• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Know any good detective novels?

Villano

kickbox
I really enjoy reading Police/Detective thrillers and mysteries and am currently in need of some good recommendations. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative!

Really good detective mysteries I read recently include Lost Light by Michael Connelly, Master of Rain by Tom Bradby and Body of Truth by David Lindsay.

Hey, thanks. I've actually already read Lost Light (love the Harry Bosch novels) but I haven't heard of Tom Bradby or David Lindsay before. I'll have to look them up!

The Alex Cross series by James Patterson are very good

The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell are good (at least the early books the last couple have been so-so)

The Penn Cage books by Greg Iles are very good. The first book in the series is called "The Quiet Game" and is one of the best mystery/thrillers I have read

I'm actually going to be going to the library later on today and I've made a list of the books that have been suggested. Thanks again everyone! I'm pretty excited to check out all your recommendations. Keep 'em coming :)

I really enjoyed Blow Out by Catherine Coulter, I had never read her before. And you MUST read Chiefs by Stuart Woods...and Dirty White Boys by Stephen Hunter.

Dirty White Boys is one of the best books I read back in the 90's. Great characters and action from start to finish. Every person I've loaned it to has loved it.

Just wanted to say "thanks" to all the recommendations; I've got quite a pool to choose from, which makes me happy!

If you are looking for more recommendations, I'll add my own two cents:
To my mind, detective fiction begins and ends with Rex Stout. Some of the Nero Wolfe mysteries are better than others, but they are all good.
I also greatly enjoyed John Dunnings first two mysteries set in the world of rare books (The Bookman's Wake & Booked to Die). They work as mysteries without relying on genre claptrap like so many of today's niche mysteries.
If you'd like to try something a little off the beaten path, look for Eric Garcia's Rex series. Again, they are well written noir-ish mysteries that just happen to have a dinosaur as the lead character.
Also, more on the thriller side of things, I highly recommend Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. It's more than just a thriller, but is also a great thriller.

One of my all-time favorite detective mysteries is The Main by Trevanian. it is about a police lieutenant in Montreal. I have read it numerous times. Can usually find it at used book shop, as it is pretty old.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

It's a detective novel sort of,except you look through a Forensics POV,AND to add to that he kills other Serial Killers.

I am reading The Black Echo currently,Bosch is the coolest Detective in Literature.

Just wanted to throw in another "Thank You" for the recommendations! I can't wait to get cracking on all these new book ideas; I've been really busy lately and as a reward to myself am planing to go on a book shopping spree. I'm pretty excited now for it actually.

and I agree, The Butcher, Bosch is the coolest detective in literature. :)

Read ANYTHING by Harlan Coben ... the Myron Bolitar novels are great fun and Coben's stand alone novels are wonderful (my first stand alone was "Tell No One".

Coben is one of those novelists that keeps you guessing until the end and then, he twists it one more time and make your hair stand on end. You have to read his books to the very last sentence.

Awesome writer and I'll be you'll get as hooked on his books as I did!

I posted this list in another thread but probably should post it here for you, too, since you were asking for suggestions. In my first reply to you mentioned Harlan Coben but I have a much larger list for you to choose from (some of these authors have probably already been mentioned by other members):

Lee Child, Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, Allison Brennan, David Balducci, Sandra Brown, Beverly Connor, Patricia Cornwall, Jeffrey Deaver, Nelson DeMille, Eileen Dryer, Lisa Gardner, Tess Gerriten, Kay Hooper, Tami Hoag, Gregg Hurwitz, Greg Iles, Christine Heggan, both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, Philip Margolin, Steve Martini, Christine McGuire, both James and Richard North Patterson, T. Jefferson Parker, Thom Racina, Kathy Reichs (if you like the "Bones" tv series, you'll love Reichs' books), Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, Lisa Scottoline, Taylor Smith, Erica Spindler, John Sandford, Tom Savage, Mariah Stewart, Stephen White and, last but certainly not least, Stuart Woods.

In my opinion, pick up a book by any of these authors and you will be pleased with your choice ... all terrific writers of thriller mysteries.

Back