• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

for the B.W. signature 'the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits'
..intelligence has a positive value in biology, doesn't it? Then the limit of stupidity is zero intelligence to X intelligence. And if intelligence is a positive value then there is no similar limit proper to genius, because we can only know at what value convention may have that genius begins. So we can know the limit of stupidity, but we may not yet know the limit of genius.

..I guess Mrs. Beer Wench's signature is a pessimistic sentiment, but a Beer Wench should not convey half empty glasses. She should bring overflowing glasses!

I appreciate your further proving my signature to be accurate, helgi. Thank you!

I didn't get to watch many movies this weekend, but I did catch part two of HBO's Elizabeth I series. It was very dramatic and I enjoyed it a great deal. I wish I had been able to watch both part 1 and part 2 at the same time instead of a few weeks from one another. I will refrain from giving too much of a synopsis since it has been so long since I saw the first, but I will say that it was very moving and gave a very realistic representation of what it must have been like to have the power of a queen but the heart of a woman. The difficult decisions that she had to make regarding her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, as well as the Earl of Essex and King James of Scotland were very well-written and displayed the complexity of emotions that she must have faced. Once I see both parts of the series together I will give a better description. I enjoyed both immensely.

Litany, I'm out of peanuts. Will pretzels do?

I appreciate your further proving my signature to be accurate, helgi. Thank you!

I didn't get to watch many movies this weekend, but I did catch part two of HBO's Elizabeth I series. It was very dramatic and I enjoyed it a great deal. I wish I had been able to watch both part 1 and part 2 at the same time instead of a few weeks from one another. I will refrain from giving too much of a synopsis since it has been so long since I saw the first, but I will say that it was very moving and gave a very realistic representation of what it must have been like to have the power of a queen but the heart of a woman. The difficult decisions that she had to make regarding her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, as well as the Earl of Essex and King James of Scotland were very well-written and displayed the complexity of emotions that she must have faced. Once I see both parts of the series together I will give a better description. I enjoyed both immensely.

Litany, I'm out of peanuts. Will pretzels do?

I can't prove your signature unless I demonstrate the height of genius, in order to show that genius has a limit. I can prove that stupidity has a limit by saying that biology lists intelligence as an absolute value. On this point I have disproven your assertion upon the difference between stupidity and genius. There may be a limit to genius, and that was all that was left to prove, and if I have further proved your signature, it is only in part, by proving the statement genius has a limit. then you suggest that I have demonstrated the height of genius?

Brian: Do you listen to yourself when you talk?
Peter: I fade in and out.

I wouldn't expect someone who goes about touting a high IQ to understand the irony within the statement or its veritability. Keep working on it. You'll figure it out eventually.

Watched La vie en rose last night.

I've heard a lot of comments about the disjointed nature of the way in which the film tells the story of Edith Piaf, and I watched in expectation of finding it at least slightly annoying, but this really wasn't the case at all. It seemed entirely coherent to this viewer.

Very moving towards the climax, you really get a sense of what created the intensity behind Piaf's singing.

Marion Cotillard is superb in the role of Piaf. And the music, of course, is wonderful.

last seen... hmmm uh, burp!!!.... let me see if I can...burp... remember. I came back from college and..... burp.... sat down on the coach like Jabba the Hut, and put in the DVD.......but what movie was it?

...oh yuh, it was, er, Little Black Book, I was too lazy to reach any good movies, and I put it in and slithered back to the coach, exhausted from such effort.

...well, it turned out to be a chic flic...burp....and althoug....BELCH... it brought a smile to my face...buuuurp....and was definitely.....wheaze...burp.....cough....a good flick....barf.....!

...firstly.....puke...... it was....burp(excuse me).... pretty funny. And ........blauugghhhchooooooo!.... it was.... what was I sayin'?... oh it was a.....cough.....!

...secondly......burp........basicly the main thing about the.....BAARRFFF... movie is that these charming people.....achoooooooo(scuse me)....have a dog that.......

....well, looks like I'm barfing up the wrong tree.

And remember folks, it's not a film until Helgi's seen it!...barf!

Eastern Promises.

