• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

June 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

Hockey eh? Never thought the Habs would go this far either!:)

They seemed to come from nowhere to win the conference. I thought they were going to take the Flyers down, but now they're just fighting to stay alive. Saturday should prove interesting.

There is far more in this book than just a meeting.This happen after 40 year of waiting on both side.There is the stories of both lives together and appart,all that made this moment of revelation possible.The style alone would justify the reading.I wish someone else read this to segond me.It's a small book to,but there so much in it.
I'm reading this now and would certainly second it, in fact do.
Thanks for reminding me of it Thomas.

They seemed to come from nowhere to win the conference. I thought they were going to take the Flyers down, but now they're just fighting to stay alive. Saturday should prove interesting.
:mad: still trying to get my heart back in place.....:mad:

As for the book suggestion , what do we have up to now??

It sounds like a good read Ronny, but is it going to "fuel" discussion?
It went on my list of to read books though.:)

I'm not sure, since I have not read it yet but the subject matter, the story of the author and the story of how the book came to be are certainly interesting.

I'm not sure, since I have not read it yet but the subject matter, the story of the author and the story of how the book came to be are certainly interesting.

I've read Suite Francaise Ronny and Libra, and to really get the gist of it, her bio must be read alongside IMO....I did and it definitely added to the understanding and enjoyment.
Although that said, the bio is really no more than a compilation of factoids, no true heart to it. JMO though.

I've read Suite Francaise Ronny and Libra, and to really get the gist of it, her bio must be read alongside IMO....I did and it definitely added to the understanding and enjoyment.
Although that said, the bio is really no more than a compilation of factoids, no true heart to it. JMO though.

That's good to know, thanks Pontalba :)

Libra,
I read the "Kite Runner" by Hosseini. It is an OK read, but not too deep - it is sort of a "POP" in literature, may be. So there is not much to discuss. I'd say- this is a book that reads easily and fast, it even touches some strings in your soul, but you forget the story as soon as you close the book at its last page. Besides, the second part of this book is rather dull, so you might get annoyed and wight want to read through the last 150 pages really fats.

Anyways, not much to discuss... Besides may be the political aspect of the book - what the hell those Russians ans later on the Americans did to this poor country. But that is not the main subject of the book anyway.

I saw the movie tonight and I have to say I really liked it. I cried through most of it.:rolleyes: and like you said politics wasn't the main thing. The relationship between these two boys was, and it was powerful. For a discussion I agree, it's not such a good choice, but as a good story to read I would recomend it:)

Suite francaise is excellent but with bovary just a month behind,it would be a bit to much froggies:).I agree it would fuel a good discussion though.
Sorry Libra but i deeply disliked the Kite runner,Stewart made a good review on the book.
Maybe a farwell to arm would be a good change(even if hemingway is far from being on of ma fav)
I loved Father and son but again we be stuck in Russia.

Embers would be a great on,it seems to be a great fuel of discussion
Márai Sándor: Embers - World Literature Forum

John Banville ,the sea or any others would also make for a very interesting and rich sujet.I don't think Pontalba would contradict me;)

Suite francaise is excellent but with bovary just a month behind,it would be a bit to much froggies:).I agree it would fuel a good discussion though.
Sorry Libra but i deeply disliked the Kite runner,Stewart made a good review on the book.
Maybe a farwell to arm would be a good change(even if hemingway is far from being on of ma fav)

John Banville ,the sea or any others would also make for a very interesting and rich sujet.I don't think Pontalba would contradict me;)

I certainly would not! :D
BTW, finished Embers yesterday, excellent. There is much to discuss there, even if only on the subject of friendship.

the literature forum is very interesting, I would feel lost there, (but I go and read the topics;) Other then the ones you have recomended, I am sure there are more from the literature forum that would be interesting ? or would they be too over the top for a group discussion?

Libra,
There is an English Lit section as well at World Lit, the majority of the books in the [rest of the] forum are unfamiliar to me, but it's interesting to read the reviews and opinions that have been posted.

Libra,
There is an English Lit section as well at World Lit, the majority of the books in the [rest of the] forum are unfamiliar to me, but it's interesting to read the reviews and opinions that have been posted.

I peek, I like the reviews, and saliotthomas did a nice job on Embers

maybe we should give it a try for June.

I ordered it about april 18, but I made a few mistakes, I would have gotten it sooner. It was my first order from the net.I am learning.

What are you leaning towards fromthe suggestions so far?

Back