• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading "Pawley's Island" by Dorothea Benton Frank. It is a great summer read and is a page turner. I would give it a 4 star rating and recommend it enthusiastically to everyone. This is not a classic type of book but is a fun read.

One of these days I’ll learn my lessons and just stop reading really popular, let alone award winning, recent books…but I ‘caught’ these 2 at a BookCrossing café so at least didn’t contribute to the profits these, um, writers are banking in:

_Vernon Gawd Little_ by DBC Something
Chalk it up as another book whose main character needs more of an ass-kicking (see: Hold-on Caulfield; see: Ignatius Duncesky) instead of a novel devoted to his story. I got up to about 50 “fucken” (a word tirelessly used on damn near every page) pages and then had no desire to pick it up again. So I didn’t.

_The Lovely Bones_ by Alice Sebold
Almost an interesting concept but not very interesting read, with sweeping verges too far away from some kind of setting that it’s trying to portray. Aside from my flinches at every mention of “heaven” (note to writer: you’re a creator, try creating) and my reading assaulted at such things as an *observing narrator* telling me what people are THINKING (note to writer and editor: that’s “fucken” impossible!) and Sebold’s 100% fail-rate at using a metaphor with any strength, I decided to put it down after 100 pages.

2 more nails in the coffin of contemporary fiction.

Big Fish

Ronny said:
I felt exactly the same way. I loved both but I was surprised by how different they really were.
No kidding, Ronny! Usually when a book is made into a movie, you tend to love one and hate the other. Or at the very least, one is really dissapointing. But yeah, I loved them both too.

Here's a question (I don't know how long ago you read the book, so I hope you remember). Which version of Edward's birth did you prefer - the book or the movie version. I preferred the book's immensely, I thought it was more congruous with the rest of the story (ie the water theme).

cheers

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. I thought it was excellent. My favourite of the series so far or maybe second to The Waste Lands after the buzz of Wolves wears off. Up next - James A Michener's Hawaii.

Just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. First book I've read by him and I loved it! Definitely suggest it and I see it's a contender for August BotM.

I just finished reading "When We Dead Awaken" by Henrik Ibsen. It was an ok read. This was my favourite part:

IRENE
We see the irretrievable only when—
[Breaks off.]
PROFESSOR RUBEK
[Looks inquiringly at her.] When---?
IRENE
When we dead awaken.
PROFESSOR RUBEK
[Shakes his head mournfully.] What do we really see then?
IRENE
We see that we have never lived.

:cool:

I just finished 'The Last Kingdom' by Bernard Cornwell and I'll definately read more of his books. I liked the style and thought it was really engrossing and addictive read, as well as really informative about a period in history I have a huge interest in :)
I WAS reading Stephen King's 'The Gunslinger', having heard so many good things about it..But I simply couldn't bring myself to finish it. Maybe I should, but I just found it terribly disappointing. I didn't like the characters, least of all the protagonist, and I found it wasn't gripping or interesting, and just unnecessarily cryptic. I will say at least that I liked the style of writing, as far as it created quite a good atmosphere. But I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book.
I've just started Wuthering Heights, and that's fantastic.

Detour - james siegel.

His other novel, Derailed, is one of the most incredible books i have read, and i was really looking forward to this book. I was literally waiting four months to get it and read it. More than four months actually. But...I was so disappoined. It was a good plot but the writing was shocking and he didnt state things clearly. A crime novel needs to be informative and clear and plausible...i didnt find any of that in the novel. it was a chore to read. usually, the whole day im waiting to read in bed that night (between the other times in the day im reading) and i AVOIDED reading at night cos of the book.

I dont recomend this book, but i DEFINITLY recomend Derailed. Incredible

Lani

Wabbit said:
I just finished reading Crimson Petal and the White. I enjoyed all 833 pages of it! Writing style is wonderful. Both story and characters keep you gripped.

Highly recommend!

Hi Wabbit or anyone who has read above, Can you tell me please (am bit dumb perhaps)
I have just bought 'Crimson Petal and the White' Not really started it, just read 1st few pages on way home.
Is the writer talking to the reader of the book? :confused:

cheers

Idril Silmaure said:
I WAS reading Stephen King's 'The Gunslinger', having heard so many good things about it...But I simply couldn't bring myself to finish it…But I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book.

It sounds like you’ve graduated as a reader. Congratulations and enjoy your stay in the Land of Literacy.

Idril Silmaure said:
I've just started Wuthering Heights, and that's fantastic.

And I think this is your metaphorical proof in the pudding. Well done.

- - - - - -

Over the weekend I finished up Tim O’Brien’s _The Nuclear Age_ (1985), which was a great disappointment. I came to this one via the ‘domino effect’ which generally works pretty well: a writer I admire mentions something that they like.
In this case it was Haruki Murakami that cited this, and he liked it so much he also translated it into Japanese. That, and I’ve heard some good things about O’Brien over the years.
Overall the story idea is great, the writing fairly strong, but the middle section just dragged and, in my opinion, added little-to-no character depth (or character anything) aside from me saying, “no way would he do that”.
Maybe (although I doubt it) if I read it 20 years ago it would have had more impact (although the character divergence has nothing to do with time), as “war” and “terror” are now terms completely rendered redundant.
The general theme being a boy growing up in the 1950s is ultra-paranoid about bombs and impending war, and this follows him through his life. The story opens with him in 1995 (10 years after the book was published) digging a hole in his yard (a shelter) and disrupting the ‘normalcy’ of his family.
Some good ideas, some nice irony, but overall I almost put the book down twice and I’m a bit disappointed that I didn’t.

