• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I've had it

Sitaram said:
One bit of wisdom that changed my life: "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose (unless you are on Brokeback Mountain)."

That's good I really like that.

Libre,
Glad you decided to stay, sorry you had to get so frustrated. I do tend to read a lot of threads and enjoy them but not always respond to them. It has been brought up that a few members fall into that catgory and that usually those members for better or worse also post more in general chat. I don't think it's a snub, in my case I might be reading a thread that has a lot of information and good lengthy reviews and really have nothing I can add, so I don't, it's more a respectful trying not to spam up the threads than a snub. I have been trying to add more but it just doesn't come natural to me, I guess and I usually just end up with a rather lame "me too". So I do think many probably read and enjoy your posts, like me :)

I agree with Ronny. Sometimes I don't know what to say to add to a discussion. And for some threads, I'm afraid I'll say too much;)

I think I've developed an extra thick skin from having read posts from a few of my children's online game forums. On those I'd be glad to be ignored. Yeah, it's disappointing when a fabulously witty or well constructed critique drops into the void but at least YOU know how smart you are! Plus, I have so little time here, I often have to leave a great thread unremarked....good luck to you! I'm late for work!:)

Libre, you can't leave yet, because you haven't let me know what you thought about Ketchum's The Girl Next Door.

Lenny-
The Girl Next Door was just as you said - if I recall your exact words without checking the thread - "unremittingly grim and brutal". Both that book and Off Season are at the extreme end of what can even be published in our time. So un-formula - even though the publishers attempted to mold both books into something conventional - they could not succeed because the source material was so - so- extreme. They should have just left both books as they were because anybody that wants to read that kind of material can take it.
Thanks for your mention - I had never heard of Ketchum before I read your review.

Well, I'm not leaving. So, I threw a hissy fit - nobody is to blame for it (other than me) - I'm not normally so - I don't know -childish. Everyone's sentiments are pretty heartwarming.
Thanks to all.

Have you been looking longingly at sports cars/convertibles and visualizing lovely young things eager to ride in them with you?

Maybe it's the season change? People, myself included, have seemed a little irritable from time to time lately. I think we're all coming out of our winter lull, this is our groggy waking up phase and soon we'll be happily into spring:)

Spring has certainly hit here in Dorothy's country..I think we're under our first tornado watch of the year..Looks yucky out there! Anyway, we've all experienced times when we feel neglected, overlooked, and chocolate-deprived..this was libre's time. Now he knows we all love him and he's feeling much better, I hope;) ;)

Sorry, just speaking my mind

Miss Shelf said:
Libre, is it possible you have PMS? ;) :D

You know, I was reading and thinking the same thing (She must be suffering from PMS) until I reached Libre's later post and realized that HE'S A 54 year OLD MAN!!

Good GOD, Man....Not to be a snot, but it's only a forum, not real life. People are going to like you and there are going to be people that don't give a rat's ass who or what you are.

I don't post much, I come here to read reviews and such. Once in a while I will post if I find something amusing enough (Such as some of motokid's posts out there)
I think you need to just get over it. I had started a thread back a few months ago that I got NOT one reply! So what?!?! Big freaking Deal! I didn't boo hoo it up. It's A FORUM.

Just my 2 cents....nothing more
(No, I'm not PMSing either, I just feel like I'm trying to break up a fight/argument between my kids) HAHA

Look, not one reply My thread

Isabell said:
I had started a thread back a few months ago that I got NOT one reply! So what?!?! Big freaking Deal! I didn't boo hoo it up. It's A FORUM.
Must have been one heck of an interesting topic. :D Perhaps as interesting as the one I started on "Here's To Your Health". :)

Good morning Libre!

I hope you don't mind if I chime in with my own personal theory? I wonder if many of us don't have a tendency to associate folks with their avatars. After I had been here for a while (my very first avatar -- found with the gracious help of Ell -- probably represented me best), I found what I considered to be a pretty spiffy avatar that featured a raised eyebrow and a brown eye. I kinda liked it (having a brown eye and an eyebrow of my own), but after a while I noticed that some people seemed to be taking my posts as being sarcastic when they were, in fact, meant to be (at the very least) mildly amusing.

In my mind, you have remained (until now) one of the old guard who might be presumed to be watching over some of us frolicsome (relative) newbies with your own baleful eye. I have read your posts with respect, but also with a certain amount of trepidation. (Just between you and me, if novella and Shade and Sitaram didn't have such friendly-looking avatars, I would be entirely terrified of all of them.)
Now that I feel like I know you better, Libre, I will happily misinterpret your words and smiley-face and spam up your posts the way I do with, say, Peder-of-the-friendly-countenance. :D

By the way, although this thread took tremendous courage on your part, it seems to have had a happy outcome: We've all had the opportunity to have a good old (what's the gender-correct word for henfest?)

And, if you ever want to see a couple of lead balloons at perpetual rest, just take a peek at the thread about The Time Blob. Or even Whatever Happened to Left Behind.

Peder said:
Peder-of-the-friendly-countenance-and-the-all-hearing-ear, if you don't mind!
j/k j/k
:)
Peder

Peder-the-omniscient-but-not-the-obviously-ominous.

We're spamming up your thread, Libre, and with invisible ink, none the less! :eek:

Still-I-Learn
See how fast I respond to a well-meaning suggestion? (note new avitar). That's the real me. PMS indeed.
The stone head (previous avitar) is on a statue I took a picture of on somone's front porch (kind of) on 80th Street (approximately) on my way to play classical guitar (more or less) at the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (current avitar).

Isabell - you're absoutely right. I've been through a lot of hard knocks in my 54 (soon to be 55) years. Having a post on a forum ignored is rather slight compared to all I've been through. If I havn't been clear enough about this, I sheepishly apologize to all.

Peder - steadfast Peder. When I first started posting here, and got little response, I had my first hissy fit, and you were there to calm me down and offer your thoughts. I thanked you then, and I thank you now.

Libre,
That is really a nice avatar!
And thanks for your very nice comments too.
Glad you are hanging in here, :)
Peder

Back