• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jack Ketchum: The Girl Next Door

lenny nero

Unrelentingly grim and brutal, this is a fictionalized account of the notorious Sylvia Likens murder case that happened in Indiana back in the '50's. Ketchum has written pretty gruesome stuff before, most notably Off Season, but nothing this harrowing and unforgettable. The only monsters in this one are human and that makes it even more terrifying.

Finally available again in paperback(for the first time in about 20 years) from Leisure(who are putting out some great horror these days). The Overlook Connection Press hardback came with an intro by Stephen King which unfortunately wasn't included in the new Leisure paperback. I can't recommend this title highly enough.

Lenny, you should make a horror review thread! But you have to title it with something clever and witty... :p ::hugs::

Well - based on your review, I just hightailed it to the Amazon (dot com, that is) and orderd both The Girl Next Door, and Off Season.
I'll report back after I've read them. I just started Laymon's Body Rides. What an imagination. I wish I had a longer commute so I could read more.

I think those are his best two. I was hoping that Leisure would also release a paperback of Off Season. The Girl Next Door also has a small afterword from the author and 2 short stories included. Leisure has also released, by Ketchum(real name Dallas Mayr), Lost, Red, and She Wakes, all of which are good but not as good as the above 2.

Well, I'm halfway through Off Season, and although for awhile I was wondering what the big deal is - it seemed kind of Dean Koonzy at first - now I am at the point that I'm truly horrified. I have to keep reminding myself this is a book.

Glad to hear that your enjoying, or enduring, it. Wait till you get to The Girl Next Door! He also wrote an inferior sequel to Off Season, called Offspring.

If The Girl Next Door is even more horrifying - and I've been led to believe that it is - I'm going to need a little break with some happier stories, like Day of the Triffids and its seq, Night of the Triffids. They're just about the end of the world. Both are on my TBR pile. The Girl Next Door is 3rd on my TBR list.
BTW, I'm almost done with Off Season - just the Epilogue left, which I'll finish on my bus ride home tonight. Thanks for recommending this (I guess). It is remarkably horrifying, no doubt about it. And I've read the mot brutal stuff Koonz, Rice, Harris, and King have to offer. Mild by comparison.

Finished it today, and liked it. The first half of the book is slow-moving, but the second half was intense. To use that infamous cliche, "I just couldn't put it down". I didn't think I would be shocked by what I read, and while I'm sure I won't have any sleeping problems I was horrified by what Meg endured at the hands of Ruth and Co. I agree that Ketchum isn't a revolutionary writer, but he seems to be competent at what he does.

I ordered his novel Red from Amazon.com, so I'm hoping this one is either just as good or better.

Finished it today, and liked it. The first half of the book is slow-moving, but the second half was intense. To use that infamous cliche, "I just couldn't put it down". I didn't think I would be shocked by what I read, and while I'm sure I won't have any sleeping problems I was horrified by what Meg endured at the hands of Ruth and Co. I agree that Ketchum isn't a revolutionary writer, but he seems to be competent at what he does.

I ordered his novel Red from Amazon.com, so I'm hoping this one is either just as good or better.

Just got this on a recommendation from a friend. I will start it tonight. I was told it takes a while to start but when it does you almost want it to stop. I read The Lost and it was ok. Hoping for more with this one.

Stephen King saw an early screening a couple of weeks ago and had this to say:
"The first authentically shocking American film I've seen since Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer over 20 years ago. If you are easily disturbed, you should not watch this movie. If, on the other hand, you are prepared for a long look into hell, suburban style, The Girl Next Door will not disappoint. This is the dark-side-of-the-moon version of Stand By Me."

Trailer for the film: http://www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com/trailer.asp

I've been meaning to purchase a copy of this book for a while, but have been unable to locate it shops or Ebay. I will have to broaden my searches...

Ladies Night!!!Women suffer adverse reaction to chemical spill in New York City. Men/boys beware! Ketchum is definately a grab you by the throat author.
As far as TGND, the book was good enough for me. Think I'll pass on the movie. Read the story in Crime Library also. My own mental images will suffice. I don't need the movie.

Ladies Night is good novella and so is Right to Life which is another novella of his that, like The Girl Next Door, is based on a real crime.

My recommendation from another thread.

This book will destroy you. I have never had a movie, book, song, poem, anything affect me the way this book did. I couldn't sleep. I felt sick. I felt angry. I was pacing around my house at 2am on a work night not knowing what to do.

Back