• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

July 2008: Sándor Márai: Embers

Pontalba, I'm beginning to be more and more intrigued that Marai wrote a book where so much is left to inference, rather than hard evidence.
In Krisztina's scanning the General's face so intently, for example, Marai doesn't say why. We are left to trust the General's intuition rather than that maybe she was looking only for whether he knew of their affair or not.
This is almost like a detective story, but built around imaginary evidence. And if the whole story were finally going to click into place with one final crucial piece of the puzzle, it doesn't even do that. Konrad refuses to tell the General whether Krisztina had prior knowledge. That would have been direct testimony; instead Konrad refuses to say. And Konrad's silence during the monologue might also be taken as agreement with the General's analysis. But again it is silence, not testimony or evidence, that the case rests on.
One does have to go along with the General, because that is the monologue that Marai wrote into the book. But it is all coming out of the General's head rather than being based on fact. That's different, I think. :confused:

You're right, there is no hard evidence in a way the whole case is smoke and mirrors, and does in a way contradict itself. We are told that Konrad left the hunt shortly after the incident, and we are also told that Krisztina left the castle around the same time, so both were gone at the same time to unknown locations. One would ordinarily assume they were together.

However. According to Henrik's account shortly after the quote I cited in my last post, there is more. Henrik tries to think perhaps Konrad has gone mad, and can't imagine what reason he'd have to take up arms against him. But....
That is also how I interpreted the look of shock and astonishment in Krisztina's eyes when I stood before her after the hunt. That she intuited the secret that had bound you and me since the morning.
I'm confused here. At first I thought she was astonished Henrik was alive at all, then I realized that she'd probably been with Konrad all afternoon and knew her husband was alive, so she was not surprised to see him alive, but perhaps alive and so seemingly calm. Did Konrad and she take their cue from Henrik at dinner that night and speak of everything except the elephant in the room? If she was still planning to leave with Konrad was she only covering till they could sneak off?

Contradictory smoke and mirrors. :confused:

Pontalba, Don't know. I'm currently resisting a third re-read to try to pin things down yet more carefully, partly because I don't want to get obsessive about it :whistling: but also because I don't think they will really pin :cool: . Finally there is no way we can know what was on Konrad's or Krisztina's minds, because Marai just simply didn't say so. That has been a glaring hole from the very first reading! :sad:

Pontalba, Don't know. I'm currently resisting a third re-read to try to pin things down yet more carefully, partly because I don't want to get obsessive about it :whistling: but also because I don't think they will really pin :cool: . Finally there is no way we can know what was on Konrad's or Krisztina's minds, because Marai just simply didn't say so. That has been a glaring hole from the very first reading! :sad:

Is it really that important, Peder? The General made it clear that the details of what happened are not important.

I think we are squeezing the book dry, trying to figure it out.Like a puzzle that will never get solved. My opinion of the book:

It is a beautiful written book, very descriptive of the surroundings,and a fast enjoyable read.With that said:D, I think it was all about the General, how it took him all those years to come to terms and explain ,more for himself than anyone else that he was betrayed by both his best friend, and wife.

He tried to see from their point of view and explain why they betrayed him kinda to the point where he understood and accepted the "why". Probably for his sanity,and maybe even because he could not accept that he might have been the problem.

He kept finding excuses that annoyed me. example: Krizstina , and how she was a free spirit and she was more like Konrad.

She had a choice and she picked the General so she has no pity from me.
Then having the nerve to call Konrad a coward!

Mistakes are made in life don't get me wrong but not talking to him for eight years and then asking for him when she was dying, I am sorry, too late.
Why does she ,free spirited and all, have more rights to life than the General?

I think if she had asked for him early on, it could have been different, but then again she was in on the plot so I don't know how the General would react.

As for Konrad, I think he did think of the friendship and that's why he didn't shoot the General, and left.

(I would not be a good juror):lol:

Was there supposed to be a moral to the story? I don't think it was teaching morality, just a well written story.

Would I want to know Krizstina's point of view?, no, because how could there be an excuse for ploting to kill your husband and running off with his best friend?

Konrad's point of view maybe, but we will never know.

I have no further comment.
Finis.

But I do! :)

So I finally got around to reading this thread after finishing the novel a couple of weeks ago, and my, what great reading. Both the book and the thread. Kudos, everyone – with extra gold stars for Peder and Oskylad.

Generally:

The prose? Just beautiful. No point in saying more than that, I think; let's just say I could see the candles, smell the wine, hear the rustling of the leaves.

I don't think the General's calm, well-spoken (though repetitive) speech is strange at all. He's been stuck in here for 40 years, turning this over and over in his head, polishing every single phrase 20,000 times, trying to make sense of it – because as we find out, he already knows the answers, though he might never have admitted it to himself. All that remains is to get Konrad to admit it; to "kill something in him."

