• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How many authors have you read?

piedro

i ,having a very analytical mind, have kept a list of all authors whose books i have read.

my current count is 34 with 20 in my waiting list.
my target is 100 authors in my lifetime.

i think this must be a pretty low number so i am asking you how many authors have you read?
i know it is humanely impossible to remember the number in one recollection , but give me a range say 60 to 80 or something like that so that i know where i stand.

No way possible to get an accurate count here, I'm afraid. There were all those authors in school, and then there are those authors of romance so pulpy I'd hate to count them. At what age do I start, with Eric Carle (Very Hungry Caterpillar) or Dr. Seuss or Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew) or L. M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables)?

To guess, starting at age 14 (15 good years there, 4 while working in a bookstore), eliminating category romances and non-fiction, I'd say 250-300.

Phew! Impossible to answer :)

I started to read when I was around about 10 and havent stopped. I would have to say it's in the hundreds!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Has to be well in the hundreds. Learnt to read when I was 3, and ever since I can remember I've had my nose stuck in a book, so that's 24 years of reading. I don't think you'll have to stress much about making your 100 author target.

Good Lord, I don't know. :confused: I have been reading books ever since I was 7-8 years old. So That will be over 35 years. :eek:

Since 1998 I have made a list of books I have read, which will include well over 100 different authors.

Hobitten

Impossible for me, as well. I've been reading since I was six or seven...certainly more than one hundred. I read a variety of genres, so I get to try out new authors all the time.

Me too. I never really stick to authors that I know. When I get new books maybe one or two ( though sometimes it is none ) are by authors I have tired and like a lot. Most of them will be by new and untried authors. I really love to discover new authors :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

thats all i wanted to know. all of you have crossed the 100 mark. i have spent around 7 years reading and have managed 34. i guess it will be quite some time before i reach 100.
no problemo

On the subject of lists etc, I began keeping a record of the books I read on 12th July 1982 (the first book was "The Devil's Alternative" by Frederick Forsyth - an interesting story but with cardboard-cutout characters) and have now reached number 1066 ("Killer's Choice" by Ed McBain which was also number 306 2nd January 1986 - pretty bog-standard police procedural, I have started to re-read the 87th Precinct stories in order they were published). I don't know why I started but I was considering stopping when I reached number 1000 ("One Bloody Afternoon" by Jeremy Josephs - it's about Michael Ryan who killed a whole load of people in Hungeford in 1987) however, I just didn't have it in me.

What is strange is looking back and not remembering what a particular book was about e.g. no. 208 "Emphyrio" by Jack Vance, I can't even remember reading it, let alone what it was about and there are many more.

I have considered moving the list into a spreadsheet or even a database but I am attached to my two exercise books with the lists in them.

My wife thinks it is a bit sad but I am glad to see that others like Hobitten keep lists as well so I am not on my own.

Steve

Good question; I don't know, though.

I've only been reading (really reading) for about 4 years now, so it can't be more than 20.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I read a lot when I was a kid, but during high school I just stopped for some unknown reason. I came back to books about 2 years ago, when I started college.

I reckon number of authors must be about 40 (going from my reviews and adding a few for my pre-review days).

Like most here, I couldn't even guess within +/- 20 how many authors I've read, but I would think it would have to be in the hundreds.
And, Steve, you needn't feel too bad about keeping a list of the books you've read. I have been keeping a similar list since 1990 for no real reason other than that I suppose I am a bit compulsive. And, like you, there are many that I don't remember too well.

No idea how many authors I've read. I've been reading since I was young, with only the occasional lull between new books.

Well over 100, maybe even over 200. I never counted. If I like the author I'll try and read all of their stuff. Some I may only have read one by. Loads though. Loads!

piedro said:
thats all i wanted to know. all of you have crossed the 100 mark. i have spent around 7 years reading and have managed 34. i guess it will be quite some time before i reach 100.
no problemo

Hi, Piedro, where is your signature coming from? I like it. I mean, it makes me smile. :)

As for the topic, absolutely I have no idea. But what makes me feel good about myself is that I begin to learn not to let them--authors and their books conquer my minds anymore. ---I used to completely identify with them, you know.

BTW, keeping a record of the books or authors is a really good idea. :)

Up to now, it must be about 100 (i am 31), but it should definitely double or triple. And I don't often read more books from the same authr, except Irving, Barker, Mankell and Fossum.

msm

I gave over a hundread book reports one QUARTER in 4th grade. :rolleyes: (No social life unless you count scouts.) I have no idea how many authors have had the chance to warp my mind. I will say that I tend to read a lot of one author once I find a good one, so while I'm sure it's in the hundreads, I doubt its too far up.

Clueless! Best I can do is tell you I'm up to my 116th author from a suggested reading list I found, and I think I've been following that list for about 2 years now. And since I've been reading like this for over 20 years... I'd guess I'm well over the 1,000 author mark now.

Hmmm.... Dunno really. I do tend to read everything written by a particular author once I've found I like their style.

Back