• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex

I've just finished the book, it didn't took so long time as expected since I got vication.

This must be on of the best books I have read so far, it goes right into my top teen list. Aren't sure how high yet, since it have to sink in. I've to go now but I'll write more about this book later on.

If you are looking for a good read I recommend this book!

I finished Middlesex last night, and while overall I really enoyed it, I also had a few problems with it.

Calling Cal's brother Chapter Elven also bugged me a bit - at first I thought that he might be called this to protect his identity (as with the Object) and that Chapter 11 of the book would discuss his background and personality. Chapter 11, however, is mainly focused on Milton and Tessie, with just one short sentence describing the birth of Chapter Eleven. I was a little annoyed that his name still was explained by the end of the book - but then again it could be just the translation (I don't get why he'd be called "the bankruptcy" either though :confused: )

I was a little disappointed with the ending, to be honest. The whole novel had been working up to the time when Calliope would discover her condition and I was looking forward to seeing how she would cope with this revelation and the feelings that ensued. I felt that I was a little let down in this aspect, with the book ending as soon as she began to accept her condition. I thought that Cal working the in the Club was a little far-fetched as well. Another thing that disappointed me was that there was no reunion with the Object - I was looking forward to her reaction.

Regardless of these few setbacks, this book was a great read. The intricate plot and beautiful writing made for a compelling story, and I found the medical sections informative and interesting (I didn't find it "intellectual" at all :confused: ). Eugenides has created a must-read novel, a seamless and powerful tale of the lives of three generations of unique individuals.

Highly recommended 4/5

I have to agree with Monkeycatcher's sentiments on the book; overall it was an excellent read and I loved the plot, but I found the end of the book to be rather quick, almost like the author wanted to finish the book off as quickly as possible.

Highly recommend it.

Middlesex

One would think that the title would hit me over the head about what the book was about but nooo!
I bought this book for two reasons: One being its a Greek author, and two, it has to do with Greece.
It was great read, the history was accurate of what went on in smyrne and I enjoyed learning some more details about that time.
The book ofcourse was about a brother and sister who escaped Smyrne in a time of war and came to the U.S. The brother and sister got married and had a family and the story from Smyrne goes to Detroit.Their struggles to make a better life for themselves.Cal the main character takes us back to Smyrne and to Detroit figuring out where the gene came from because she is a hermaphrodite.
The story was told in a way as not to put "in your face" only this part, but to peice everything together to make a beatiful story.

Calling Cal's brother Chapter Elven also bugged me a bit . . . . I don't get why he'd be called "the bankruptcy" either :confused: )
Chapter Eleven is part of the US bankruptcy code. People or companies who file for US bankruptcy are said to be in "Chapter Eleven".

I finished this last night and by the end of the book, it's quite apparent why her brother was called Chapter Eleven (or Bankruptcy in the translated versions).

I marveled at how well Eugenides managed the narrative - shifting back and forth in time and character without ever losing me. In less skilled hands, it could have been a disaster.

:star4:

Considering how disappointed I was with Eugenides' prior book, I ended up loving Middlesex. His writing really sucked me in; he has an ability to make the most mundane events huge. The humor surprised me (in a good way). I will admit the opening section dragged, but given its relevance to the story I can't complain about it *too* much.

The prior book, was it Virgin Suicides? That was most depressing book ever, and I could not finish it, while I enjoyed reading Middlesex.

I haven't read Virgin Suicides, but I really liked Coppola's movie version. Yes, it's depressing, but I like a good depressing book.

Apparently Eugenides is coming out with a new book in October.

Amazon.com: The Marriage Plot: A Novel (9780374203054): Jeffrey Eugenides: Books

It’s the early 1980s—the country is in a deep recession, and life after college is harder than ever. In the cafés on College Hill, the wised-up kids are inhaling Derrida and listening to the Talking Heads. But Madeleine Hanna, dutiful English major, is writing her senior thesis on Jane Austen and George Eliot, purveyors of the marriage plot that lies at the heart of the greatest English novels.

As Madeleine tries to understand why “it became laughable to read writers like Cheever and Updike, who wrote about the suburbia Madeleine and most of her friends had grown up in, in favor of reading the Marquis de Sade, who wrote about deflowering virgins in eighteenth century France,” real life, in the form of two very different guys, intervenes. Leonard Bankhead––charismatic loner, college Darwinist, and lost Portland boy––suddenly turns up in a semiotics seminar, and soon Madeleine finds herself in a highly charged erotic and intellectual relationship with him. At the same time, her old “friend” Mitchell Grammaticus––who’s been reading Christian mysticism and generally acting strange––resurfaces, obsessed with the idea that Madeleine is destined to be his mate.

Over the next year, as the members of the triangle in this amazing, spellbinding novel graduate from college and enter the real world, events force them to reevaluate everything they learned in school. Leonard and Madeleine move to a biologicy laboratory on Cape Cod, but can’t escape the secret responsible for Leonard’s seemingly inexhaustible energy and plunging moods. And Mitchell, traveling around the world to get Madeleine out of his mind, finds himself face-to-face with ultimate questions about the meaning of life, the existence of God, and the true nature of love.

Are the great love stories of the nineteenth century dead? Or can there be a new story, written for today and alive to the realities of feminism, sexual freedom, prenups, and divorce? With devastating wit and an abiding understanding of and affection for his characters, Jeffrey Eugenides revives the motivating energies of the Novel, while creating a story so contemporary and fresh that it reads like the intimate journal of our own lives.

Sounds interesting.

Back