There's a lot of talk about obsession in the later parts of the thread, which is one of the themes that struck me as well – and reminded me of another ex-pat iron curtain escapee. It first struck me while reading the book, especially towards the end when Henrik's monologue really picks up speed; I'm reminded of Humbert's monologue to Quilty at the end of Lolita. Both characters have appointed themselves judge, jury and executioner for the sake of someone whom neither of them was able to keep (or deserve to keep) – but the blade is directed towards himself at least as much. And also in the sense that this long monologue, where he's had 41 years to try and remember everything, raises the question – just how reliable is he on the details, anyway? He's the one who says Konrad tried to kill him. He admits that he didn't actually see it, but he knows it. Konrad doesn't deny it, but – and correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't have the book here just now – he doesn't confirm it, either. In fact, he refuses to do either. Is he there to be spoken to, or to listen? For his own sake, or for Henrik's? Pontalba posted this quote
The book is really about obsession, grief, and mature acceptance, as well what human beings do with their brief time alive. The how the story unfolds is far more important than what it unfolds.
which could just as well fit Nabokov's book, even if ol' Vlad was even trickier. Similar issues on a base level, approached from different ends of life. Can we ever really know another person? Henrik goes into great detail about what Konrad and Krisztina thought, felt, and did. Does he actually know that, or is he just projecting his own issues?

Obviously, it can be read with allegorical overtones. This is Kakanian literature written post-1919, after all; not only had the Austro-Hungarian empire been split up, but Hungary itself had been shrunk to roughly half its historic size, with ethnic Hungarians and formerly Hungarian lands suddenly belonging to other countries, and the novel is suffused with loss. Note that Konrad has become a British citizen; the book was written in 1942, in the middle of WWII, where Hungary and Britain were on opposite sides. No wonder a reconciliation between the two is impossible at that point - and no wonder that anti-fascist pro-Hungarian Marai is hesitant to make either character a hero. There's nostalgia, but there's also an awareness of the dangers of nostalgia; the pride keeping Henrik and Krisztina apart; the focus on the past making it impossible to move. Again, obsession.
Its about more than just the Empire collapsing. Its about the collapse of a way of life, a code of honor, a friendship, a marriage - all the things the General held dear. All he has left is a few rooms in his castle, and Nini.
Exactly. Henrik is stuck in his way of thinking; he's the old guard, true to the emperor, the way he was brought up (personified by the woman who brought him up), having given everything to protect the country, the ruler, the way of life that no longer exists outside his walls. He closes the door around that and preserves it – and when he finally opens the door, he has to re-evaluate everything he's kept. The fire has died down; the embers barely manage to burn Krisztina's diary, and the dying candles leave the stage dark. (The fall of the Berlin wall is 50 years away.)

That's not to say it's JUST an allegory, obviously; it seems to me the setting serves the theme more than the other way around. On the other hand, we have the fairly (deceptively?) simple love triangle. Pontalba mentioned the soap opera aspect; in a way, that was the bit that disappointed me – I remember going "Oh come on, please don't let this be about Konrad and Krisztina having an affair." Because it IS old hat and it HAS been done a hundred times, but maybe that's the point. Still, a small disappointment. As is Konrad's woefully underdeveloped story; sure, that's not the point – if the novel is indeed about the General's obsession and almost solipsist in its focus on his perception of what happened, then learning too much about Konrad's POV might actually defeat the point – but still, it would have been nice to get SOME inkling of what goes on in him, why he's here now, etc. In a way, if you strip away what the characters do over the course of the novel, he's the more interesting character in his own right; he's the one who can look up and see something else than what he's been conditioned, taught to see. He's the one who sees another world. Henrik sees duties; Konrad sees possibilities.

The ending is extremely powerful, despite – or perhaps even because of – the way Marai deftly cheats us out of a big climax; a tearful reunion, pistols at dawn, an angry retort by Konrad, anything. But that's not the point, is it? The point is Henrik working through it all; the novel doesn't come with any big signs saying "HERE'S THE MORAL", and the ending is just as ambiguous as the blame Henrik throws at Konrad and Krisztina. It's variations, explorations of a theme like in a Chopin sonata, but without a big finale that you can sing along to. Is the general ready to die, or at last ready to live?

There are things about the novel that bug me; the unlikability (is that a word?) of Henrik, which is deliberate but not necessarily enjoyable, the rather predictable soap opera angle (which, again, might all be because the General simply doesn't have the imagination to make up a better story), the lack of insight into the other characters... but a very strong :star4: nevertheless. I enjoyed it. Maybe that's the point.

Great review Beergood,as always.
I have read two other Marai since-Esther inheritance and currently Metamorphosis of a wedding,so i getting a better general idea about his writing.It is a lot about classes obsession,specialy bourgoisie and failled humain relations.It seems to be mostly in monologues,and very clear separation in time.
If sometime his novels a weak on the story line,or have terribly long narration,i very rarely read novels so rich with deep humain insight.He pick essential and most of the time openly unknow(or barely felt) constituant of humain charactere,show you that what you thought very personnal belong to others too.I don't know if it make any sense,maybe call it psychology but Sandor marai has a way to make things no other writer,so far, as pointed out,feel like the were evidence.
A last thing,it toke me few readings to realy like Embers,call me slow witted but a year or so after my first read it came back to me,insidiously,has an important book(to me).

Back