• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

I think my favourite scene was when
Nic Cage has been captured and is being carried up the hill. The camera shows a bunch of hippie chicks walking and off-screen we hear Nic yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAAH! MY LEGS! MY LEGS!" I swear I almost burst a gut then; it's like a Monty Python outtake. (Of course, 2 minutes later they string him up by his legs and they seem fine then, so it can't have been all THAT bad.)

Heehee...that was pretty funny..almost as funny as
all the women dressed up as animals..dancing along through the woods - and then Nic Cage 'escaping' with the girl while he was wearing the bear suit (?!)
. I know it wasn't meant to be funny...but I just couldn't get over it. I mean, how are you supposed to take that seriously?

I'm no "Veronica Mars" fan, but I think that show is better than Brick. The premise behind that movie was great, but the film itself was disappointing. I couldn't get used to everyone using the vocabulary of 1950's detectives, and the main characters sure had a lot of free time on their hands. Oh well...

In any case, I saw Girl: Interrupted. I liked it well enough, but I wasn't expecting it to depart from Susanna Kaysen's memoir so much.
The name of the hospital was changed, which was odd, and there was one moment where Susanna and Lisa consider escaping to go to Florida. According to Kaysen, that never happened.

On the plus side, the acting was great. Jolie's performance was the most intriguing, and I also enjoyed Whoopi Goldberg and Brittany Murphy's contributions. Winona Ryder was okay, I guess... not exactly her best work.

I've been trapped in watching "Lost" I have fallen in love with the show. I just finished Season one, and I'm waiting for Netflix to send me the first disk of season two. I have to hurry up and finish so I can start with season three that starts on Oct. 4th on the TV. I'll probably have to DVR the first two or three episodes until I'm done watching them on Disk.

Watched the Belgian horror film Calvaire(The Ordeal). I thought it was very well done for a first feature and loved its subtle tips of the hat to some horror classics. Also had some surreal moments of beauty, which I loved. And it doesn't hurt that the woman from my avatar had a small part in it as well. ;)

This weekend, so far, I have seen X-Men 3, Big Daddy, Curious George (too many times to count with an overly enthusiastic two-year-old), and will probably see V for Vendetta and Elizabethtown tomorrow, which we rented, but haven't seen yet. We rented a bunch this weekend because of my surgery. I don't normally watch so much TV, but have been too tired to really read. I have to focus to read, because I get so absorbed in it and have to put myself into that book and in that world, kwim? If I can't get into it like that, I just get nothing out of it and keep re-reading the same sections over and over.

I've been trapped in watching "Lost" I have fallen in love with the show. I just finished Season one, and I'm waiting for Netflix to send me the first disk of season two. I have to hurry up and finish so I can start with season three that starts on Oct. 4th on the TV. I'll probably have to DVR the first two or three episodes until I'm done watching them on Disk.

Doesn't it make you crazy that you can't have the whole boxed set at once? :) My husband not-so-patiently waits for his next Lost installments every 3 days.

I saw The Wild over the weekend. I absolutely loved it! But then, I am a big fan of Disney cartoons. :D

The Haunting ~ It's been several years since I last seen the original film, but it was good to watch it again. One notices new things with each viewing of movies, not matter whether they are new or old.

I rented Thank You For Smoking this weekend and thought it was hilarious. Here’s a guy with probably the least respected job in the world, as spin-doctor for the cigarette companies; but you can’t help liking the guy and rooting for him. The speech he gives to his son’s classroom on career day had me howling. Despite the subject matter (or rather because of it), this is a film I think both smokers and non-smokers would love.

I rented Thank You For Smoking this weekend and thought it was hilarious. Here’s a guy with probably the least respected job in the world, as spin-doctor for the cigarette companies; but you can’t help liking the guy and rooting for him. The speech he gives to his son’s classroom on career day had me howling. Despite the subject matter (or rather because of it), this is a film I think both smokers and non-smokers would love.

LOL-Great film!. The classroom scene was a riot.

Rented Click. Kind of It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Tale featuring Adam Sandler. It's the only Sandle movie that(gasp!) has some element of deep thought.

The Departed

I watched the Departed last night...great movie!:) The Departed is not for the light hearted though, and leave the children at home.

May. It was okay, and the lead actress was fantastic in her role, but the movie wasn't quite what I was expecting. More of a character study than a bloodbath, although there's a fair bit of gore and mayhem towards the end.

I saw The Departed last week and it's the best film I've seen this year. Great perfs all around. I also just watched the follow up film from May's director called The Woods, it was ok, but I didn't think it was as good as May.

May. It was okay, and the lead actress was fantastic in her role, but the movie wasn't quite what I was expecting. More of a character study than a bloodbath, although there's a fair bit of gore and mayhem towards the end.

I really liked "May". You don't see a lot of horror movies (if that's what you can call it) with a reasonably unique story, but this is one - I was reminded of Cronenberg's "Spider" by way of "Carrie", but that's high praise in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing "The Woods"; "Sick Girl" (McKee's entry in the Masters Of Horror series) was a disappointment, IMO (even if I really like Angela Bettis), but hell, "The Woods" has The Bruce! That's reason enough to see it for me.

I saw The Lake House last night. The first 20 minutes were just ok, and then it got really boring and predictable. For being only 1 hour and 38 minutes, it was really long....

Doesn't it make you crazy that you can't have the whole boxed set at once? :) My husband not-so-patiently waits for his next Lost installments every 3 days.

I saw The Wild over the weekend. I absolutely loved it! But then, I am a big fan of Disney cartoons. :D

Ok, so I"m officially HOOKED on "Lost" I caught up to the current episodes so now I have to wait for each one every week.

I really liked "May". You don't see a lot of horror movies (if that's what you can call it) with a reasonably unique story, but this is one - I was reminded of Cronenberg's "Spider" by way of "Carrie", but that's high praise in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing "The Woods"; "Sick Girl" (McKee's entry in the Masters Of Horror series) was a disappointment, IMO (even if I really like Angela Bettis), but hell, "The Woods" has The Bruce! That's reason enough to see it for me.
I didn't think much of Sick Girl either, though I thought Misty Mundae was pretty good in it.

Today I had the... well, pleasure isn't the word I guess, but fortune to see "Requiem" - the German movie that is based on the same story as "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" but takes a completely different approach. Now this is more like it (no, I didn't care at all for the pseudo-religious mumbo-jumbo of "Emily Rose"). Hardly entertaining, it's very bleak, but a very moving and harrowing psychodrama about a woman slowly being driven insane - whether from personal or supernatural demons isn't really the point. The lead role is one of the best acting performances I've seen in a year at least. Highly recommended if you don't need your movies full of special effects or laugh tracks, even if it's a bit talky.

I just watched Little Miss Sunshine yesterday, and I don't think I've seen such a good movie since February, when Brokeback Mountain premiered in Portugal. This is really funny, emotional stuff!

Has anyone else seen it? I get the feeling it's an indie, so it's probably not popular. But it's just such a well-made movie about a dysfunctinal family with hilarious gags.

Back