• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is there anyone who doesn't care about the Dark Tower Series?

When I was about eight I read Dahl. Of course, that was the kiddie stuff. I have no inclination to read his adult works.

Stewart said:
The thing is, the people I mentioened - while they may be mainstream they have a considerable body of work. The people in the list of yours (the proper horror authors, not the paddlers), with the exception of Little, don't.

They don't have a great body of work, because there was none back then, lmfao. They were the pioneers of horror. If they did not exist, your list would not also.

I remember reading one adult-ish bit of Dahl. It may have been an extract from a longer piece. It was about a landlady. I can't remember much else.

The thing that confuses me is the following statement:

They don't have a great body of work, because there was none back then, lmfao. They were the pioneers of horror.

Now, given that someone is a pioneer, doesn't mean they can't produce a body of work. And, in fact, writers such as Henry James (as mentioned by whackjob) do have a substantial body of work. He just had better things to do than horror or, more accurately, the supernatural.

eyez0nme said:
Unfortunately, for your shltty list and mine, Roald Dahl kicks all their asses--including Bloch and King.

W3|| y0ur p0575 4|0n3 4r3 3n0u6h 70 m4k3 m3 574y 4w4y fr0m 7h3 4u7h0r5 y0u m3n710n. Wh1|3 m057 p30p|3 h3r3 r35p3c7 573w4r7'5 0p1n10n 1 d0ub7 4ny0n3 w1|| |1573n 70 y0u.

1 7h0u6h7 1'd wr173 7h15 1n 4 |4n6u463 y0u c4n und3r574nd.

Though I don't understand how anyone could find "The Drawing of the Three" weak

You must be shocked. With that said, I think Drawing of the Three was one of my least favorites because so much of it was set on Earth instead of Roland's world. Plus Detta's rants started to bug me after a while. Strangely enough, I thought Song of Susannah (also set on Earth for the most part) was great.

jaycee said:
I have been meaning to read that series sometime. But I'm in no hurry!

That's pretty much how I feel. I'm not big into fantasy but if King wrote it, that probably makes me more willing to try them.

Oh my, what happened to this thread. . .

Getting back on subtopic within the topic, I'll agree King writes blockbusters, not exactly meaty literature, but out of all the pop authors on the bestsellers list surely some of his stuff comes the closest to it. I'm not sure what an official definition of a work of literature would sound like, but my personal one is that if you remember the book and the characters a year later, then it's probably something more than just a "good book." Take a character like Jack Torrance from The Shining, you just can't forget a character like that. Same goes for the characters of It, The Stand, and The Dark Tower and plenty others. Rememberable characters or plots that stick in your mind forever like that have to be at least fairly high on the literary scale.

Of course not all of King's stuff are as vivid (Cell, Colorado Kid, Dreamcatcher) but I'm sure even if Harper Lee wrote 50+ books they wouldn't all be Pulitzer winners.

I have never been interested in reading this series. King, for me, is off and on. There are times when I desperatly want to read a King novel and times when I don't give a crud about him or his books.

Back