• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Steinbeck

Thursday_Next said:
I find it very interesting that so many critics and leaders don't have more faith in the people.
When I read what the critics had thought about The Moon is Down I remembered that some critics had said almost the same thing about the film Der Untergang (at least that is how I think it's spelled:eek: ). That the film had portraited Hitler like a human being. Duh! He was!

The amazing about the book is how it has a universal aspect about it. Any person in a nation that is illegally occupied can sympathize with the townspeople and come to see the occupiers as their own. The following line was the most powerful to me:

Orden fingered his gold medallion. He said quietly, "You see, sir, nothing can change it. You will be destroyed and driven out." His voice was very soft. "The people don't like to be conquered sir, and so they will not be. Free men cannot start a war, but once it is starated, they can fight on in defeat. Herd men, followers of a leader, cannot do that, and so it is always the herd men who win battles and the free men who win wars. You will find that is so sir."

In that quick section, Steinbeck answers why it is that occupying forces never win in the long run. The book was viewed as a threat by the Nazis for exactly this reason, and they knew it contained a very powerful truth. If you translate this book into any language of a people who have bene conquered, it would speak as powerfully to them as it did for those who were under nazi occupation. The introduction to my book states that the book has been translated into 92 languages since 1945. Most works as propaganda never outlast a specific conflict. This one is very rare in that it is useful in any conflict where one power occupies another.

Just came across some good articles regarding Grapes of Wrath. Articles such as this can be found at the link at the bottom. While I've read of Biblical themes in this work and the "J.C." thing, some of the other items I haven't heard about before. Of all of them, the slaying of Jim Casey to me is a stretch. It would be morre plausible had Casey been taken from amidst the camp of workers or if he was mocked before his death. On a different tangent, it is interesting to note that he was killed using an ax handle, which historically, has symbolized(at least partially in this instance) the fasces symbol. Perhaps unintentional, but an interesting note anyways.

Steinbeck manages to give Jim Casey the exact initials as the historical savior (J.C.), which allows the reader to latch onto this connection from the beginning. Yet, Casey’s relation to Christ goes beyond such mere coincidences, and plays out rather in their similar plans of action. One of the many similarities between Casey and Christ is that Casey had also drifted out to the forests in order to “soul-search” and discover the answers to sometimes hidden questions. In this particular situation, Casey himself states the comparison of Christ’s and his actions while giving a grace at the Joad’s breakfast table, “...I been in the hills, thinkin’, almost you might say like Jesus went into the wilderness to think His way out of a mess of troubles” (Steinbeck ch.8). Casey further goes on during his rather rambling grace, “I got tired like Him...I got mixed up like Him...I went into the wilderness like Him, without no campin’ stuff” (Steinbeck ch.8). With Casey’s character openly admitting, without seeming conceited, that he and Jesus Christ are in some way similar, it continues to bluntly let the reader come to realize that Casey was indeed meant to be the Christ figure of this book.

Yet another similarity between Jim Casey and Jesus Christ can be seen when Casey decides to venture off and join a union group in order to prevent strike wages from falling even farther. This represents the event of Jesus Christ and his faithful disciples, traveling with him in an effort to spread their beliefs throughout the people as a whole. In addition, there were many people who wanted to follow Christ and his quest, yet they declined due to fear of persecution, just as the migrant workers feared an upset of government retaliation against trouble-makers or “reds”.

However, the greatest significance regarding Jim Casey as a Christ figure occurs when the security officers discover Casey and his “followers”, initiating a struggle and eventually stealing his life with the aid of an ax handle. These events are parallel to Christ’s crucifixion in order to preserve the heart of his cause of religious reform. Also, after Casey had passed, the strike could no longer hold and wages plummet deeper, just as the upper class citizens began to regain the advantage over the oppressed Christian members of society.

Aside from these occurrences in common, there lie a great deal of others. Steinbeck clearly presents Jim Casey as a definite Depression-era representation of Christ in the first portion of the story, while further evidence is present throughout the entire novel. The author uses the character of Jim Casey as a vessel to portray the importance of religion in peoples’ lives in such times of hardship, when a family’s unity and faith in God were the only things that kept them going.
http://www.slashdoc.com/documents/59305

The Moon Is Down is certainly a book that I continue to think of after reading it and it will jump into my thoughts on little notice. It is understandable why it was so widely read and smuggled into some of the European Countries during the war. The book "rings true" and gives hope to all free people.

"The flies have conquered the flypaper". ;)

muggle said:
The Moon Is Down is certainly a book that I continue to think of after reading it and it will jump into my thoughts on little notice. It is understandable why it was so widely read and smuggled into some of the European Countries during the war. The book "rings true" and gives hope to all free people.

