• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you get rid?

jaybe

What do you do with books you don't want anymore?

I'd like to think most of us keep them, intending to ........ (insert own ideas)....

There comes a time though, when they have to go.

I can't bin them. What's best, amazon, ebay, other?

jaybe said:

I'd like to think most of us keep them, intending to ........ (insert own ideas)....

I used to give my books to the local library until they wouldn't accept them any longer because they were running out of space. Now, I sell those that are still in good condition on Amazon. They don't sell too badly. Those I don't sell online, I bring to a second-hand bookstore. They only give a few cents per book, so that it is hardly worth the trouble, but at least, it clears my shelves.

I have sold several of my hardcovers on Amazon. The profit on paperbacks isn't draw enough for me to sell those on there. I give some paperbacks to the library, and what they won't take, I go to a book swap in town and trade them for books I haven't read.

I'd suggest going the used-book store route. You can do direct trades or receive credit for other books.:)

I donate to Friends of the Library sales and church garage sales. Once I gave several boxes of books to a friend..actually, I did that twice for two different friends.

Try Book Crossing :)

What is BookCrossing?

bookcrossing
n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

(added to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary in August 2004)

Basically, you enter your book into the book crossing database and detail the time and place you will leave your book. You leave your book in a public place, and if somebody finds it, they can see the note you have left inside the book which directs you to the book crossing web site where they can enter that they found the book in the journal for that particular novel and also what they thought of it. IF they wish, they can then send the book out into the wild.

They used to all go in the loft in big bin bags, but then one day we decided to have it converted into a bedroom. After giving a couple of carrier bags full to all the local charity shops, we finally filled the car with the rest and donated them to a used book store. Since then we have sold others on Amazon, which is easy enough as long as they're fairly recent so are listed in Amazon's catalogue.

It depends on the type of book.

Any murder/mystery/thriller book: goes to M at work who reads that genre.

Any Historical type of book: Goes to P, who sticks to that genre.

I will some books to my father and the rest I intend to donate to the local library when my hubby and I move to our new home in January.

jaybe said:

Join Bookcrossing, and register the books, then go to your library and leave the books in their different sections and see what happens. You could leave them in book shops to. I don't think they can arrest you for reverse shop-lifting.:)

I would also say, join bookcrossing.com!

Share your reading experience with strangers! And see your book travel. One of my books on bookcrossing has reached the usa.

Flower

I keep the ones that I consider "smart" books and the ones that are "medium-smart" if I liked them. When I move out of my apartment, I hope to have a library someday. The others I sell on half.com which is run by Ebay. It's really easy. The ones that aren't worth selling online ($5 or under), I try to give away. If I can't a box them up for a future yard sale that I will have... someday.

Good tip about the BookCrossing site.

The good books I give to my mom who passes them on to the rest of the family. They all have my bookplate with my name and phone number on them, so in theory they should come back to me. They never do, but that is OK.

The bad (cheap, MM, embarassing to pass on) books go out on Paperback Swap. It's a good way to get rid of lousy books and get good ones in return. On occasion I will also donate "bad" books to salvation army or other charities colecting them. A lot of people pass books off to me and they aren't always my kind of thing (as super awesome as Nora Roberts is :rolleyes: ). If I can't get rid of those on PBS I donate them so they aren't taking up valuable space on my shelves.

"Classics" generally stay here. They are cheap and easy to get at used stores, so if my mom wants them she can buy em herself.

There is a used bookstore here called Booknook where you can trade in massmarket paperbacks for credit towards other mass market paperbacks. If I don't do that I donate them to Animal Aid which is a local animal rescue house. They then sell books at malls and fairs to pay the bills.

Give them to friends or family :). There is always someone who I think may like a particular title in my collection. If I can't think of someone then I would give them to goodwill.

I put several that I had already read with no thought to reading again or those I no longer cared to read in the first place in a box for a church garage sale. Mostly they were teenage reading level books and others were what I'd gotten through a club at the university. Now I will probably take them to a used book store.

Yeah, if I got books that I know for a fact I am not going to read again, I need to clear space on the shelves for books that I will be indulged in.

Secondhand book store, or I give them away to friends. But, I haven't done that in years; I prefer to hang on to them. :)

Wabbit said:
Try Book Crossing :) .....

IF they wish, they can then send the book out into the wild.

On the BookCrossing FAQ, it says that only about 20-25% of books released get "caught" (as they call it). Call me overly sentimental about my books, but I think I'd actually find it hard to just leave one lying somewhere on a park bench/bus stop or something. :(

Back