• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hurricane Rita

laboi_22

Well here we go again guys. Hurricane Rita is due to ram sack the Texas coast by Friday. Louisiana however is at a great risk also. Our state will be placed on the Eastern side of this huge storm, and will get bashed pretty darned good. Rita is said to be the thrid largest and most powerful storm on record today. That record does not include Katrinia, however I don't forsee quiet the loss of life here as compared to New Orleans, which was predisopsed to the "levee factor."

My parish (Vermillion) is enforcing mandatory evacuations. I live on the coast line about 5 miles from Interocostal City. That means I'm outtie. I'll be staying with my sister further inland. I know that my dog and I will be fine. Not sure however of the fate of my new home. Boo-hoo. I guess that's what insurance is for. :)

I do want to wish everyone in Louisiana a safe evacuation. Cajun Momma lives in Iberia Parish, I believe, which some areas have been evacuated by mandatory orders of the local government. I hope that you and your family Cajun Momma will be safe.

I don't know when I'll be able to come back to TBF since my sister doesn't even own a computer much less internet access, and the electicity may be out for days espically in my neck of the woods. So happy sailing everyone! Hope to hear from you all very soon!

Justin

abecedarian said:
Best thoughts and prayers for you and everyone in the path of this storm.

Yes, I hope you stay safe and can return home soon, check in when you can :)

But of course you wouldn't know, because the press only seems interested in the US. I kept looking at the TV and saying over and over, "What about Cuba!?" Has anyone heard anything about how Cuba made out?

That's because it's the US off-shore platforms and refineries that'll determine gas prices all over the world - not a few Cuban lives and homes.

Ahem bitterness aside:

Best of luck to all of those who will need it during the storm - be they from Cuba, Texas, Louisiana, or other locales affected by Rita, may she turn out to be a b*tch y'all can handle ;)

Stupid Rita. I live in Lafayette, LA and things are pretty intense right now. We don't have to evacuate but people are really worried. When Katarina hit people here were going swimming and having birthday parties in the back yard. Things have certainly changed. The streets are jammed, the gas stations are lined up, and all of the grocery stores are packed. I guess it's good that people are trying to get prepared.

I hope it doesn't get really bad and I end I end up in a shelter. Rita couldn't have come at a worse time.

abecedarian said:
Have you all looked at the satellite photos of Rita? Zikes, it looks humongous, and I think Cuba is taking a beating right now.

Not only that, but look at the eye. The smaller and more well defined the eye is, the worse the storm. This is certainly not a good year for the Gulf Coast.

good luck to everyone in the path and hope you and your loved ones get through this. It certainly is a bad couple of years to live on the Gulf Coast, like mehastings said.

Yes, best of wishes and prayers for everyone in Rita's path, including my son and his family down in Houston, and friends from New Orleans who went silent with Katrina and, three weeks later, still haven't been heard from :(
Best wishes to all,
Peder

Best wishes to all those in the path of Rita - my thoughts are going out to you. I hope that you stay safe and do not suffer too many losses.

Good luck.. call in whenever you can and let us know how you are doing!

FOX news has footage of a busted levee in New Orleans. My brother and his family are flying up to Colorado to visit us and they had to fly out of Austin instead of Houston. Absolutely amazing how bad this one is. Hope everyone down there makes it out o.k.
th_coffee.jpg

Back