• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Donnie Darko Book.
Its basicly just the script to the movie and a interview with Richard Kelly but it gives a great insight into the movie and the process of getting it made.
If you like the movie its a great book to read.

Thanks to somebody...

...in the favorite authors sections, I think, I picked up "The Body Artist" at the library, and I've just finished reading it. This was my first DeLillo book, but it certainly won't be my last.

(Confession: I listened to the book, read by Laurie Anderson, and she did a magnificent job of it. Sooooo... this post could have gone under at least three different threads!

:D

I'm savoring "The Falls", and cramming all this other stuff in in between.

hay82 said:
The Donnie Darko Book.
Its basicly just the script to the movie and a interview with Richard Kelly but it gives a great insight into the movie and the process of getting it made.
If you like the movie its a great book to read.

That was an awesome movie. :cool: I had to watch it several times, and I still don't fully get it. xD I'll check this out. :D

To answer the thread question, I just finished reading Rand's The Fountainhead.. I loved it. A lot of her philosophy I didn't agree with, but I thought a lot of it was amazing and it was an exceptional read.

Love4OneAnother said:
That was an awesome movie. :cool: I had to watch it several times, and I still don't fully get it. xD I'll check this out. :D
I don't think anyone can really get the movie, it doesn't have just one thing its trying to tell. Think you'll have to settle for what the movie tells you. Oh and if you haven't, then see the directors cut its brilliant.

Just finished Brady Udall's "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint". Liked it *alot*. Bit of a hurried ending, I thought, but the fact that it's got one of the best opening lines I've read in a long time kind of made up for that.

Very good stuff indeed.

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

as long as this book was and the time spent reading it i'm sad i'm done
this one will be read again maybe a different translation next time and i will buy it in hardback

i read the David Magarshack translation

well after finishing The Brothers Karamazov(a monster of a book) a couple days ago i thought i would stay on the russian theme and read the short story The Death Of Ivan Ilych-Tolstoy

not the best choice for me since last week i attended a funeral for a man that died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

i need to start doing better research into what i read

"No One Writes to the Colonel" written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
The Colonel's final word was of a dimension of its own.

I knew you would ask! :D

Nah, it was my first. I have read a few pages of "Love in the Time of Cholera" though, does that count? :eek: I guess not.
To tell you the truth, I didn't get what the "message" or purpose of this book was, untill I came to the last few lines, which I found to be remarkable, and that is the reason why I think this book was worth reading. It kind of made up for the rest, if you get what I mean.

Have you read it?

hehe, you knew? :D

No, I have not read that one yet! I will read them all in the end! :D But I am really intriuged by what that last line is?! Marquez for me is like life itself. It's very complex, can be dark, and I don't understand much of it! But Life is still beautiful.

SillyWabbit said:
hehe, you knew? :D

No, I have not read that one yet! I will read them all in the end! :D But I am really intriuged by what that last line is?! Marquez for me is like life itself. It's very complex, can be dark, and I don't understand much of it! But Life is still beautiful.

I'm not telling what the last line is. :p It wouldn't have the same effect on you, as it would if you read the book yourself. Besides, I didn't read it in english, so there is no way I am going into any translations.:eek:
It's of less than 100 pages, you would be able to get through it, in a day. ;)

I was supposed to read Perdido Street Station, but got sidetracked and finished _Shards of Honor_ by Lois McMaster Bujold. It was quite short and I finished it accidentally.

I don't see her mentioned often in here, and wonder if anybody else thinks she's cool.

I'm back with regular programming with PSS.

ds

I've just finished reading My Sister's Keeper. Forget who the author is, possibly Jodi someone (although that could be completely wrong :p ).

Don't know if any of you have heard of this book, but it's about a thirteen year old girl who sues her parents for rights to her own body after she was genetically engineered to be an exact match for her sister, who has leukaemia.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although it was very predictable in places - to be honest, there are only so many ways you can end a book like that - and it struck a little close to home in places (I'm good friends with someone who has a long-term, life-threatening illness).

Anyway, I would recommend it.

Last week...

Within the last week I just finished a book by Michael Biasden called Men Cry In The Dark. I can't believe how it turned out. Great! I would tell you guys more about the book, but books are supposed to be understood by the readers point of view. I recommend this book to all men, women, and all those people who really would do just about anything for someone they truly love in the world. I'll let you figure out what the book is about...

-One

Finished two books lately

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens:
I really liked it. It was easy to read and always interesting and entertaining. Though it's not a book that "enlightens" you, it surely is a good and wonderful book. It sometimes becomes a little bit long and very detailed, a little bit too detailed.

The Tempest by William Shakespeare:
Not my favorite play from Shakespeare, but it definitely ranks among his best and it may be even one of his most "overlooked" little masterpieces. From what i read from him, i would rank it as his third or fourth best play.

My Story - The Great Plague

I found this book very interesting and gave a very good insight into the supersticions and medicaments concerning the plague and the all round chaos of the plague.

After a reminder from Kookamoor on the "Hilarious Reads" threads, I just gave Tony Hawks - Round Ireland With A Fridge a whirl. Been meaning to get to it for a while, and I'm glad I did. Insane (and yet strangely satisfying), and very, very funny.

I just put down Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. It has been on my wish list for quite a while, and I purchased it yesterday on sale at Books-A-Million. So far, it's the best book I've read this year (out of 5). It only took me a day to read it, which is very unusual for me, even though it was shorter than most books I choose. I really enjoyed the fact that the novel revolved around letters of the alphabet and words - I'm a definite lexicophile. But I also relished the characters, especially Ella.

I highly recommend this novel for anyone who loves the alphabet and the countless words that can be created with those precious, necessary 26 letters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back