• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The Oregonian. A peculiar horror film about a woman's attempts to find help after getting into a car accident. There was plenty of Lynchian-style oddness, although in this case I don't think it added up to anything.

The Changling

I'm a little behind the curve on this one since it's been out for a good while, but I just saw The Changling with Angelina Jolie, and it was exceptional. It explores the true story of a child abduction in 1920's Los Angeles and also deals with police corruption and the unethical use of the powers of psychiatry by the physicians of the time. The piece is remarkable both for its moving plot and for its recreation of the period. Two thumbs up!

Leonardo Noto

Hausu (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977). This is, quite simply, the best film I've seen in my entire life. An utterly deranged ghost story about seven young schoolgirls who go to visit a haunted house owned by an aunt of one of the girls, and... let's just say wackiness ensues. Boy oh boy oh boy, does it ensue. Watch this. Thank me later.

I watched this last night. To say it's bat-shit crazy would be an understatement, and that's coming from someone who's used to films that definitely veer away from the normal curve... however, it is definitely brilliant, no argument from me there; if you've more than a passing knowledge of Japanese cinema since this films release, you'll see just how damn influential it has been. I caught whiffs of everything from Ring and Audition, to The Happiness of the Katakuris, Exte and in style to even far more conventional films such as Turtles Are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers and The Uchōten Hotel.

So, thanks beer good for the recommendation. Best £9 I've spent on a DVD in a while. Of the non-Dr Who variety that is, anyway :innocent:

Glad you liked it! I loved it so much I had to run out and get the Criterion edition of it... Now all I need is an excuse to watch it again.

Watched Hugo yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. I'd expected another Harry Potter ripoff, and instead got a rather moving love letter to early film makers and the power of cinema. (The fact that it's in 3D will be either ironic or right on the nose, depending on your opinion of 3D.) Sure, it goes on a little too long, and sure, Sacha Baron Cohen is basically doing a cover version of Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo, but the last 45 minutes or so really are quite nice indeed. :star4:

Saw the Lon Chaney version of Phantom Of The Opera with live music yesterday. If only that movie had a coherent script... But Chaney does a great monster, the colourised ballroom scene is stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbs3Cd-oakk

Also, speaking of silents, I managed to track down one of the last copies of this OOP box set, including Häxan - Witchcraft Through The Ages, Greta Garbo's film debut in The Saga Of Gösta Berling, The Phantom Chariot etc... all restored with brand new scores, lots of extras, etc. It's the anti-3D.

The Descendants. Musical score is excellent, Gabby Pahinui has this odd effect wherein he makes hips sway and brains relax and turn off at the same time. George Clooney makes for easy watching, the fusion between the sadness of the subject matter and the awful awful sunny brightness of Hawaii is effective. Yet, I kept thinking of it as a pilot for an upcoming tv show.

The Help. Everyone has charming accents, there are some shenanigans over a special pie. I do not understand the hype.

Moneyball. Brad Pitt is eating in almost all his scenes. Can't recall anything else about the film.

Hugo. The kid playing Hugo looks uncannily like Maggie Gyllenhaal.
In the autumn of last year, I was having a wander through London and happened upon an exhibition, Watch Me Move, quite by chance. It showcased an amazing gamut of animation including cartoons, shadow puppets, stop motion, anime and CGI, from across the entirety of cinematic history.
It was an absolutely amazing experience, the highlight of which was some of the works by the Lumière Brothers and Georges Méliès, including A Trip to the Moon. I completely forgot where I was and was consumed entirely by the films. There was such a pull to them, such magic.

Hugo does a sweet job of exploring that world, of using the creative magic of those pioneers to present the great Méliès to a new generation of cinema-goers. It's not quite a biography, or a children's film, or an adult's film, but manages to be all three. Beyond genre-lisation.
If any of that doesn't take your fancy then: Automatons! Snowy Paris! Talented orphans!

The Tree of Life. Urban forests of glass, extinct predators, silent planets, endless caverns and fissures, man with all his sins great and small. This is a beautiful film, a marriage of benediction and chaos. Parts of it are awe inspiring. It is a test in patience however, feels like it has done away with time and runs at its own leisure, the solution is simply to remove your watch and go with it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. There are many things in it to like, but overall I remain unconvinced it does justice to the source material. I needs me a pair of leather gloves!

Didn't get around to seeing The Artist, so it will no doubt win everything. : |

My Week With Marilyn-:star2:

Really? I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've seen it's gotten pretty good reviews - or at least Michelle Williams has?

We watched The Muppets in preparation for the Oscars. And yeah, it's absolutely shameless nostalgia - the whole thing basically exists so Jason Segel and his friends can go "Remember when you were a kid and watched the Muppet Show? Wasn't that great?" But that said, it was fun, it played around a lot with the classic Blues Brothers/Underdog Wins plot, and it had chickens singing Cee-Lo Green's "Cluck You". :star3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX07sTSHiTs

The movie didn't explore Monroe's persona and lacked conflict. It got to the point where I continued the movie solely for the acting talents of Kenneth Branagh and Michelle Williams.

Somehow I ended up watching Breaking Dawn Part 1. I know the earlier installments haven't exactly been brimming with plot, but this is ridiculous; if your story only consists of your two characters staring at each other, it does not need to be broken up into two 2-hour movies.

But hey, we got two lovely pedophiles-are-sweet scenes and one childbirth-is-unnatural-and-wrong scene, so I guess the second half will be... um... let me guess; 2 hours of people staring at each other?

Elite Squad ~ tense thriller from Brazil about a special unit of the police battling the drug gangs that rule the many slums in Rio. Followed by a sequel that I need to check out. :star4:

Due Date :star3:

Hugo :star4:
Not what I was expecting but maybe better in some ways than anticipated. My 9 year old daughter liked it as well. Since she liked this Scorcese, we're watching Goodfellas next.
Not.

Afraid of the Dark :star3: 1/2
More of a dark fairy tale than a horror movie. Visually engaging. Fun movie.

Back