• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

I really like The Village. I originally thought it was going to be a horror flick. I was tricked into watching it opening night (by he who shall remain nameless), and ended up enjoying it.

I've seen a few good movies this summer.

The Omen- one of the best remakes ever. really very good. (B+)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest- too much BS though fun. Kiera Knightly can't act her way out of a paper bag...sorry for the cliche'. (C)

Clerks 2- waaaaaaaaay better than I anticipated. Though Smith is still relying on quick witty dialogue than on decent plot. (B)

Strangers with Candy- If you liked the TV show, I don't see a reason why you wont like this movie. Not enough drug use and raunch like in the show though...(B-)

The Descent- Awesome. The best movie of the summer. With either ending, American or the original, its a good flick. Good plot, good twists. (A):D :D

CattiGuen said:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest- too much BS though fun. Kiera Knightly can't act her way out of a paper bag...sorry for the cliche'. (C)
I just saw Pirates last night. Possibly the worst sequel to a movie I've ever seen.

Rewatched "Apocalypse Now" last night. I must have seen this movie - both cuts - about 6 or 7 times by now over the last 16-17 years, and it still keeps getting better with every single viewing. I've heard people complain that it's unrealistic - well, duh. It's not trying to be a realistic war movie. It's a journey into madness, peeling away the layers of civilization and pretense one by one. Really need to rewatch "Redux" too and compare.

The Illusionist

I saw The Illusionist this evening and thought it was well done. I truly enjoyed it. Edward Nortons and Jessica Beil's accents were forgiveable because they gave great performances, and Rufus Sewell is always a treat - yummy - even with his wandering eye. :rolleyes:

My only disappoint was with the theatre. It was playing at The Angelika and the screen was small which I can't stand. (Why make a beautiful film to be shown on a small screen?) And the subway rumble under my feet could be heard and felt. Lastly, the theatre floor was not an incline so I had to switch seats three times and keep my neck crooked in order to see the film properly. All in all, I think the film was great and I would like to say that I will never go back to The Angelika but that would be a lie because that is one of the few theatres that show indie and foreign films in my area.

Last thing I watched is Malcolm X movie..
the movie was moving. and of course the fact that Denzel is acting in it made it even more exceptional.

The Teahouse of the August Moon

Marlon Brando as a native villager in Okinawa. I'm amused. It was a very funny movie though so I'm glad I taped it from TCM this weekend and I can watch it again.

I saw Children of Men yesterday and it was fabulous. A lot more graphic than i had thought it would be. A lot of violence and it all just felt and looked so real! Clive Owen was quite good in it. I sometimes find him a bit annoying. He looks a bit like a troll....! But i highly recommend this film.
One think that made the film a little disappointing was the ending...there wasn't one!

I just watched the remake of "The Wicker Man". Now, I try to downplay my expectations when watching remakes; they're rarely as good as the original, and it's probably best to try and watch each movie as its own piece of film.

However, "Wicker Man '06" is truly AWFUL. Seriously. It's awful in the same sense as last year's remake of "The Fog", except "The Fog" never got as offensively misogynistic as WM does. It's slow-moving, boring, with some of the dumbest dialogue in recent movie history and a complete lack of acting from most people involved (except when Nic Cage overacts, as he's very fond of doing). Where the original not only kept your interest but also managed to present a lot of nuances on the subject of religious conflicts and intolerance, this is all just Upstanding Hero Cop vs Mad Dangerous Women. Its one redeeming feature is that towards the end, it becomes so silly I can barely stop laughing for 10 minutes straight. Which, of course, is hardly what they were looking for. Oh, and it ends with a caption saying "FOR JOHNNY RAMONE", as if pissing on just ONE original wasn't enough.

I just watched the remake of "The Wicker Man". Now, I try to downplay my expectations when watching remakes; they're rarely as good as the original, and it's probably best to try and watch each movie as its own piece of film.

However, "Wicker Man '06" is truly AWFUL. Seriously. It's awful in the same sense as last year's remake of "The Fog", except "The Fog" never got as offensively misogynistic as WM does. It's slow-moving, boring, with some of the dumbest dialogue in recent movie history and a complete lack of acting from most people involved (except when Nic Cage overacts, as he's very fond of doing). Where the original not only kept your interest but also managed to present a lot of nuances on the subject of religious conflicts and intolerance, this is all just Upstanding Hero Cop vs Mad Dangerous Women. Its one redeeming feature is that towards the end, it becomes so silly I can barely stop laughing for 10 minutes straight. Which, of course, is hardly what they were looking for. Oh, and it ends with a caption saying "FOR JOHNNY RAMONE", as if pissing on just ONE original wasn't enough.

beer, I agree with you 100%. I laughed towards the end as well, which got me a lot of dirty looks from other people in the theater. :D That's 1 hour and 46 minutes of my life I wish I had back.

beer, I agree with you 100%. I laughed towards the end as well, which got me a lot of dirty looks from other people in the theater. :D That's 1 hour and 46 minutes of my life I wish I had back.
I think my favourite scene was when
Nic Cage has been captured and is being carried up the hill. The camera shows a bunch of hippie chicks walking and off-screen we hear Nic yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAAH! MY LEGS! MY LEGS!" I swear I almost burst a gut then; it's like a Monty Python outtake. (Of course, 2 minutes later they string him up by his legs and they seem fine then, so it can't have been all THAT bad.)

I saw Children of Men yesterday and it was fabulous. A lot more graphic than i had thought it would be. A lot of violence and it all just felt and looked so real! Clive Owen was quite good in it. I sometimes find him a bit annoying. He looks a bit like a troll....! But i highly recommend this film.
One think that made the film a little disappointing was the ending...there wasn't one!

I saw Children of Men as well. One of the best films I've seen in a long time. I actually liked the ending - I was thinking right up until the end it's obvious what's going to happen, he'll just give us a simplistic happy ending etc. But that never happened.

I just ordered Niagara with Marilyn Monroe, Joseph Cotton and Jean Peters (one of the former Mrs Howard Hugheses) from amazon.com.

I got so worked up by "The Wicker Man" I forgot to mention that I also watched "Brick" yesterday. Now this was a fun movie. Good ol' fashioned noir with shades of Bogart and Hammett - but set in a present-day highschool complete with drug deals gone bad, femmes fatales and a kingpin walking with a cane. Not realistic, but very stylish. This is what Veronica Mars thinks it would like to be on a good day.

I saw The Black Dahlia last Friday. Very dark (of course, what would you expect?) and a little difficult to follow, but the acting was rather good. There were a few parts I wish I'd been warned about beforehand. I'm not very squeamish, but I had to close my eyes a couple of times.

Back