• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gizmo said:
To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee Harper

Woa! This little girl is so cool! You have to read this!!! :D

One of my favorite books growing up. I did a parody of it for bobbyburns' Halloween present. My version was a musical. The bobster played Boo Radley.

I finished Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveler. An unusual book, to say the least. Hmmmm, how to describe it? It is a book about books and reading. Not your ordinary tale, either. It may be a little confusing at first. It is written in the second person, which is unusual, as well. I liked it alot, but then again, I like many kinds of genres and writing styles. Heck, I'll read just about anything that holds still long enough, HAH!!

Just finished Foucault's Pendulum. I know there is another thread that discusses the book so I won't go on too much. Even though it took me a while to get into it, it was a great read and very amusing in places.

I just finished Disgrace by JM Coetzee. This is one of the best books I have ever read. Read it if you haven't already.

I just finished The Christmas Train by David Baldacci. It was an incredible book! I can already tell that this book is going to become an annual tradition. :)

Recently finished Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Found it price tagged a dollar, so bought it, hoping to gain some insight on the Arab disposition and mind set, interested to know something about those things, the world being the way it is today.

Was not disappointed. Lawrence expresses himself with incredible clarity, economy and elegance. He is (I should say was) the keenest of observers, clearest and sharpest of interpreters. In a couple of pages he imparts what some writers would need a chapter to tell. People who appreciate such writing as his will enjoy reading it, and will come away from it with some knowledge of history they didn’t have before, and some understanding, I think, of where America’s favourite enemy of the moment is coming from.

Abe said:
I just finished Disgrace by JM Coetzee. This is one of the best books I have ever read. Read it if you haven't already.

I agree with you. It's a great novel; brilliantly written. :)

dele said:
I just finished The Christmas Train by David Baldacci. It was an incredible book! I can already tell that this book is going to become an annual tradition. :)
I read that about a year ago. I really enjoyed it, too.

I just finished The Golden Ratio by Mario Livio. It's a nonfiction about the number phi, a.k.a. The Golden Ratio, and the Divine Proportion. This number is not the most famous number, but it is incredibly amazing. It pops up everywhere from the formation of galaxies to the formation of shells to the calculation of Fibonacci numbers.

The book is by no means some kinds of consipiracy theory. Livio spends the first few chapters dispelling plenty of fanciful myths about places the number shows up in ancient art and architecture. He then goes into some math history and how the number came to be calculated and applied.

The thing I learned in this book that still has my head spinning is that random numbers aren't completely random. If you're interested, look into Benford's Law. That kills me. How can random numbers not be random? Anyway, it's food for thought. I enjoyed it. I suggest it for people who like to know more about math and the world.

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, Monsters of Saint Helena by Brooks Hansen and the first book in Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I enjoyed the Hoffman book. I can identify all too well with two characters (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing). The Hansen book was a fictionalization of events that occurred on the island of St. Helena when Napoleon was exiled there. I didn't think I'd like it, but I finished it in two days! And the Lemony Snickett book...what can I say? It is a kids book, but now and then, I need an easy read. Anyway, the story is interesting and I wanted to know what my daughter is reading (she checked it out of the library).

I just finished A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham and Fables and Recollections by Neil Gaiman.

I just finished reading Rats by Robert Sullivan. I thought I'd read it so when I spot the occasional rat, I won't think it is so creepy. Nope. Rats are creepy. The book was fascinating though, and it made me think a little about my own ratness. :)

Cold Mountain

I thought it was like the war itself, got off to a good start, got bogged down in mud and incompetance, and dribbled to undefined closure. Some scenes were great, like when they caught the catfish: --They God, Veasy said.
That kills me.

Just got done with Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. I don't see why people would not like this book. Probably my favorite book, a great read. I love books with emotion. I could relate them to my life so much, it's unbelievable. For some reason it reminds me of the Jungle by Upton Sinclair, but the ending is not ruined like in the other book. It reminds me, it's altogether different too, it's a lot more psychological. I'm still pretty much mesmorized by this book, and am probably gonna read more books from him. What book do you recommend I start off with? I'm thinking "Notes From the Underground".

Just finished Jack Higgins 'A Season in Hell' Back tracking on an oldie for me but it was classic Higgins. Full of action as always with 'to die for' characters.. you even end up liking the bad guy... even if you recognize the same characters and places '... a scar running from his eye...' , 'Wapping..' but you don't mind because the story carries you on and it takes a great stroryteller to achieve that. Onward to a fairly new author for me, Bernard Cornwall and 'The Rebel', the first of the Starbuck Chronicles.

I just finished Mort by Terry Pratchett. Err... a wee bit disappointed after the glowing praises from everywhere. It was funny, but would have enjoyed it more if he kept everyone and the plot was about something else entirely. :D

ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back