• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I have a problem...

firestarterut

Okay this might sound pretty dumb. Recently I've been reading "The More Than Complete Hitchhikers Guide" and I'm finding it hard to enjoy the book. I spend more time trying to get comfortable. I've tried reading sitting up straight, laying down (face down and face up), standing up and so on, but I just can't get comfortable. How do you all ready and stay comfortable? I want to be able to read without shifting my body. Haha I know its pretty dumb but I'll try anything short of hanging upside down from a tree. THanks

Well, that is a rather large book there. I have The Ultimate Guide in trade paperback, and even that is hefty. For a big book I generally prop up in bed with a few pillows and do the best I can.

You've touched on something that I think more people agree can be an issue-what position to assume while reading!. I have a great recliner and so I lean back and read, the only problem is that i fall asleep soon afterwards.:D

I lay in bed face down to read. I place a good plump pillow under my arms which i fold in front of me. If the book wont stay open, I hold it instead. I think a pillow is a good tool because if you try to read laying face down without one, your arching your back too far back (to me, it hurts). A pillow helps keep it straight/not too bent if placed under your belly...that's just me...:cool:

Haha those are very good. It's just that about 2 years ago I had back injury during a football game and I find reading rather difficult now. I read on my side or face down a lot, but my neck begins to hurt after a while so I lay flat and have the book directly above me but my arms get tired. I'm getting tired of shifting around and having to stop reading because I can't concentrate on the book. But I think I'll try the one where I get a lot of pillows and kind of sit down. I haven't really tried that.:p

On the sofa I sit with my back in the corner with lots of throw pillows for support with my legs up. In bed I gather all the pillows we own and put them between my back and the headboard - that's probably the most comfortable, but I usually only do that at night.

I read in bed kind of lounging. I also read on my couch with my feet up and stretched out. Or I read in my 'writing couch' with my feet curled under me. Come to think of it, I usually shift quite a bit while I'm reading but it's never bothered me.

Now that's what I do but I get pains in my shoulder that way :rolleyes:
Thats diffrent that yuo get pains in your sholders because I don't. Maybe you should use the pillow idea (RedGlazzies suggested) under your arms when your laying down in that position.

I lay face down on my bed. I wrapped my arms around two fluffy pillows, stacked; I have the book before me on the bed. A bookweight keeps the pages open. That's it. Nice and simple. :)

I lay face down on my bed. I wrapped my arms around two fluffy pillows, stacked; I have the book before me on the bed. A bookweight keeps the pages open. That's it. Nice and simple. :)
I've not heard of a bookweight before, I figured it keeps the pages of the book open, bit like a paperweight, so I looked on google images to see what it looks like and sure enough the pictures of a book weight looks intresting! I notice in the images that it only keeps hard back books open. Does it keep paperback books open too?

I curl up in bed with two pillows and a blanket, plus some food and drink. One pillow is normal length, the other is full length, and they help a lot since I have a bad back. And the blanket's just so darn snuggly. ^_^

I curl up in bed with two pillows and a blanket, plus some food and drink. One pillow is normal length, the other is full length, and they help a lot since I have a bad back. And the blanket's just so darn snuggly. ^_^
Feel like a slob? ;)

Getting comfortable when reading has often been a problem for me as I tend to toss and turn when reading just like I do when trying to get to sleep. The other problem is that when I finally do get comfortable, I often fall asleep while reading.

My solution on both counts is audiobooks.

i thought i was the only one with this problem! i can never get comfortable on the couch in my living room. it varies on my bed.

Recline, but not too much

For me a recliner is the answer, as I need to get my feet up to be comfortable any length of time.

Haha wow I'm surprised how many people had problems with this. Was beginning to think it was only me. Well I recently took the advice to lay face down and put a pillow under me to try keep my back straight and it has taken away quite some pain. :D

I tend to shuffle about a lot when I read, but generally the most comfortable position for me is lying on the sofa on my right side. Any other position, and I tend to keep moving about. :rolleyes:

Back