• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to keep a book looks like new forever.

steffee said:
What's wrong with putting a book back into your bag still open? ;)

Nothing, nothing at all, if you don't mind causing heart attacks in total strangers who view the attrocity in a public place;) It just looks wrong....

Oh no, I really don't mind causing a total stranger to have a heart attack.

Haha, I have a lengthy train journey (well, 4, actually - the joy) tomorrow. I shall try that just to see the effects. I'll report them back here, don't worry ;)

steffee said:
Oh no, I really don't mind causing a total stranger to have a heart attack.

Haha, I have a lengthy train journey (well, 4, actually - the joy) tomorrow. I shall try that just to see the effects. I'll report them back here, don't worry ;)

So, who does one call in England to report a terrorist attack on trains? :D I'll have to watch the yahoo news to see if anyone keels from your little 'experiment'..:D

{desperately hoping nobody really does have a heart attack tomorrow, especially those as young as 27! :eek: }

Have to say, round 'ere, I'd be more likely to be "spat at" or something than cause a heart attack in someone else lol... and that's just for reading. ;)

Man that Steffee's a stirrer. :p Must admit I could take better care of my books, I lay them face down so that I don't lose the page. Should that sentence carry a health warning? Abc, Stewie, hang on in there, help is on it's way.
Big fat paperbacks are annoying, because unless you bend them back a reasonable way you can't read all the words and you are always battling to keep them open.

Stewart said:
I almost had a heart attack on the train the other day when the guy sitting opposite had burst the spine and then, as the train pulled into a station, he thrust the book into his bag still open! :eek:

That guy should have been arrested. Flagrant abuse of a book. :(

KristoCat said:
In library school they told us that the best way to preserve books is to keep them at cool temperatures, about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and to keep them away from natural light - in fact, the darker the better. Make sure they're printed on acid-free paper. Keep them away from mold, insects, and other things that eat books.
Thanks for the input, very helpful.

Tamsine said:
What are the tips that you could provide?

I use anything I can find : brown wrapping paper, posters... Glossy paper is surprisingly resistant and I can use the covers several times. I just take it off the book I've finished reading and slip it unto the new one. That way, the books remain like new even if I carry them about in my bag. And of course, I never read with greasy fingers !

This is a good idea, too.

I wonder why no publisher ever invent plastic pager book, they will last forever and not afraid of grease, how is this for an idea?

Stewart said:
I almost had a heart attack on the train the other day when the guy sitting opposite had burst the spine and then, as the train pulled into a station, he thrust the book into his bag still open! :eek:

I would have a heart attack, too.

Miss Shelf said:
That guy should have been arrested. Flagrant abuse of a book. :(

Agreed. The reason to protect a book, especially a great book is because you want others to read them someday, like your future kids if you are going to have any. Or pass along the knowledge to generations.

This is why keeping a book in good shape is important. At least, this is my opinion.:)

I don't go to extreme lengths to keep my books looking nice, but I do try to keep the spines of my books unbroken, and I can't stand bent covers. With the very large paperbacks it's almost impossible to read comfortably without breaking the spine, though, so I don't mind too much then, but I do find myself running my finger down the spine of the book that I'm reading to make sure the spine is intact. I don't mind too much if I do break the spine, I just prefer them to stay whole. And I also take the DJs off of hardbacks when I read them, but it's more of a comfort thing than an effort to preserve them.

I'm about the same, MonkeyCatcher. A good point by astralKnight, too. Though it could backfire if you pay so much attention to keeping the books looked after that your kids may be too afraid to touch them in case they get into trouble. ;)

I've heard that books 'like' to be kept in conditions similar to what we enjoy. If wherever you keep your books feels too warm or too cold for you, then it probably is too warm or cold for the books.

On the other hand, I don't much like being kept on a shelf behind glass, so there's clearly a limit to how far you can take that advice. ;)

I try to keep all my books in as good a condition as I can. I hate seeing the spines creased, pages torn and covers bent. If it is a book I am collecting (generally as part of a series) I tend to buy the hardcover and keep it in pristine condition, then if I wasnt to re-read it a few times I buy it again in paperback :eek:

I also buy 'throw-away' reads for the beach as they always get wet, bent etc :(

steffee said:
Plastic isn't biodegradable.

It is true, but that is the idea though. Just think of this, you can drink coffee while reading, in case you drop it, just pick it up. And if you read while doing your own laundry, not afraid of the splash of the water.

I called it "wonder book". So, you do not have to baby it so much. And they last forever. But you are right, it isn't biodegradable.

:(

daryl? said:
I'm about the same, MonkeyCatcher. A good point by astralKnight, too. Though it could backfire if you pay so much attention to keeping the books looked after that your kids may be too afraid to touch them in case they get into trouble. ;)

I've heard that books 'like' to be kept in conditions similar to what we enjoy. If wherever you keep your books feels too warm or too cold for you, then it probably is too warm or cold for the books.

On the other hand, I don't much like being kept on a shelf behind glass, so there's clearly a limit to how far you can take that advice. ;)

Sounds familiar, like dating? This is how you should treat your girlfriend. lol

Too warm or too cold?

Ice said:
I try to keep all my books in as good a condition as I can. I hate seeing the spines creased, pages torn and covers bent. If it is a book I am collecting (generally as part of a series) I tend to buy the hardcover and keep it in pristine condition, then if I wasnt to re-read it a few times I buy it again in paperback :eek:

I also buy 'throw-away' reads for the beach as they always get wet, bent etc :(

I am the same. I end up too many books. :D

Back