• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

inanity.

Really I do not talk to myself at all. I just thought if one was actually going to do this on the internet, for whatever reason, it would waste less of their time to do it in this way. Perhaps you have plenty of time on your hands so no problem. I myself pay for internet by the minute also so it is a financial issue to me also. Conversation is easy to find anywhere. Intelligent conversation not so much. Here in this particular discussion is a perfect example of this.

I didn't think people like you existed anymore.

Well done eclair for creating a rare moment of interest on this site. But I bet you can't keep it up.

My fav. butty (ie sandwich in posh) is thick cured ham in French bread.

I've just read Yann Martel's 'Beatrice and Virgil' and despite it's often appalling reviews see -
Why Yann Martel’s Beatrice and Virgil is the Worst Book of the Decade

I loved it. Quirky, original and unforgettable.

As for James Joyce! I think pretentious, drunken bullsh*t in the main.

I'd dress like Oscar Wilde.

It sounds like an author for active and lively discussion has inadvertently turned up. Joyce has always excited adverse opinion -- an easy target.

I've just read Yann Martel's 'Beatrice and Virgil' and despite it's often appalling reviews see -
Why Yann Martel’s Beatrice and Virgil is the Worst Book of the Decade
:rofl: Ouch! Champion does quite a number on the author. Love this quote...
And so on. You would get more human insight from a drunken man transcribing a nursery school conversation.

Love the Oscar Wilde outfit!

jmthompson
...don't be ashamed of talking to yourself, all the best people do.

eclair.. I've read Portrait, at least mostly, as much as I could stand, skimmed the rest. Maybe an attempted reread is in the cards.

Peder..."lively discussion"? :eek: :cool:

Anybody, AND I MEAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that roasts a meatball sub will be sent to Guantanomo. No, **** that - you are going to Abu Graib! Roasting a meatball sub is a crime against humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!

Hmmmm, I don't remember writing this and the time stamp indicated I would have written it after a night of heavy drinking. Perhaps this is the perfect thread for such a post though.

Peder, yes the Christmas scene is very well realized and funny. I am discovering Joyce is very particular, he does not let you use your own imagination to fill in gaps. His detail is very thorough, at all moments you know exactly where the scene is to the extent you can point it out on a map. His vocabulary is immense, and very specific so again you can't use your own stock images you have to make the effort to see things how he wants you to see them. Jimthompson, you're a practical soul! Feel free to steer the conversation towards intelligence. Jaybe, pig is goood, Yann Martel not so much :p Why do you think Joyce is pretentious? Pontalba, you can't throw a martini, James Bond would disapprove! Hugh, I have a sub, it's about to be roasted, what ya going to do, punk?? Sparkchaser, nooo I loved him first, me love him long time.

Peder, yes the Christmas scene is very well realized and funny. I am discovering Joyce is very particular, he does not let you use your own imagination to fill in gaps. His detail is very thorough, at all moments you know exactly where the scene is to the extent you can point it out on a map. His vocabulary is immense, and very specific so again you can't use your own stock images you have to make the effort to see things how he wants you to see them.

Nice observation about his style, eclair. Never thought of it that way, and haven't seen it described that way either. :flowers:

Hmmmm, I don't remember writing this and the time stamp indicated I would have written it after a night of heavy drinking. Perhaps this is the perfect thread for such a post though.

0406_f28b.gif

I am probably not the best people because I really do not talk to myself. i pay for internet because i am overseas and use laptop computer connected to cell phone.

What I mean is that I have computer internet connected with cell phone. It costs about 6 dollars in US money for 3000 minutes every month. I have not been to USA for long time so I do not know if they do things the same way there.

So for $42 you'd get unlimited internet. Anyhoo, we all pay for internet. Unless we're leeching off of someone else's connection.

Back