David Cronenberg - not unlike George Romero - has sculpted a career as a director out of body parts. His early work (actually, the vast majority of his work) is often labeled as horror; with stuff like The Brood, The Fly, Rabid and Shivers that's hardly surprising. But it's always been about feelings at heart; only showing up as bizarre appendages, zombie children, exploding heads... he's essentially done The Portrait of Dorian Gray over and over again: except what happens on the inside and should never be seen is shown on flesh.

Or, in Eastern Promises, in ink on flesh. A thriller set in the Russian mafia in London, part Godfather, part Lilja 4ever; Russian mobsters' CVs are written on their bodies, in tattoos telling who they are, what they've done - but also in blood, not just for killing but for family as well. Much like A History of Violence, Cronenberg seems to have gone mainstream but it's really just a way of telling a similar story with sharper tools. This is a violent movie; not just in the few minutes now and then when there's fighting to be done - quickly, brutally, realistically - but also in every situation, in every paranoid gaze, in the entire business of trafficking girls and drugs. And in the centre is Viggo Mortensen, possibly the best I've ever seen him; he doesn't give anything away, he keeps his mouth shut when the big boys insult him, he never lets on what side he's on; I'm not sure he knows himself anymore.

The bodies bear witness. Possibly false.

5/5.

Eastern Promises.

David Cronenberg - not unlike George Romero - has sculpted a career as a director out of body parts. His early work (actually, the vast majority of his work) is often labeled as horror; with stuff like The Brood, The Fly, Rabid and Shivers that's hardly surprising. But it's always been about feelings at heart; only showing up as bizarre appendages, zombie children, exploding heads... he's essentially done The Portrait of Dorian Gray over and over again: except what happens on the inside and should never be seen is shown on flesh.

Or, in Eastern Promises, in ink on flesh. A thriller set in the Russian mafia in London, part Godfather, part Lilja 4ever; Russian mobsters' CVs are written on their bodies, in tattoos telling who they are, what they've done - but also in blood, not just for killing but for family as well. Much like A History of Violence, Cronenberg seems to have gone mainstream but it's really just a way of telling a similar story with sharper tools. This is a violent movie; not just in the few minutes now and then when there's fighting to be done - quickly, brutally, realistically - but also in every situation, in every paranoid gaze, in the entire business of trafficking girls and drugs. And in the centre is Viggo Mortensen, possibly the best I've ever seen him; he doesn't give anything away, he keeps his mouth shut when the big boys insult him, he never lets on what side he's on; I'm not sure he knows himself anymore.

The bodies bear witness. Possibly false.

5/5.
Great movie. Cronenberg is my fave director. The fight scene in the steam room had me wincing and cringing. I'd put this as my #2 movie of the year behind No Country For Old Men.

Great movie. Cronenberg is my fave director. The fight scene in the steam room had me wincing and cringing. I'd put this as my #2 movie of the year behind No Country For Old Men.

yeah, from beer good's description, the movie definitely seems like #2 material.

Eastern Promises... A thriller set in the Russian mafia in London...

Much of it filmed in my locale. Indeed, my local shopping street was transformed for it and my other half's barber's was specifically used.

Haven't seen it yet, but the presence of Armin Mueller-Stahl is a substantial enticement.

The fight scene in the steam room had me wincing and cringing.

I know what you mean. As much as I love Cronenberg's earlier over-the-top stuff, his last 2-3 movies have somehow felt a lot more disturbing than when he used to have people shoving VHS tapes into their guts or giving birth to evil midgets; not unlike Lynch (but in a much more visceral, unstylized way) he's mastered the art of keeping the violence just under the horizon for most of the film - and then when we do get to see it, it's so far from your normal Hollywood bloodbath it's scary. That fight scene might be one of the most valid full-frontal nude scenes I've ever seen - the only thing Mortensen wears is ink and blood.

I watched Manufacturing Dissent yesterday. Interesting documentary; even if it didn't really say anything that hasn't been said many times before, it's interesting to note what happens when someone tries to use the same tactics on Michael Moore that he himself has made a career of using on other people. It's a bit amateurish and downright petty at times, but it's nice to see someone who basically agrees with Moore's politics still calling him on some of his bullshit. Give it 3/5.

Back