I couldn't agree more! :)

Today(April 9th) of 1940 is when Nazi Germany invaded Norway and Denmark. Wow, and just think-that's what gave encouragement for the writing of The Moon is Down.:)

I've read much of Steinbeck's work. My opinion ranges from SUPERB to feh.
My favorite of all is Travels With Charlie. I didn't see that one mentioned in the thread, although, I have't read the whole thread. It may be one of his lesser known works, though. This book is unusual for Steinbeck in that it is not a novel. It is Steinbeck himself, talking to you the reader. Reading it, I felt privileged to be having this relationship with this brilliant, Noble Prize winning, famous author. He recounts his travels across the USA in a pick-up truck, converted into a sort of mobile home, with his poodle Charlie. Fascinating from start to finish.
I loved also, The Red Pony, The Pearl, Of Mice and Men, and of course The Grapes of Wrath. I was NOT that enchanted with either Tortilla Flat or Cannery Row, which are somewhat similar in some respects. I won't go into why I didn't love them at this point, as there are those that are about to read those books, and I wouldn't want to cast any shadow on those works - as though I could. After all, he's JOHN STEINBECK and I'm only Libre.

Actually, I finished Travels With Charley just recently and although I thoroughly enjoyed the book it was one of my least favorites of his. It was however, a very good book. Tortilla Flat now was much more interesting and the same with Cannery Row. I enjoyed Steinbeck's intimate description of the people from that era and part of the Country. I visited Monterey and Carmel and can visualize how it must have been during the period described by Steinbeck. No question that The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden were great epics and a must read. One of my favorites of all though was The Moon Is Down. A book that I will re-read a number of times.

I have East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, The Winter of Our Discontent and The Pearl on my reading list. I think Steinbeck was a fantastic writer. I have only read Of Mice and Men and I think it's a great story.

IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of Steinbeck's books. They are all good just some better than others.

like the original poster i've onyl read of mice and men and for school too!

When i finish Ada (which will be never!) i'll give the pearl a go

I started Tortilla Flat, but so far I have to say I'm way up on that fence. I will say I like it better than East of Eden. But in the end I disliked East of Eden very much. But I certainly am willing to give it a shot. :)

Well Muggle I should be able to tell after reading the first 4 chapters and scanning more. The trouble is (I think) that I just don't like his characters, why I am not sure as of yet. I will have to try another one a bit later.

Now the Burke is a different story, I really like those, just haven't gotten to all of them yet. :) But I like Robicheaux, he reminds of some of the guys I worked with once upon a time many moons ago.

pontalba said:
Well Muggle I should be able to tell after reading the first 4 chapters and scanning more. The trouble is (I think) that I just don't like his characters, why I am not sure as of yet. I will have to try another one a bit later.

Now the Burke is a different story, I really like those, just haven't gotten to all of them yet. :) But I like Robicheaux, he reminds of some of the guys I worked with once upon a time many moons ago.

I feel a little sad that you did not enjoy Tortilla Flat, especially since I recommended it to you. :) However, I recognize that Tortilla Flat may not be for everyone.

I enjoyed the book very much, and actually, intend to re-read it soon. The story of the paisanos and their comaraderie for each other appealed to me. Especially Danny and his episodes with his friends. I thought these were essentially good people, uneducated and living in poverty, that demonstrated love exists on all levels. I though that Steinbeck vividly brought to life people that existed in certain areas of Monterey, CA in that era.

When I tried to read Tortilla Flat at the end of March, it bored me. Whether this is because I had been depressed by how much I disliked Robinson's Gilead or I was gearing up for six weeks without reading, I can't say, but I only got about sixty pages in before giving up on the book - the first time I've done that with a Steinbeck.

I'll probably pick it up again in the near future, now that I'm back into a steady reading cycle. I started The Red Pony today, just to get it out of the way, and it seems to be an alright little series of events. I shuddered, though, in the second story at the mention of a paisono. Flashbacks to the abandoning of Tortilla Flat, perhaps.

I believe that a person has to finish Tortilla Flat to fully understand the book, at least it was for me. The more I read the more understanding I got of the people involved. They were not simply uneducated people living in poverty. IMHO, they were people with emotions like everyone else. I can't post too much info as I do not want to ruin the reading for everyone.

muggle said:
I feel a little sad that you did not enjoy Tortilla Flat, especially since I recommended it to you. :) However, I recognize that Tortilla Flat may not be for everyone.
Muggle
Please don't feel sad about it, I wanted to try, and you simply nudged me over a bit. :) As Stewart mentioned, sometimes mood or any number of things make for the time not being right for a certain author. I don't intend to give up, I'll try another a bit later down the road.
Part of the "problem" is that I seem to be preoccupied with a certain Russian fella at the moment.......:rolleyes: ;) :cool: :D

Steinbeck is certainly not off the list or out of the stack. :)

Back