• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How many books do you own?

I just got into serious reading and I don't own a lot of books because I borrowed them from the library in my light-reading days.

Nowadays I am planning to read a lot more and lay down my tv-remote ( bloody tv :mad: ).
Therefore I will start to begin with reading books out of my parents bookcase.
Recently, I asked my parents how many books the bookcase contains and it appears to have approximately 2000 books.

This means I have a lot of reading in stall for me. :)

I did a count recently to see how many were in my TBR collection and came up with over 150. I've never counted the books in the whole house. I'm guessing over 1000 easily, probably more. I need to seriously cull out again. I know someone who collects reading materila for prisoners in the county jail. I think it's time for me to donate again. We have books in every room in the house except the laundry room. :D

I only have about 100 or 150 in my own collection. Maybe 150 added with the rest of the house. I have like 20 or 30 printed on paper-the classics since they are public domain now.-I used Project Gutenberg to get those. An a good handful of children books (ed major so I've been collecting them)

No too many, I still move around a lot so I can't be trucking them with me and I don't have the space.

I ove the way they smell!
:) Me too! My hubby tells me that I get this "drunk" look on my face when I'm in bookstores and libraries.

I counted my unread books last weekend, and I have just short of 150. I thought that was bad until I read some of the other posts on this thread. :D I'm so glad I'm not alone in this obsession!

Omigosh, I have no idea how many.

They're literally my decor around here. I've actually thought about throwing out living room seating for more bookcases.

As it is, I have to make end tables from my books to have room for them. Jackie Kennedy-Onassis apparently did that, its where I got the idea.

Not to mention all the ones in storage!

My guess is around 600 or so.

Loads. My friends tell me I should use the library but I hate having to give books back. I'm the type of person who reads things over and over again. I don't have one that I haven't read at least twice, except the ones I didn't like which I recently gave away.

TOO many. I'm the type who gose out and buys more and more before she finishs the ones she already has. Well I used to be. I don't have money for books anymore.

My wife and I have about 2,000, going back to our school days and childhood. We own very little besides books, and bookcases pretty much define our apartment. We love the physical presence of books as much as we love reading them.

About half of those books, however, are used copies bought cheap. We intend to read them and pass them along, so we're not attached to them.

Ya know, it gives me warm fuzzies thinking about all these homes full of books and readers who love them :cool:

While it's true that I love to read, I also love being surrounded by books. When I am in a home with no bookcases, the walls seems flimsy and exposed. In our home, walls of books make us cozy, insulated from the outside world.

Anyway, since Eliott (see above) is my husband, you already know how many books I'm talking about in our home. It's a lot, but in a small, garret apartment, it seems like even more. In a good way, I mean.

StillILearn said:
How creepy is it to go into somebody's house for the first time and to eventually realize that they have no books? :eek: :eek: :eek:

It bugs me a lot..I feel like I should be asking them to go garage saling with me to get those poor people some books!

abecedarian said:
It bugs me a lot..I feel like I should be asking them to go garage saling with me to get those poor people some books!

I love how they then try and compensate for it by having large rows of DVDs or CDs. It's just not the same, gives a house a feeling of being incomplete. Oh well, ignorance is bliss.:D

SFG75 said:
I love how they then try and compensate for it by having large rows of DVDs or CDs. It's just not the same, gives a house a feeling of being incomplete. Oh well, ignorance is bliss.:D

Or that they do have books, but then you realize that you're secretly a book snob, and you have to live out the rest of your entire life knowing that? :eek: And that there are people out there who would privately sneer at your own collection?

About 5 months ago I did a count, and came up with about (I can't find the paper I wrote the totals on, its probably in a book...) 2,450. But, um I've bought some:eek: since. I have no clue how many are in my TBR stacks. If I was forced to guess, I'd have to say about 200ish. Give or take a dozen or so. :)

Back