• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to keep a book looks like new forever.

I have never understood why you would buy something that has a use and let it sit on a shelf. My books go everywhere with me; home, school, the restroom, the bath, on trips, to the movies, everywhere. I also love bags and the bigger the better, because I usually carry at least 2-3 books with me. So my book tend to get beaten up, and I have some paperbacks that are dying. And hardbacks, now that I think about it.

angerball said:
OMG!! :eek: That's awful. :eek: Could you clean it before you returned it to the library? :eek:

No, I direct-deposited it into the trash can. The librarian was mad because I didn't take the book back to them. I told them the situation, that I thought I was doing them a favor by not bringing it back in such a nasty state..

angerball said:
Another way to protect books is to not do what I did last night. :(

I put my hardcover (sans dust jacket) copy of Cell on the table, not realising I had put it on top of a wet kitchen cloth. :mad: This morning I picked up the book and got one helluva shock. There was a big wet patch on the cover, and even the first inside page had that wet look (all crinkled). :( It's all dried now, but it has left a big stain on the cover. :mad: Bah!!!! :mad:

This is why I hope some genius can invent type of material between plastic and paper for the books. This way we can be worry free.

I got this idea from Akashic record, it is also called "book of life", it has records all individual human past lives. It is transparent like plastic, but it is not the earth plastic. When you astral project near it, it will show vivid colors and words. Unfortunately not many human are able to read it, because it is in another dimension you have to astral project to read it.:eek:

angerball said:
:eek: If I lent someone a book and it came back to me all tatty, I'd never lend them anything again. :mad:

And they will be lucky if they do not lose the friendship, either. (Joking)

But for sure they will be on the "Do not call back list." like a week? :D

I own a book ("The never ending story") that a friend of mine vomited on fifteen years ago. About half of the pages are still stained.
My copy of Ken Grimwood's "Replay" looks like someone's skewered it. There's a hole that goes straight through the whole paperback. Not sure how that happened, but it doesn't obscure any words, so it's just kind of charming, really. My copy of "Blindness" is held together by large amounts of duct tape.
I /really/ like creased backs on paperbacks. It makes them look cosy, dangit!

So, book-lovers, beware my home; a visit may scar you for life.

I'm quite kind towards them all though, despite these extreme examples, and I never intentionally do them harm. But yes, once I'm done with a paperback, its back tends to look like it's been through pregnancy.

I did, however, cringe when I saw how a friend of mine handled a hardcover book she'd just bought. Some of you may wish to avert your eyes, as it's not a story for those of a delicate disposition.

The first thing she did was open it to somewhere near the middle, and make the front and back cover lie flat against a tabletop, while she pulled her fist along the crevice betwixt the two halves. I could swear I heard a feeble moan just before its strained back snapped.
Why'd she do it? Because she likes to keep books lying flat on the table while reading, without having to hold the pages open.

LOL Oystein. Love your description of the books back looking like it had been through pregnancy. If pregnancy did that to it's back, however is it's poor front looking?:eek: :D

Øystein said:
I own a book ("The never ending story") that a friend of mine vomited on fifteen years ago. About half of the pages are still stained.
My copy of Ken Grimwood's "Replay" looks like someone's skewered it. There's a hole that goes straight through the whole paperback. Not sure how that happened, but it doesn't obscure any words, so it's just kind of charming, really. My copy of "Blindness" is held together by large amounts of duct tape.
I /really/ like creased backs on paperbacks. It makes them look cosy, dangit!

So, book-lovers, beware my home; a visit may scar you for life.

I'm quite kind towards them all though, despite these extreme examples, and I never intentionally do them harm. But yes, once I'm done with a paperback, its back tends to look like it's been through pregnancy.

I did, however, cringe when I saw how a friend of mine handled a hardcover book she'd just bought. Some of you may wish to avert your eyes, as it's not a story for those of a delicate disposition.

The first thing she did was open it to somewhere near the middle, and make the front and back cover lie flat against a tabletop, while she pulled her fist along the crevice betwixt the two halves. I could swear I heard a feeble moan just before its strained back snapped.
Why'd she do it? Because she likes to keep books lying flat on the table while reading, without having to hold the pages open.

You should write a book, it should be called " My treacherous journeys for owning new books."

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Back