• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Iain Banks

It seems to be agreed - or doesn't it? - that Banks's non-SF has gone way downhill since the glory days of his first four novels, The Wasp Factory (1984), Walking on Glass (1985), The Bridge (1986) and Espedair Street (1987). I believe Banks is a hugely talented and imaginative writer whose laziness wastes his ability. I liked The Crow Road (1992) the first time I read it but when I went back to it I couldn't bear the cutesy gags constantly being perpetrated by the narrator who, as is increasingly the case with later Banks, was a lightly disguised version of the author. For me though the real rot set in with his subsequent book, Complicity (1993), which I read in a day, not because I was enjoying it immensely (though it was very readable) but because I kept expecting it was blossom into greatness if I persevered for just one more chapter. Interestingly a lot of other people like it and it's widely held up as one of his goodies by others who agree that he's gone off the boil of late.

Another possible reason for his dip in quality - what am I saying? It's an irreversible slide - is that he started to publish SF separately in 1987. Up until then, as in Walking on Glass and The Bridge, his books had frequently used SF within their 'normal' structure to great imaginative effect. Then it seemed that once he was able to get all his imagination out in the SF books, his mainstream stuff went to pot.

His laziness - did I say I would keep this short? whoops - is exemplified by the fact that he used to spend three months of the year (Oct - Dec) writing his annual novel, and the other nine months driving around the Highlands listening to Crowded House albums. Bizarrely, he has now cut down even on this light workload by reducing his output to one novel every two years, and the last one (Dead Air) only took him six weeks! By my reckoning that's a pro rata work rate of one day in 17. Not that the speed of writing would matter if his books were better, but I think the haste now shows. His SF has always been a bit more careful and hasn't drooped the same way - though I haven't read his last couple, Excession and Look to Windward. I see his new one is out in a couple of months: The Algebraist.

Don't worry about keeping it short! It's good to see somebody with something to say! Nothing wrong with good ramble! :D

As for Banks, I can't really add anything constructive to your argument because I have only read his older books. I'll say I really like him. The only book that I have not liked by him is Song of Stone.

I have not read his newer ones so I can't really say if they are any worse or not.

My sister gave me a lend of Wasp Factory last year and I loved it. I was thinking of reading another one of Iain Banks books but got caught up in another series. :)

I can't really comment on what you said, Shade, because I've only read his debut novel The Wasp Factory and his latest (or one of), Dead Air, which, by the way, I both loved. Right now I'm reading The Crow Road, which I like, but sofar I'm not exactly blown away. But still good enough to warrant at least three out of five stars (sofar, mind).

I have a question - his SF, is it readable, or is it full of tech-talk and all that Greg Bear-nonsense that I so much hate?

Cheers

Martin said:
I have a question - his SF, is it readable, or is it full of tech-talk and all that Greg Bear-nonsense that I so much hate?
His sci fi is very readable and far superior to his fiction. He can delve into different dimensions and how various weapons and gadgets work, but it's not really that hard to follow. It's more about the story and he's not there to rub your face in the technical details. The stories which are based more on ships tend to be the most sciency.

I agree that his fiction work has been sliding steadily downwards in recent years, but at the same time his sci fi has just been getting better and better. His books take so many fantastic twists and turns. A Player of Games is a very good book, less based on the AI's and more on the 'human' aspect. I do prefer the stories with more ships in them though, Excession is a firm favourite. But if you're starting out, and you're a bit wary then I think that might be a good one. Of course everyone will disagree about what the best books are anyway.

I don't care about people disagreeing - give me titles! You know what I want and don't want in a SF novel, so, which Iain M. Banks-novel would you suggest for me to start out with?

Cheers

Read A Player of Games, and if you enjoy it, go on to Consider Phlebas, and if you enjoy that then just count yourself as a Banks fan and read them all.

Inversions has no science babble in it, but you need to have some understanding of the Culture and its technology before you'll get who the people are and understand the ending. Against A Dark Background is more about people too.

But definitely A Player of Games. It isn't the first one he wrote, but I think it's a good place to begin if you're wary.

Im surprised that The Bridge isnt considered as amonst his best.The concept of the book played with my head...always a good thing.
However,ive always felt that walking on glass was his best.......the throwaway riddle in it has stayed in my mind since.
Q-what happens when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object
A-the unstoppable force stops and the immovable object moves.

I love the fact that one of the characters lives in a flat so full with books that he has had to build pathways through his rooms.

I agree entirely with your suggestion for his two best books, che. However as the riddle has to be answered by Quiss to enable him to escape the castle, surely that is just a little bit of a spoiler...!

Just been checking out his web-site here . A new SF book is out soon
the new Iain M. Banks novel will be called The Algebraist and will be published by Orbit in October 2004.

Quite a slick site in it's simplicity. Even a forum

igkuk7 said:
I've read Wasp Factory and Complicity, both were excellent.

As for sci-fi, I just finished The Player of Games. It was great. Again with the different styles. Consider Phlebas was just an all out action fest, whereas this was a quite subtle story about another culture with some great charcters. Never have a seen such a personality on a drone.

Iain (M.) Banks has really shot up my favourite authors list simply for his diversity and consistant good. No two books I've read by him so far have been alike. I really think he could write in any genre and still produce something great.

A fan of Banks and Neruda! good taste, don't suppose you listen to Tom Waits as well? On this thread, I have read all of Banks' non SF books and enjoyed all, however, I'm not much of an SF fan but realy enjoyed Use of Weapons, in fact I'd consider it one of his best.

I've read a few of his books, and liked them. However, Dead Air (I think it was called) really put me off him because of the stuff at the start
throwing stuff off a building
- i thought there was no point in it and it was a bit sick.

Culture ships AIs

Hi, All.

Some of the best things about Banks' Culture novels are the ships, which are Artificial Intelligences, btw. Even though they're often enormously powerful fighting vessels, they're sometimes eccentric and have a great sense of humour [as do Banks' aliens, too]

They're prone to giving themselves cool names such as....

No More Mr Nice Guy

Flexible Demeanour

So Much For Subtlety

Grey Area

Attitude Adjuster

A Momentary Lapse Of Sanity

The point is - these huge AI vehicles have the power to wipe-out whole systems - and are sometimes called upon to do exactly that. So giving themselves names which clearly indicate they are eccentric - or even mentally unstable - is hardly likely to endear them to the population of any planet they happen to be orbiting.

These Culture ships, with their playful names, certainly stir the imagination, though, and make for some very amusing reading indeed, I reckon ;0)

btw, I found a list of Culture ship names, here:

http://www.i-dig.info/culture/cultureshiplist.txt

I'm reading my first Banks book. His latest Culture novel in fact "Surface Detail".

The dialogue is fantastic! The characters are fascinating and the story line really keeps you on your toes.

If the other Culture novels are half as good as this i'll have to snap them up and devour them!

Iain M Banks is an awesome author. If I were you I would start with Consider Phlebas and work my way forward - you're in for a treat. I haven't read a bad Banks book yet. Use of Weapons, Look to Windward and The Player of Games are a couple of the culture novels I've really enjoyed, whilst Feersum Endjinn is a favourite 'non-Culture' novel. The State of the Art is a very enjoyable book of short stories, one of them (from which the collection takes its name) is about the Culture in regards to the Earth. Very cool.

Back