• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

inanity.

I doubt Gatsby would be caught dead in a Gatsby, although for him to be caught any other way would be fairly impossible.

Agreed, the Clouche is far more attractive, if one wore a flapper dress and sang Little Egypt, people would not approach you on the street, it's true, but they aren't anyhow, so what the heck? May as well be happy.

Eclair if you want to know why many people do not write much to forum then just read some past comments from this section especially, but also others. There are people who get really offended and nasty about books and everything else. Then there are others who take it personally and say they will not write anymore. And then some who speak of their mental illnesses and then other people write in about that and it aggravates their mental illness. it is quite interesting if you are a psychiatrist, I think.
My question is why are you writng this to yourself. it takes too much time because you have to push reply button every time and wait for it to enter computer. I think this way would be easier and I give example and will call myselves A and B.

A: What do I want to talk about today?
B: How about book I am reading about guy in Nicaragua?
A: Yes okay. I feel it is a very well written and suspenseful story and I am interested in how it turns out, though I am sorry to say I believe it will end sadly.
D: Yes I agree. I think the Indians will kill Rima, though the guy telling story will survive as he is telling story .

See this way you only have to push enter button one time.

I doubt Gatsby would be caught dead in a Gatsby, although for him to be caught any other way would be fairly impossible.

Agreed, the Clouche is far more attractive, if one wore a flapper dress and sang Little Egypt, people would not approach you on the street, it's true, but they aren't anyhow, so what the heck? May as well be happy.

Very Louise Brooks. Singing Little Egypt would make me a star, then I'd lose it all, and have to ask Mr.DeMille for my close up.
If you had to adopt the clothing and style of a literary character, for a period of one year, which character would you choose?

Eclair if you want to know why many people do not write much to forum then just read some past comments from this section especially, but also others. There are people who get really offended and nasty about books and everything else. Then there are others who take it personally and say they will not write anymore. And then some who speak of their mental illnesses and then other people write in about that and it aggravates their mental illness. it is quite interesting if you are a psychiatrist, I think.

That's all very titillating, but it means didly squat to me. All I ask for is a little conversation, have you none to spare oh kind sir?

My question is why are you writng this to yourself. it takes too much time because you have to push reply button every time and wait for it to enter computer. I think this way would be easier and I give example and will call myselves A and B.

A: What do I want to talk about today?
B: How about book I am reading about guy in Nicaragua?
A: Yes okay. I feel it is a very well written and suspenseful story and I am interested in how it turns out, though I am sorry to say I believe it will end sadly.
D: Yes I agree. I think the Indians will kill Rima, though the guy telling story will survive as he is telling story .

See this way you only have to push enter button one time.

I will talk to myself in my own way, you can speak to yourself in your own way.
Tell me about your Nicaraguan book, Jim.

It's hard not to. I wondered if there had been some sort of cleansing fire !

G'morn Eclair, :)
Sorry to have left you in the lurch. Yesterday turned into a very busy day for me away from the keyboard, and then I just fell into bed and slept. Until now, 5 am my time.

Congratulations on the first try!

Yes there has been a a cleansing fire. Several of them, in fact of various sizes, but not of the sort you wonder, and not mine to summarize here. But the hint of it is several posts up (or down).

You remind me of a member who once was here for a long time, She brought a breath of fresh air, but now hasn't been seen for a long time. Too bad.

So anyway,
Welcome.
:flowers:

Very Louise Brooks. Singing Little Egypt would make me a star, then I'd lose it all, and have to ask Mr.DeMille for my close up.
If you had to adopt the clothing and style of a literary character, for a period of one year, which character would you choose?

Heh heh...
Seriously, a good and thought provoking question. For some reason the clothes in books are not a high priority in my reading process. The only accurate answer would be that the clothing would have to be comfortable, loose fitting with lots of pockets.

Ah Ha! An answer came to mind whilst typing...Mary Russell Holmes.

G'morn Eclair, :)
Sorry to have left you in the lurch. Yesterday turned into a very busy day for me away from the keyboard, and then I just fell into bed and slept. Until now, 5 am my time.

Congratulations on the first try!

Yes there has been a a cleansing fire. Several of them, in fact of various sizes, but not of the sort you wonder, and not mine to summarize here. But the hint of it is several posts up (or down).

You remind me of a member who once was here for a long time, She brought a breath of fresh air, but now hasn't been seen for a long time. Too bad.

So anyway,
Welcome.
:flowers:

I have been a member here for a while but never participated, occasionally stopped by to lurk. I've yet to come across a forum where there weren't upheavals and clashes, so I ignore those things and focus on conversation. Thanks for the welcome :)

Pontalba said:
Ah Ha! An answer came to mind whilst typing...Mary Russell Holmes.

An elementary choice!

Libra said:
Did you guys know that elephants are the only animals that can't jump?

I don't believe it either, they might not have ever tried to jump.

beer good said:
Elephants can swim, though. Unlike giraffes and mountain gorillas.
Have you been pushing giraffes and mountain gorillas into water?

I refuse to believe that earthworms can jump

Google, he say, they can jump upto a foot.

What is the ultimate sandwich? What is your favourite, Peder? Everyone? Anyone?
My partner made a kickass meatball sub last night, it was pretty close to perfection but of course I told him it was rubbish.

Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Hot roasted hero: salami, muenster, mayo, no lettuce, no tomato.

Found any good conversation lately?

Roast beef po-boy, N'Awlins style, lots of mayo, gravy and cheese.

Howze it goin'? Read any good books lately?

Hot roasted hero: salami, muenster, mayo, no lettuce, no tomato.

Found any good conversation lately?

Muenster too mild for me, I'll take a big slab of stinky Munster instead. No tomato?:eek:
I thought there was a glimmer of conversation, but it was just my chocolate wrapper shining under the low watt bulb!

Pontalba said:
Roast beef po-boy, N'Awlins style, lots of mayo, gravy and cheese.

Howze it goin'? Read any good books lately?

Gravy, delish. Currently halfway through Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Had many expectations of Joyce, was somewhat disappointed but then this part came along and grabbed my attention: The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld.
He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured. Weakness and timidity and inexperience would fall from him in that magic moment.

Currently halfway through Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Had many expectations of Joyce, was somewhat disappointed but then this part came along and grabbed my attention: The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld.
He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured. Weakness and timidity and inexperience would fall from him in that magic moment.

Yes, Portrait is definitely worth the read, and easily approachable compared to the two big ones more associated with his name. I don't recall the particular thought that you mention; it has been sometime since I read the novel. For me the absolutely standout, riotously funny scene is the family get-together early on (Christmas time?) which turns to politics and ends with one of the relatives being carried out still declaiming and gesticulating. Good clean fun and so reminicent of the true spirit of family gatherings. But, overall, many other memorable scenes and introspections too. Some images -- a lonely walk down a rainy street between reflecting puddles of water -- reminding me of similar treatments by Nabokov also.

Anybody, AND I MEAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that roasts a meatball sub will be sent to Guantanomo. No, **** that - you are going to Abu Graib! Roasting a meatball sub is a crime against humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!

Really I do not talk to myself at all. I just thought if one was actually going to do this on the internet, for whatever reason, it would waste less of their time to do it in this way. Perhaps you have plenty of time on your hands so no problem. I myself pay for internet by the minute also so it is a financial issue to me also. Conversation is easy to find anywhere. Intelligent conversation not so much. Here in this particular discussion is a perfect example of this.

Back