• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inglourious Basterds

Anamnesis

A very fun movie. Not as brutal as some of Tarantino's offerings, though the conclusion and
wound-poking scene
had me on the edge of my seat. Eli Roth's character, surprisingly, was one of my favorites. Personally he's a much better actor than he is a director. The scene scored to David Bowie's Cat People (Putting Out the Fire) was oddly amusing. Really, it wouldn't be a Quentin Tarantino movie without some unexpected musical cues :D.

As much as I liked it, I have to say the film wasn't quite what I expected it to be. Did anyone else think Brad Pitt was going to be the main character? He had more of a supporting role. At least the actual main characters managed to hold my attention.

Right, so. Possibly overanalysing review.

Quentin Tarantino made it big early on. The problem, for any film-maker who's as recognized and recognizable as Tarantino, is how to handle the audience's expectations – how to not be stuck making the same kind of movie over and over again. As brilliant as Pulp Fiction was when it came, it's impossible to keep doing the same thing. Kill Bill had the subtitle "THE FOURTH FILM BY QUENTIN TARANTINO" and delivered superficial Tarantinoisms – the violence, the fractured timelines, the comic-book imagery, the clever dialogue – in spades until we almost forgot that underneath it all, there really wasn't a whole lot more than cleverness to it. The problem of 1990s ironic postmodernism: ultimately, it had nothing to offer but references to itself – that's how we got Scary Movie IV. Death Proof, on the other hand, started out by being almost a Tarantino parody – only to kill itself and the audience's expectations of what was happening, and start over with a brand new focus.

Inglourious Basterds, in a lot of ways,has more in common with those last 40 minutes of Death Proof than it does with any of his previous movies. Both in the way it ends with an explosion of rather gratuitous violence that the audience is explicitly told makes our heroes as violent as the bad guys, but we still can't help applauding; and in the way it seems like a post-Tarantino Tarantino movie – one which leaves out most of the superficial trickery, performs rather than shows off, and cuts to the basics.

Because yes, it's tremendously entertaining, if maybe a bit long and with one or two too many faceless side characters. It's violent, it's got great dialogue that's never as self-consciously witty as some of Tarantino's earlier stuff but still zings, it digs out obscure actors and gives them the sort of roles that you know they loved playing. Christoph Walz as Landa, especially, is a revelation; at the same time a thoroughly despicable character and one of those villains you can't help but love for their sheer bad-assery, always a step ahead of our heroes, and so gleefully selfishly lovably evil that I almost cheer for him. And seeing Daniel Brühl ("Goodbye Lenin") as a "nice guy" Nazi is actually creepy – he's one of the characters that's played almost completely straight, as opposed to Pitt's and Walz's larger-than-life ones. In fact, the lone huge Hollywood name – Pitt – is almost a side character, more Chekhov's gun than the gunman himself. The nazis are portrayed as insane, and the higher up the crazier, but our "heroes" aren't really very nice either as they kill, butcher, slaughter, torture their way through Nazi-occupied France to a big showdown with Hitler himself – damnit, it's practically Wolfenstein 3D: The Movie.

But at the centre of it all, as always in Tarantino's movies, is the image. Both in the sense of pure "wow, that looks cool" cinematography, and in the sense that it's all about selling an image of yourself.

We will be cruel to the Germans and through our cruelty they will know who we are. They will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered, disfigured bodies their brothers we leave behind us and the Germans will not be able to help themselves from imagining the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, at our boot heels, and the edge of our knives. And the Germans will be sickened by us, the Germans will talk about us and the Germans will fear us.

Inglourious Basterds, fittingly for a movie featuring Joseph Goebbels, is about the power of a good story to change the world around it. In Tarantino's world, WWII is far enough in the past to get the "Once upon a time..." treatment; this isn't the real WWII, it's a mythical version of it in which the ending can be re-written just like Disney re-wrote Grimm's (German) fairy tales; and he loves playing with the idea of himself as both propagandist and subverter of propaganda (carve a swastika on the surviving nazis so they won't get to spin their own story when they get home; re-cut their own propaganda movies to beat them at their own game; Tarantino, as always, is all about hiphop-style battles and one-upmanship). At one point, we see a bunch of nazis watching what's very obviously a Tarantinoized take on a Nazi propaganda film, complete with dozens of American soldiers getting gunned down in spectacular fashion by a lone Nazi hero. I, and others in the audience, can't help but laugh at the obvious self-reference... and just then, he cuts to Hitler, who's watching the same movie and is also laughing his ass off along with us.

