• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

I saw Kingdom of Heaven last night.

I really enjoyed the movie. I really like Ridley Scott! The movie is full of wonderful images and moments such as snow caught in the air in a silent forest, vast desert vistas, battles, quiet court yards filled with light, panoramic city shots. Every scene is always interesting and beautifully shot. Ridley Scott always seems to engage me emotionally as well as ascetically.

The plot, was good and moved forward quickly. The battle scenes were just outstanding! Amazing stuff. I had read a few reviews of the movie before going to see it and one said he found it to be a bit naive and simplistic because it seems the message in the film is "can't we all just get along?" Maybe the world has become too cynical, but I don't think that is such a bad message to have and it's actually simple but true all the same. There are a couple of other issues the movie deals with. It's not a deep movie by any means, but the messages are there. Maybe it's a little simplistic and sloppy but it's nice to see it tackle some of the issues.

Acting is very good! Astounding cast of actors giving it their all. Except of course Orlando Bloom he is shit as ever and shown up even more by the greats he is playing along side with! His character does not actually talk much in the movie so it's OK :D

Not the best film there ever was. Not as good as Gladiator. It's a different movie, but when you have made something SO good as Gladiator it's only natural that your next movie will be compared to it. Not the best ever, but damn good movie. The 2 and half hours didn't drag one bit for me.

Martin, have I redeemed myself yet? Can we forget Miss Congeniality? :D

Oh the humanity! What can I do to repair my tarnished movie watching name!

Alright, I'll go see the new Star Wars movie :D

bobbyburns said:
the original is different, but, overall, I think it's a better film. the acting is kind of shoddy at times, but that's true for most of john carpenter's films. what more do you want, ya know? his characters tend to be very two-dimensional. that said, for a second attempt at directing, he did an awesome job with assault. the action is pretty fast paced, and the atmosphere goes from being serene to being very dark and claustrophobic. it really makes you feel a sense of impending doom. carpenter is great at that.

Thanks for the detailed response. My boyfriend wouldn't watch the new one because he was afraid it would taint the original for him. Should I tell him not to worry?

Last seen movie: Hundstage by Ulrich Seidl
Fabulous anti glamour flick. A tribute to the human flesh in all shapes.

Austrian cinema is so cool.

Ghost in the Shell I was fairly surprised by that this movie was so thoughtful. I really loved the mood of this film. I don't think I have seen a lot of animated movies where there were scenes without action or talk, just pictures accompanied by music.

Harold and Maude. I really liked the sense of humor in this movie, but didn't really think the story was anything great. Still it has a lot of really funny scenes, so it's worth watching more than once.

Maléna. Although there is a sad side to this story it still had me laughing a lot. The movie is filled with incidents where it's can't do anything but laugh. I assume that the way the society is described in the movie is fairly accurate.

Ghost in the Machine is a really wonderful movie that's both thoughtful and beautiful.

Malena: I didn't really like it. 2/3 of the entire movie are spent showing how the boy is infatuated with Malena. OK. I got it. Move on. Way too slow. The last part was very good. The director put across his message and the movie moved well. Pity the rest of the film was not the same way :)

I thought the first part of Maléna was the part that told the most. Completly male dominated society, the boy has no influence at all, and as such is unable to help Maléne in any way. This is part of why he just observes her from a distance. I don't think the movie would have worked if you changed the first part.

hay82 said:
I thought the first part of Maléna was the part that told the most. Completly male dominated society, the boy has no influence at all, and as such is unable to help Maléne in any way. This is part of why he just observes her from a distance. I don't think the movie would have worked if you changed the first part.

But surely they could have made the same point with half an hour? :)

Ghost in the Shell is wonderful and together with Blade Runner it must be one of the best action movies with a decent plot.

The brutality in “Maléna” is impressive. The actress in the role of Maléna is also in “Irréversible”. Violence almost seems like a trademark to her but she’s been in a lot of other movies where she hasn't been involved with the violence of course, it's just that the scenes in these movies are so strong.

She's an Italian singer. I know she is quite big and well known in Spain ( she sings in Spanish ) and I guess her native Italy too. I really like her songs a lot and especially the one that I have quoted from. I think it's actually my all time fave song ever. I first heard it around 3 years ago and still listen to it!

Hope that explains :)

Back