it's easier to avoid the temptation of frat parties and what not...

I wasn't directing my reply at you personally. My post was not harsh. Regardless, this issue is a pet peeve of mine. Too many people use lack of time as an excuse for not doing things. Saying "I don't have the time" is actually saying "I don't want to take the time to do that now." I'm not going to get into a discussion based on the validity of what takes up time in our lives. My point is that we choose what we do with our even if we don't always feel that way.

I didn't think you sounded harsh..but you were right to point out that we all have exactly the same amount of time in a 24 hour period as everyone else on the planet. None of us can do it all..whatever IT might be. What we CAN do is figure out how to multi-task or prioritize the things we need and want to do with our time. No one here would claim it's easy..we all have different variables calling for our time and have learned the value of comparing notes to see how we juggle our various plates.

I read just before I go to sleep at night; for an hour or two, maybe more depending on the book. I don't watch television so that time is spent reading. I also have a few breaks from work during the day and read during those too. It still doesn't let me read as many books as some people on here though....:D

I'm not saying that people have more time in the day then me. I am not'trying to make up an excuse either, and I don't think anyone else who says they don't have enough time is making an excuse. I was looking for advice from people on how they prioritize there time so they have FREE time to read. And I do love to read but I also have goals in life so I don't always have free time to read. And maybe your post wasn't blantantly harsh but it was a little rude to people who feel like they don't have time. To say that they just dont want to...that's not true.

This thread is developing a bit of a reputation out "there".

One thing you have going for you is that you are a student. Life may seem tough or hectic for you but BELIEVE me it's the best time of your life because, contrary to your feelings it's all about you right now.

I think Ions, in his charmingly gruff sorta way:) , was commenting more on overburdened peole in general and our tendancy to see the "grass greener on the other side". The amount of "time" we have is up to us, no matter how fast the clock ticks. Oh and there isn't any such thing as Free time, you gotta make it and it costs you some other priority in your life to do so.

Well there is such a thing as free time I believe. You don't always have something else to do. If you have all homework done(as a student) and you don't have to work and all there is to do is relax then you are not using that time to do anything else but rekax. But anyways I was just trying to get some suggestions from people but it does not seem to be working.

I read just before I go to sleep at night; for an hour or two, maybe more depending on the book. I don't watch television so that time is spent reading. I also have a few breaks from work during the day and read during those too. It still doesn't let me read as many books as some people on here though....:D

Some suggestions. Can you see them now?

Some suggestions. Can you see them now?

I can't believe no one has posted the number 1 and number 2 way to get in more reading time...(pardon the pun) 1. Leave a book in the bathroom and 2. Carry a book with you at all times.

Well there is such a thing as free time I believe. You don't always have something else to do. If you have all homework done(as a student) and you don't have to work and all there is to do is relax then you are not using that time to do anything else but rekax. But anyways I was just trying to get some suggestions from people but it does not seem to be working.

**can't seem to find the correct response to this****

**Tries this** You have to decide not to do anything else to just relax. It's still not free time. I'm sure there is some dust under your stove that you could be cleaning.

Re: suggestions - calm down and re-read the thread. What I think you'll find is that people are carving time out of their day to read.

**Oh just forget it!**

I think that people here are giving the best answers that they can. As an adult with a job, house and family, I don't have a lot of free time either. In fact, I have a lot less free time than I did when I was in High School and College. As a student there were a few things I did to find reading time. First off, I didn't watch TV, and kids were not as into the internet and video games back then. Secondly, I read a lot during the summer and on the weekends. I also made sure that I read a bit before bed every night no matter how late it was. Lastly, I read between classes, in class after tests, at lunch if my friends weren't in my lunch, on the bus and at afterschool activities when there was downtime.

I can't believe no one has posted the number 1 and number 2 way to get in more reading time...(pardon the pun) 1. Leave a book in the bathroom and 2. Carry a book with you at all times.

Absolutely, especially the second one. I always have a book with me, and often a backup if I'm toward the end of the first book.

Back