• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is it healthy to excessively think about your dreams or take pleasure in them?

lol I think it's only malpractice if you pretend you are medically trained to perform such duties ... either that or hypnotize them & then steal all their money/clothes.

Sar said:
lol I think it's only malpractice if you pretend you are medically trained to perform such duties ... either that or hypnotize them & then steal all their money/clothes.

hmmm, sar remind me to not look to deeply into your eyes.......

I remember a bit of an "old wives tale" type thing about if you see yourself die in a dream you will actually die....as in you might suffer some kind of heart attack or something....

Has anyone ever seen themselves die in a dream? I don't mean like being shocked awake right at the point of being killed,...I mean have you actually dreamed about, and visualized your own dream-death?

I have had falling dreams, but never "hit bottom". I would always wake up in the stress of the fall....

I used to be a grat believer in that old wives tale, right up until the first dream I had in which I died. I've had a couple now, plus they always seem to be surprisingly peaceful, even got to see my funera (vey weird). I could see how for someone who is already very weakened physically it might be a bit too much of a shock for the body to handle. Problem with this theory is, you can never ask those who died if it was due to a dream ;)

The other theory about such dreams is that rather then being a bad omen they could just symbolise new beginnings

"you can never ask those who died if it was due to a dream"

While that is true, you are the first person I've ever heard from that has seen thier own death in a dream....very bizarre...I'm fascinated

If I recall my dreams, then they were usually very vivid, sensual, and full of imagery.

And I get preoccupied with them too lovermuffin, but I wouldn't let it worry you or anything. If you're like me, they probably reflect a theme you already have on your mind.

When I've been experiencing a lot of personal betrayals, I've always had violation dreams, that I was being robbed in a room of my house like my Living room (public persona).

When I was in an abusive relationship, I dreamt constantly of riding in a car with my then S/O and having him ignore road warnings and yeild signs and my own concerns over them to speed ahead too fast. I did die in one of these dreams Motokid, and it was three years ago now, so the only confirmation I can find of the old wives tale is that I once dreamt I would die, and one day, I will die lol.

When I got out of that relationship, I had a lot of dreams of my healing animals, or doing projects that had me patching up things.

And when I'm dissatisfied, I dream of being ravenous, and eating things that represent whatever it is I want but don't have. I've tasted things in these dreams too BTW, to answer that question. I particularly remember having tasted the dirt that was still on some vegetables I picked from a garden in one, and for some reason, I'm forever eating fresh squashes in my "Eating" dreams (no real significance TMK, but their colours have meaning).

Point being, analyze what the issue of your dreams is, and I doubt you'll find that you're really dwelling all that excessively on them, compared to how you were already dwelling on the subconscious issues from whence they sprang.

i saw myself dying about 4 or 5 times, don't ask me.. one time i was shot, saw the blood running down my shirt, second time i was hit by a car, flew over the car and did a nice twist, when i came to the ground i broke my neck, next time i had a asthma attack, and the fourth time i was buried alife (have to admit it was a feverdream)...

i think it was when i was badly depressed and thought about suicide..

I'm also a very vivid dreamer, and if I write my dreams down right away, I will remember them for years. Otherwise they do slip away. They are usually epic things involving a journey or trying to get to a certain place, with a bit of a weird reality. For example last week I dreamt that I was with some friends and we were trying to get to the football stadium, and it involved the most bizarre obsticle course, and when we got to the overpass there was a ladder that I couldn't climb to the top of because I was so scared - feeling fear and wobbly legs in my dreams about heights is not unusual. Another time I dreamt there was a bridge right across my city, and that you climbed a hill to get there, and slid down a car bonnet (hood) to get there. Perhaps it's the engineer in me...

I also frequently dream of being late for things and I am very stressed. Not sure what this means - anyone?

Finally, I am able to 'go back' into my dreams and alter their course after I wake up. I might wake up and think 'that was horrible!' so I go back into the dream and make the ending nicer.

Kookamoor said:
I also frequently dream of being late for things and I am very stressed. Not sure what this means - anyone?

