• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Long Between Books?

How long do you wait to start a new book after finishing one?

• Start a new one right away

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Start a new one the next day

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Start a new one in 1 to 2 days

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Wait more than 2 days

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

RAC42

kickbox
Just wondering how long people wait to start a new book after finishing one. I usually start one the next day.

Since I read late at night, I chose starting the next day. I like to let the ending sink in and process the whole book in my head. I like to think about character development, any current events that relate to the book, not to mention other items that I found on the net that deal with the book itself. Reviews, pointed critiques, analysis, etc. I don't know why, but starting a new one right after I'm done with a book just makes me feel rushed.

Excellent topic btw.:)

I feel guilty for reading too much (I have a 5 year old that I guess I should be spending that time with) so when I do happen to finish a book I've started, I usually wait a little while - weeks - before I jump into another one. Not to mention it takes me months to read one book (same reason as above).:D

Well. I Start the Next day. As SFG75 Said I like to let the ending sink in and process the whole book in my head too. The Characters Still are with me I Mean in my head. I Still wonder about the book So 1 Day would be more than enough to end the thoughts of it I Guess =] But sometimes it may take more than 1 day or 2 .. IF I Really couldn't let go of what I've read . My Thoughts Sometimes Prevent me from focusing on my current book.

I will usually wait and start a new one the next day since I tend to stay up late reading, too. Sometimes I'll start a new book right away.

And there are those few cases when I'm reading multiple books simultaneously so I'll just go to the next one to finish.

if it's a series, i'll start the next one straight away.. otherwise i need a short break before starting another.. a day is enough! :D

It really depends on how the story affected me. After "The Kite Runner" I had to let my emotions "simmer" for a couple of days. Some characters make such an impact on me, the stronger ones have a tendency to linger. Yet, due to my inability to go without reading something for even a few hours, I find myself being called to another book quickly. I sometimes try to find something "light" to read to balance out a previous "heavy." I guess you could compare it to eating, sometimes it's junk, sometimes gourmet, and sometimes you just want a light snack!

cool topic, i usually go to the book shelf and pick my next read as soon as im done, but i really dont get far, after i decide on one i usually read all the comments in the first few pages or on the back cover, but, because i do read alot of books with the same caracters and books in series, those ones ill start right away if im into it enough

It really depends on what I'm reading. I finished The Color Purple yesterday and will start The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy today.

But oftentimes I wait a while longer to start another book. I also don't really have a very set reading pattern. I'm ashamed to admit, I can go without reading something for a while. This might be because of newspapers, magazines, my cellphone and the internet. Disgusting, I know!

If I have a book already in my pocession, I usually begin reading it write away, but sometimes i have to wait a day or two until I can get another book to read.

For the most part, I'll finish a book and wait to start a new one the next day. Sometimes I'll get impatient, however, and begin reading a new book not long after I finish the one I'm currently reading.

i'd love to start another book right away, but i just have to spend at least one or two days. i can't fully explain it; i guess my mind is still in the mode of the last book.

Turn and about

I cannot start a book of the same type immediately, but I can switch types. From example, go from a thriller or mystery to a biography. Usually I keep two books going at once: one "heavier" than the other, so if I get fatigued with one of them I can turn to the other.

I can't help it... I start a couple hours after I finished the previous when if I have more lying around (which is always true!)

I just sort of hop into another one right away, unless the book was particularly thought-provoking and something I feel I need to mull over for a little while.

Pretty much the same for me in regards to what Rien said. However, some times, it's a tad hard to actually finding a good book, and it takes a couple days or so to get going again. I don't mind though, because in periods like that I get more writing done.

Depends on when I finish the book and what type of book I am reading, but usually I start a new one right away.

I'm afraid that I usually start the next one when I am about halfway through the current book. I find that I am so impatient to start my next planned book (I plan ahead by about 6 or so) that I can't wait and end up with at least two on the go at any one time.

Depends on a lot of things... If I finish a book at night, I'll only start reading another the following day. If it was a thought provoking book, I also have a tendency to wait a bit and start reading another on the following day.

Many times I just start reading the new book almost immediately. I just need a few minutes to adjust myself to the language (that's because I read in Portuguese, English and now I'm starting to read in Spanish), but after the first pages, I'm ready to go.

Dharma

Back