Ahem.

But damnit, the man knows what he's doing, he's using it better with every movie, and it works. Inglourious Basterds is simply one hell of a romp, mixing and subverting genre clichés all over the place in a way that's pure joy to watch, while still sticking to the plot, making his usual tricks work for the story rather than just be there for their own sake, and never drifting into self-conscious cinematic masturbation. He has the characters speak four (five if you count Pitt's dialect) different languages in what looks like a bid for authenticity that's bound to scare off a few viewers (subtitles, eww!), and even turns it into a plot point in several key scenes, yet happily undermines it by having both plot and characterisation be just enough over the top that nobody in their right mind would ever think something like this happened. This is a fairy tale, after all.

(Of course, and I don't think I'm nearly the film geek I would need to be to appreciate it fully, Tarantino is still a magpie. In previous films he's ripped off kung fu, blaxploitation, samurai, gangster and... well, every genre under the sun; he's now added both US and European war movies (and spaghetti Westerns) to the mix. I'll be damned if the big finale (not the final scene, but the big final shootout) here doesn't owe a debt of gratitude to Elem Klimov's masterpiece Go And See, for instance.)

So the question above remains: why? Does Quentin Tarantino have anything of his own to say? Well, yes. It still says "How fucking cool is it that people pay me to do this?" in huge letters everywhere, but he does it so well, and the further he gets from Pulp Fiction, the more of a chance he'll have of doing something truly powerful.

Quentin-san, may your walls fall, and may you live to tell. :star4:

The one thing i realized about the movie that surprisingly was not in ur review beer... was that tarintino blatantly makes fun of or mocks even his audience. audience 1 is in the movie watching one man kill hundreds of opposing soldiers... every time a soldier is killed the crowd holler and woots and cheers!! immediately following this scene audience 1 starts to get killed off... audience 2 (we the viewers) start hollering and wooting and cheering! hooray! the bad guys are being killed! the same perception those Germans had.. i believe he is mocking the american public by saying "we all think that we are in the right when we do something that is wrong in someone elses eyes" im not saying that there were germans during world war 2 that did not need to be killed and with the quickness... but at the same time, the germans were killing the "terrorists" and cheered... we kill our terrorists and cheer and the iraqis kill their terrorists and cheer... it's all about perception.

one thing i was glad about was that i automatically caught on to the "three fingers" to say "three" thing immediately (even though they do that in britain as well and that guy was from britain and the three with closed thumb and pinky is pretty much just an american deal.. small plot hole but whatev) anyway, i caught on to that before she explained it... actually knew before anyone in the movie freaked out... i was all "uh oh" haha

anyway, i hated the movie with an intense lividity.. i thought it was drawn out drawn out boring boring MURDER MURDER MURDER drawn out drawn out boring boring MURDER MURDER MURDER... as u said, he is repeating his past movies but i CANNOT for the life of me find a valid reason or motivation for this except to make the audience cringe... just for the reaction.. and i know tarintino can do more than just get a reaction from a brutally grotesque sequence of events... dont get me wrong, i hate tarintino as well.. i have a constant battle with sleep every time a movie of his is on... but he does deserve some credit in having at least a point which i did not see in this movie.. yeah world war 2 and some slight mention of vengeance and conspiring plots.. kinda.. but my interest only lied in trying to follow the german spoken in the movie without reading subtitles.. it was the only way i didnt interrupt the theater with my snoring..

