• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. That book was amazing, I loved it from page one. The way it's told is really strange and different and I like that he has chosen to comment on the book in the first and last chapter. And, if I have understood the book, he uses a lot of sarcasm in the book which makes it more powerfull.. but then again who says I understood it.
Only thing that was irritating, was that I didn't have time to read more than 30 pages a day. :(

I now have to get Mother Night and Timequake to see if they are as good as Slaughterhouse 5.

Just finished Encyclopedia of Snow by Sarah Emily Milano.

Very clever, touching, and unusual book. I can recommend it :)

The structure is unlike a traditional novel. The novel takes the form of entries that range from A through to Z. Under each entry is a small story or an article or a newspaper clipping or a definition of some word. Everything is linked to snow and a central story ( which I won't give away here ) that's very moving and touching.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... what do I read next? :)

Blindness.....
Jose Saramago

View attachment atinypic_com_urmdc

I have just finished reading this book, and thought it was fantastic.
And now want to read some more Saramago.
Its Defy one to Read ............................

Currently reading: 2..
Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier (who wrote 'Girl with a Pearl Earring')

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

And lined up for Christmas ;) the treatment by Mo Hayder....

View attachment atinypic_com_urmfm

Mrs. Woolf

Just finished reading Mrs Dalloway AND The Hours... thought it might be an interesting experiment to read them concurrently :p Read Dalloway sometime back but I had time on my hands, so why not. It was quite interesting really. I wonder if it is a similar experience to what a Pink Floyd cum Wizard of Oz sitting might offer. Hmmm, feel a new experiment coming up...

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Really good!!! A very fast paced techno-thriller. I really got into it. I read it while taking a little break from T.H. White.

PHEW! You really get through them don't you? lol :)

Yeah, Snow Crash was a good one! I liked it a lot. It was well paced with some good action but also some interesting ideas thrown into the mix!

SillyWabbit said:
PHEW! You really get through them don't you? lol :)

Yes, I guess I do. *chuckles*
It's partly because I am a fast reader and partly because I watch only a small amount of tv. There is so much good stuff out there that I want to read !!!! Even my other hobbies have started to suffer :( So I have recently tried to limit my reading time to the evenings, which makes out to be about 2 to 4 hours most evenings (depending on how quiet the kids are after supper and baths, and various other things).

I just finished "Great Expectations"! :D :D :D
I didn't like Pip at all, and I think he got what he deserved. I would have been happier if he got killed though, but whatever... :p

Maya said:
I just finished "Great Expectations"! :D :D :D
I didn't like Pip at all, and I think he got what he deserved. I would have been happier if he got killed though, but whatever... :p

But isn't the convict Magwitch a great hero?

The weirdest part of that book is the character Estella. She seems to have no mind of her own. Why does Pip even like her? I just never got Estella at all.

I finally (finally!!) got my way through John Wyndham's The Day Of The Triffids - it was an enjoyable read, but hugely flawed, in my opinion.

Cheers

novella said:
But isn't the convict Magwitch a great hero?

The weirdest part of that book is the character Estella. She seems to have no mind of her own. Why does Pip even like her? I just never got Estella at all.

Yeah, Estella was a total weirdo, but that wasn't really that surprising, considering who she was brought up by. Miss Havisham, GOD, she really got on my nerves! Locking herself up in that house, because a certain guy refused to marry her. How pathetic is that. :eek: She should just have killed herself, I mean committed suicide. It would have been the same as not seeing daylight... nearly..
Since she was such a witch, I didn't like her getting the chance to redeem all her "sins". My opinion is that she should have stayed the witch she was, and just died that way. :D
Magwitch, was fun, I think it wouldn't have been such an interesting tale, hadn't it been for him. :)
I loved Joe, I loved him even more when he got married to Biddy. (What a cute revenge, which really wasn't a revenge at all, since he didn't marry her to revenge himself on Pip).

If Estella was real, you know, as in person, I wouldn't have liked to meet her EVER, because she really gave me the creeps. :eek:

I liked the "nickname" Herbert gave his father-in-law: Gruffandgrim, if I'm not mistaken. :D Doesn't that sound cool? :p
Gruffandgrim, Gruffandgrim, Gruffandgrim... I like the sound of it. :D

The Catcher in the Rye - 10 yrs since i first read this one - not as good as i remember but still made me chuckle at times

3rd Degree- james patterson
i enjoyed this book just as much as the first 2
i wonder if they will make this series into a movie and who they would cast to play lindsey boxer

dan_k_buds said:
The Catcher in the Rye - 10 yrs since i first read this one - not as good as i remember but still made me chuckle at times

3rd Degree- james patterson
i enjoyed this book just as much as the first 2
i wonder if they will make this series into a movie and who they would cast to play lindsey boxer

Catcher in the Rye is the subject of this month's discussion thread. Maybe you'd like to chime in on that?

Island in the Sea of Time - S.M. Stirling

I thought it was pretty good. I like apocalyptic survival stuff and this book put a new twist on that Genre (if its even really in it)

2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke

Really strange. The lack of dialogues is frustrating and the end is weird.

Never actually got through that one Gizmo. The only one of the series I've read is the last one, which is very good.

I just finished reading John Grisham's Skipping Christmas! It was very entertaining and great to get into the Christmas spirit. :)

Just finished reading "Betrayal" by Harold Pinter. It was written in a strange chronological structure. It kind of started with the ending, and then ended with the beginning... if that makes sence. In other words the story was written in kind of a reverse order.
It's a play by the way. I think I'll read more of him in the future. :)

When we were orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really enjoyed it but the main character frustrated me towards the end. I think perhaps he's supposed to.

hatter said:
When we were orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really enjoyed it but the main character frustrated me towards the end. I think perhaps he's supposed to.

That is one bizarre book. Towards the middle you realize the narrator is completely unreliable and the whole thing kind of crumbles apart.

It has much in common with The Hamilton Case, which was published this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back