• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Fate

Tonight, I lost my faith in Indiana Jones.

It broke my heart. It really did. But I couldn't blame Indy. I can't blame the character; it wasn't his fault. He didn't choose this adventure, and he certainly didn't write the tale. So it's not him.

I'm not sure who to blame.

Whilst watching Crystal Skull I felt like a little girl who was watching her childhood hero thrown into situations and saying phrases that weren't characteristic of him. I felt like that character had gotten lost over the last 19 years.

I felt betrayed - hurt. I felt like a heel for not liking the movie, and I felt like a fool for wishing it had been what it was not, but...

I'm of the frame of mind where Indiana Jones and aliens do not mix. This movie felt like such a mixture of Spielberg and Lucas movies to me that I really forgot what I was watching for a long time. War of the Worlds? Star Wars? (Who's idea was it to put the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line in there? - I loved it, but geez. lol) American Graffiti? A.I.? THX-1138?

Yes, I understand it followed the sci-fi movies of the 1950s, basically playing into the era and feeding us all a little piece of entertainment history. But it...was annoying.

To me, Indiana never met the flying saucers and little green men from Mars.

Forever - to me - he rode off into the sunset with Henry Jones Sr., Marcus Brody and Sallah.

Ride, boldly ride. And not to the land they call El Dorado.

This is why I refuse to watch it. In my mind, there are only two Indiana Jones movies.

Nah, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade. At least those movies were consistent with each other. I did like Temple of Doom.

Yup. Not that the movie was all that good up until the ending either (surviving a nuclear blast inside a fridge? Really?) but the last 20 minutes are nothing but one "You have GOT to be fucking kidding me" after another.

Kudos to Shia LeBoeuf though for admitting that the movie stunk.

Heh. I liked Temple of Doom *because* it's so different from the other two. When I saw Last Crusade I was annoyed by all the similarities between that film and ROLA. Then again, I haven't seen the original three in years.

One thing that bothered me about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: the CGI gopher in the beginning. What a waste of resources.

Poor Fate. You're not alone. There is an awesome episode of South Park dedicated to this very topic. Here for more info.

I am yet to recover from my Indiana Jones disappointment. :sad:

sparkchaser - Last Crusade followed by Raiders of the Lost Ark are my favourite Indy movies. I didn't care much for Temple of Doom (which technically is the prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark), but the Crystal Skull...*sob*...

Anamnesis - the opening? Ugh! What a CGI waste. Prairie dogs. Seriously. Why? And the opening drag race between the car of teens and the army vehicle - American Graffiti, anyone? I wondered for a moment if I was in an Indiana Jones movie or not. And when the Elvis song started playing, well, I was more than lost. Yes, I realized I was now being thrown into 1957. Times had changed. WWII was over. The Cold War was at hand. A new era. A new time. But I was lost as to where I was supposed to be and what sort of movie I was supposed to be watching.

beer good - I had those "You have GOT to be fucking kidding me" moments all the way through the film.

Will - Thanks for the link. I didn't know that South Park and put their wonderful 'spin' on this subject...I want to see the episode!

Back