Finally, I am able to 'go back' into my dreams and alter their course after I wake up. I might wake up and think 'that was horrible!' so I go back into the dream and make the ending nicer.

the late thing i don't know, i often dream i can't walk fast enough or get somewhere fast enough. perhaps both are simply stress.

the go back thing is nice. i've never tried that. i have woken up mid "good" dream and thought, wait, my god, not yet. :D but can never seem to get back to that spot.

i often dream my mouth is full of gum and i can't get it out. i am pulling great wads of gum out and it is still in therem stuck to everything. gagging me. pretty simple analysis there. i should shut the f**k up sometimes.

Kookamoor said:

yeah, i can do that too, that is soo cool... but sometimes when i change the ending i don't know anymore if it was a dream or the reality...

Motokid said:
I remember a bit of an "old wives tale" type thing about if you see yourself die in a dream you will actually die....as in you might suffer some kind of heart attack or something....

Has anyone ever seen themselves die in a dream? I don't mean like being shocked awake right at the point of being killed,...I mean have you actually dreamed about, and visualized your own dream-death?

I have had falling dreams, but never "hit bottom". I would always wake up in the stress of the fall....

I have a reoccuring dream where I drown. I have died over and over again. Which is funny..since I have nearly drowned twice, which is the closest I have ever come to dying.

not very vivid or colorful at all here in regards to dreams. It's hard to think about a paritcular one that stood out in all honesty. Interesting dreams and interpretation thus far.

ricky said:
i have a recurring dream, that i only have when my life is about to change drastically. it's the same dream, its very disturbing to me. the first time i had it, i was about to quit my job and uproot myself to go to europe. i told my friend about my dream and how it bothered me, and she said when you have very shocking dreams, like mine, it represents change. so now when i have the dream, it bothers me less because i now understand the meaning behind it.

Care to share that dream?

I would doubt it. ricky hasn't been here for nigh on a year. She probably got lost in a book - her first!

jenn said:
i dream i am losing my teeth all the time. i am spitting them out and chewing on them trying to talk. it's gross.

I never had dreams about my teeth, but every time I was pregnant I had dreams that my newborn babies were born with enormous adult teeth! LOL! I have heard that teeth dreams have something to do with fluctuations in hormones, so maybe check and see if you are ovulating or going through your cycle or something when you have it. Obviously, being pregnant, I was loaded with hormones.

I don't remember tasting anything in my dreams but I do smell things when I 'm dreaming, like I often dream of my Great Grandmother's house and it smells just like her house.
I have that, too. I was sooooooooooo attached to my great-grandmother. I can smell her house and even smell her and remember what her skin felt like. I dream about her a lot and can always relive those wonderful senses in my dreams and my memories. Wonderful. I feel like that is a gift from God. It is so comforting. I wish I could taste in my dreams. She made the best banana pudding and homemade (from her own tree) apricot turnovers. Yum!

Originally Posted by Kookamoor

I am able to do that, too. Like someone else mentioned above, as a child I frequently had bad dreams (I still actually get night terrors and wake up thrashing, screaming and crying sometimes - or sometimes don't wake up as it is just relayed to me by my poor husband). I had to go to counseling as a child due to a recurring dream that I had that ended up giving me horrible insomnia - little to no sleep over two weeks for fear of sleeping and going into that dream. At that point, I learned to relax and kind of rewire my dreams. I can also make my mind think of something before going to bed and kind of connect it into a dream. Also, I often dream about whatever I read right before falling asleep, which can be tremendous fun, although I hated this during college, as I always dreamed about whatever I was studying or taking the test or worse forgetting to show up for class.

There are two stressful recurring dreams I still have to this day and one funny one. One dream I have is that I am dreaming down a highway and all of the sudden the road starts to go upward and becomes completely vertical (worse than a rollercoaster) and I keep thinking "Oh my God! What am I going to do? The car is going to fall backwards! How are all these people getting over this hill? I'll never make it!" And I wake up in a panic. I also sometimes dream that I have gone back to college and it is the end of the semester and I have forgotten to go to one or all of my classes and I freak out about my grade point average and again I wake up in a panic and sometimes have to ground myself into reality - I'm not in college anymore! And my funny one is where I dream I am driving or walking around somewhere and realize I have little or nothing on and freak out in my dream, but wake up and remember and find it so funny. Can you imagine just turning up somewhere and not realizing you had forgotten your pants? LOL!

Overall, all my dreams are colorful and very life-like. And sometimes I do dwell on them and wish to redream them or live it and sometimes I just want to forget it and can't shake it - just the feeling stays with me, you know?

Back