Also, Christopher Hitchens' _Thomas Jefferson: Author of America_ (2005).
For years CH has mentioned writing a book on TJ. It’s a pleasure to finally have it. I’m not sure if it was always intended for this little series of “Eminent Lives” (HarperCollins) or if it just found its way in there.
The *worst* thing I can say about this book is that it’s only 188 pages (hardcover, but paperback sized). Obviously at that size we are not dealing with an in-depth biography but more of one of the brightest men currently writing giving some detail about a fascinating man.
In a country that waves flags endlessly without even grasping the basics of history, maybe a few will b encouraged to read this book.
Unfortunately few other titles in the series seem enticing (Bill Bryson on Shakespeare? Please!)
j

'24 Hours' by Greg Isles
This is the first novel I have read by this author,
Was Quite good, but not really for me.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel

I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. That one certainly took me awhile, but I am glad that I made the investment. I thought it was really good, but not great. Unfortunately I can’t quite put my finger on why this is. If I come up with something, I’ll let you know.

I just finished reading 'Dreamside' by Graham Joyce.
Not the best book I've ever read but I did enjoy it for it's off the wall storyline about exploring our and learning to controlling our dreams.
It definitely had some odd moments, but what can I say?
I tend to like books that are odd. :rolleyes:

jay said:
Also, Christopher Hitchens' _Thomas Jefferson: Author of America_ (2005).
For years CH has mentioned writing a book on TJ. It’s a pleasure to finally have it. I’m not sure if it was always intended for this little series of “Eminent Lives” (HarperCollins) or if it just found its way in there.
The *worst* thing I can say about this book is that it’s only 188 pages (hardcover, but paperback sized). Obviously at that size we are not dealing with an in-depth biography but more of one of the brightest men currently writing giving some detail about a fascinating man.
In a country that waves flags endlessly without even grasping the basics of history, maybe a few will b encouraged to read this book.
Unfortunately few other titles in the series seem enticing (Bill Bryson on Shakespeare? Please!)
j

I heard Hitch interviewed on NPR on this book, and aside from the fact that he sounded like he'd just come from the bar, I got the sense that he only finished the book because he'd talked a publisher into an advance.

It also sounded like he didn't introduce any material I didn't encounter in Paul Johnson's 'The Birth of the Modern, which deals with Jefferson in a second-hand way in what amounts to American Civil War backstory in the confines of the 1815 to 1830 span of the Johnson book.

The biggest irony I came away from 'The Birth of the Modern' was America's haste in getting Saddam off the Dinar, even while we keep the genocidal maniac Jackson on our $20. As ruthless and hypocritcal as Jefferson might have been, he was a straight shooter compared with Jackson.

Chixulub said:
I heard Hitch interviewed on NPR on this book, and aside from the fact that he sounded like he'd just come from the bar, I got the sense that he only finished the book because he'd talked a publisher into an advance.

Yes, sadly I fear the alcohol may become a debilitating thing at some point (if it’s not already)...
However, I had no sense of the book being half-thrown together, only that I was hoping for a larger volume.
CH credits the book launching from a few lectures on TJ he was asked to give in 2004, but I swear he talked about this project prior to that, maybe even pre-“911” -an event that really threw off a lot of his priorities. After “911” he completely dropped his Mother Theresa bashing and lost interest in seeing Henry Kissinger being indicted for war crimes, something he was devoutly passionate about.
I guess when one is actually going to about-face and not just agree with a Bush administration, but praise it, aside from ‘finding gawd’, this is pretty close to a lobotomy.

It also sounded like he didn't introduce any material I didn't encounter in Paul Johnson's 'The Birth of the Modern, which deals with Jefferson in a second-hand way in what amounts to American Civil War backstory in the confines of the 1815 to 1830 span of the Johnson book.

I haven’t read that one (but just added it to my notes to ‘look into’), and indeed CH doesn’t bring up anything new, per se, but just talks about some of the history in his way. And does focus on the only-until-recently blatantly denied/ignored/passed over/taboo TJ having black offspring thing. Hell, even Strom Thurmond had “jungle fever”, now it’s even a trendy things to do…
That and TJ’s clearly not-very-religious feelings, which I think is more and more important especially as the leader of the Semi-United Fundamental States of America actually thinks he’s doing gawd’s work and that the founding fathers of that country were all religious whackos like him. As CH is not a believer of invisible people, he pinpoints what many miss or dismiss.

So in light of very few readers getting involved with the 27 volume _The Papers of Thomas Jefferson_ or Malone’s 6 volume _Jefferson and His Times_, I’d highly recommend this little book. Especially to those that consider themselves “proud Americans” and whose knowledge of what they are “proud” of could be fit into the metaphorical thimble.
Word to the wise: Betsy Ross had not a damn thing to do with the flag…

Ok, gotta get back into the straight-jacket now…
j

I've just finished The Red Tent by Anita Diamante, and was completely floored by the quality of her writing. Granted, I had just come out of a serious book drought...but still, some fantastic word play. In the top ten of my 'Best Imagery' list. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back