0 out of 5 stars from me... and i cant understand how anyone could legitimately like this movie... the only reason anyone has ever had for liking this movie has been "its tarintino for christs sake!" which only means the contrary for me. i went in with high hopes and was quickly reminded as to why i have always claimed that tarintino is only his name. his work on alias was fine and four rooms is one of my favorite movies.. but that last room DRAGS on... even the camera work and screen shots and all that in inglorious was horrid... no point.

sorry if i made anyone mad.. but u hafta admit i gotta point. lol

1. Germans weren't killing terrorists, they were invading France, so the French people were defending their country.
2. Woo to the hoo for your finding out about the finger thing before it was explained by the lady.
3. Why would you go to a Tarantino film when you don't like his work? A chance for you to affirm your prejudice?
4. Maybe you should try to grasp the idea that not all people think as black and white as you do in either hating or loving Tarantino films and that there are more reasons to like this particular one than just because of its director.
5. I don't think you do.

6. Use capital letters, please! Makes reading your drivel a lot easier.

wow. im sorry. i thought i was entitled to my own opinion and my own style of typing. its a pain in the ass to use capitals because i have carpal tunnel and i dont care much to appeal to your visual senses. i actually went in to the movie hoping to like it and was yet again disappointed. i give him credit for the reasons people like him and i even said that! u must just be upset because you are one of those people who said "well its tarintino for chirssake!" ... if there was a bloody point to the movie that would be one thing. as for the terrorists thing i was using a generality to make a point. the germans saw them as terrorists... THAT was my point. and im sorry for feeling bloody proud of myself about something, dear lord, next time i start to feel proud about something i will remember your little remark and remember how much better you are than me. as for seeing black and white, if u had ANY bloody idea of who i was before criticizing me and putting my opinions down, you wouldnt have made that incredibly ignorant and childish remark. oh yeah, and as for let me see..... number 5? yeah, dont give a bloody rats ass. if you are gonna throw a fit about me stating my opinion than dont get pissy when i get mad at you for giving urs about me.. ESPECIALLY (like the capital letters?) when u have no idea who i am... so shut it.

I have not seen the movie yet and i don't know who this brolie guy is but sure he make me feel like i'm going to love Inglorious bastard.

when u have no idea who i am... so shut it.

We have no idea who your are but i'm not in a rush to discover more.
Really.

brolie my dear, I was just responding to your opinion, I'm not saying you should agree with me. Everybody agreeing with each other would be rather boring.

And I don't really care who you are, I'm just responding to your opinion.

i don't know who this brolie guy is but sure he make me feel like i'm going to love Inglorious bastard.

as little as u would like to know about me, i would just like to clarify that i am a 23 year old mother of two ... i didnt like the movie and i explained why. i must admit regardless of intentions the two of you have really opened my eyes to the fact that my opinion, whether ill or kind, will still be received in a way that ur responses have made me really not want to be on these boards anymore. so i appreciate our conversations and bid farewell

Telling someone to shut it,and expecting praise for it is not what this place made of.
If you can't control your temper you should be ready for a bit a waves.

michael bay > quentin tarantino

deal

with

it

bitches!!

P.S. I think brolie has a legitimate point about mocking the audience. I dunno if it was the director's intent or not but it's definitely hypocritical/ironic to be cheering for the basterds as they brutalize the nazis (and the helpless actress).

P.P.S I like Kill Bill and Death Proof and to a lesser extent Inglourious Basterds.

brolie, don't worry, brother: i agree with you a hundred percent.

this is by far the worst war movie i've ever seen. you'd do better to watch Enemy at the Gates, Brotherhood of War, or even The Pianoist, for that matter, than this crap.

brolie, don't worry, brother: i agree with you a hundred percent.

this is by far the worst war movie i've ever seen. you'd do better to watch Enemy at the Gates, Brotherhood of War, or even The Pianoist, for that matter, than this crap.

I can't help but wonder if you and brolie realize that the movie was supposed to be a tribute/satire on the WWII "macaroni combat" movies of the 60's and 70's as well as the venerable spaghetti western and also be a dark comedy.

Enemy at the Gates was meh and could have benefited with the exclusion of the love triangle subplot.

Just for the record I was joking about michael bay being better than tarantino. I was only trying to get me a piece of the exciting action going on in this thread

Back