• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to keep a book looks like new forever.

astralKnight

I have tons of books, but unfortunately not knowing the tricks to keep the books in good shape.

What are the tips that you could provide?

And please don't tell me the tip is "Buy it and never read it." :D Sometime, I will buy two identical books, so one book does not go bad after years.

Cheers,

In library school they told us that the best way to preserve books is to keep them at cool temperatures, about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and to keep them away from natural light - in fact, the darker the better. Make sure they're printed on acid-free paper. Keep them away from mold, insects, and other things that eat books.

I cover all my books while reading them

astralKnight said:
I have tons of books, but unfortunately not knowing the tricks to keep the books in good shape.

What are the tips that you could provide?

I use anything I can find : brown wrapping paper, posters... Glossy paper is surprisingly resistant and I can use the covers several times. I just take it off the book I've finished reading and slip it unto the new one. That way, the books remain like new even if I carry them about in my bag. And of course, I never read with greasy fingers !

Don't take them around with you? Protect them with covers, then read the pages gingerly. Take them from the shelf, read them, and replace them.

I like that my books look worn and read. Sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm weird.

ds

I remove the dust jackets while I read the books, and put them back on when I finish. That's one way to keep the dj's looking nice.

I agree CDA. All my books have creased spines. I lug them everywhere I go, chuck them on the floor of the car, read them in the bath, etc. I get into trouble for it, and some people I know read books ever so carefully, so as not to give any sign it's been read, and I wonder what the point is. Books are meant to be read, not ornaments... saying that, I have the utmost respect for people who look after their belongings, whatever they are, including books.

steffee, I'm thinking more along the lines of a gift, actually. :D

I've got another suggestion - get one of those bookshelves with grooves along the sides so that you may attach a glass door on it later (or get bookshelves that come with glass doors attached). I'm thinking along the lines of those Billy bookcases from Ikea. Books stored behind glass doors stay healthier, longer. Well, less dust, definitely.

ds

I like that my books look worn and read. Sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm weird.

That's not weird! I fell exactly the same way! I break the spine as soon as it's possible and take my books with me anywhere - the bath, the beach etc. However, if I have a big bag I will sometimes put the book in a small plastic bag before I put it in my bag in order to keep the pages from getting ripped or the cover to get bent in the general mess. That usually keeps the books real nice IMO. Maybe too nice ;). So that's the best advice I can give you, astralKnight. If you're more careful than that, it's over my head :).

pink shadow said:
That's not weird! I fell exactly the same way! I break the spine as soon as it's possible...
Er... I do like the look of a throughly read book, with worn pages and stuff, but breaking the spine as soon as possible is not something I do though. In fact, I try as far as possible not to break the spine, but if it does, oh well. I've plenty of books with glossy covers which are curved from reading, but the spines are still nice and unbroken.

What did I tell you about weird...?

ds

direstraits said:
Er... I do like the look of a throughly read book, with worn pages and stuff, but breaking the spine as soon as possible is not something I do though. In fact, I try as far as possible not to break the spine, but if it does, oh well. I've plenty of books with glossy covers which are curved from reading, but the spines are still nice and unbroken.

What did I tell you about weird...?

ds

OK, you're right, you ARE weird! ;). But then again, maybe I am too, since I can break the spine, but not bend the cover. The breaking of the spine is mostly a matter of comfort, because it's easier to hold the book open if you break it. Or - on a psyhologically deeper level - maybe I just break the spines, because I can't see anything with a spine, since I don't have one myself? ;)

Call me odd, I've heard it before..but I'm always a little suspicious of a book that's obviously older, and yet is in pristine condition. Has it been in quarantine or something? It's like a doll that's still in it's box..lovely, but sad.

I like my books to look read; not necessarily falling apart, but at least like they've been opened several times. :D

As far as keeping them looking relatively nice - with hardcovers, I always take the dust-jacket off them when reading them; with paperbacks I don't bend the pages fully back. I used to cover books with contact when I was younger, but now I just couldn't be bothered.

My library uses these adjustable clear covers (not sticky), called an "Adjustable Lyfjacket", from 'Book Protectors and Co.', and their paperbacks are always in really good nick. Their website is here.

Stewart said:
Hold the pages open slightly, don't bend the spine.

One of my pet peeves is seeing people reading with the cover bent all the way back..a book should be read, not tortured:rolleyes:

I almost had a heart attack on the train the other day when the guy sitting opposite had burst the spine and then, as the train pulled into a station, he thrust the book into his bag still open! :eek:

Stewart said:
I almost had a heart attack on the train the other day when the guy sitting opposite had burst the spine and then, as the train pulled into a station, he thrust the book into his bag still open! :eek:

Sorta brought out the Inner Librarian there, didn't it? I empathize completely;) I probably would have gasped loudly enough for folks in Siberia to hear, and made everyone gawk at the idgit...

Back