• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Skyline - There are no words to describe the lameness of this flick. I want my 94 minutes of life back.

Kill The Irishman. "Based on a true story" (aren't all movies that aren't remakes these days?) of Irish mobster Danny Green in 1970s Cleveland. So, yeah, it's a gritty, violent, working-class 1970s mob drama... and those are some pretty big shoes to fill. And it may have an absolutely brilliant cast (except for Val Kilmer, who narrates but is barely on screen), and the recreation of 1970s Cleveland is convincing enough, but you also soon remember why the most familiar titles on the writer/director's CV are Die Hard With A Vengeance and Armageddon; the story is flat, swallowing the myth of the Robin Hood-type gangster wholesale, doing absolutely nothing but tell one man's tale, and depending far too much on the viewer filling in the blanks based on what they've seen in other movies (especially Goodfellas). Also, if you're going to have a film about cars blowing up, you might want to get better CGI. That said, it's not really bad; if you want to see a bunch of solid actors pretend to be 70s gangsters for an hour and a half, you could do worse. But there's more depth and grit in one Sopranos episode than there is in this. :star3:-

Enter the Void, a loose adaptation of the Bardo Thodol* set in Tokyo's nightclub district. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before. Very ambitious filmmaking in my opinion.

*Tibetan Book of the Dead

Thor
Above average, but still not great. I liked Loki. A lot of people walked out of the theater before the credits were over so they missed the little scene at the end.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - One of my most favourite films. The film, based on a Tom Stoppard play of the same name, follows the misadventures and musings of the two minor characters from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Both Gary Oldman and Tim Roth are brilliant in the roles of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

This is a must see film. If you haven't had the pleasure of viewing this film yet...Watch it!

Jour de fête (dir. Jacques Tati) - My wife and I have been watching a few of Tati's films of late. Though this is one of his earlier films, and a little rough around the edges at times, it is still incredibly charming and funny. I really enjoyed Play Time also, highly relevant today with its themes of technology (often of a flawed nature) impinging on life, and also really funny too.

Black Death. It reminded me a lot of Sauna, which is a better film, but this was still pretty damn good.
This. I would give it :star3:, mostly for the atmosphere.

Thor ~ this was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Loved the Aasgard stuff. 3d sucked though. :star3:

I Saw the Devil ~ revenge as only the South Korean's know how to, bloody and grim. The guy from Oldboy plays a serial killer who kills the gf of a government agent. Fun, life affirming drama ensues. :star4:

The Blackout - was on iTunes for 99p rental so I checked it out on my Apple TV. Wish I hadn't. My wife wasn't too impressed either, with the film or me for picking it. Last time I hit jackpot with the cheap film rental with Pontypool, this time though, not the case. d'OH.

True Grit (2010) - I loved the 1969 John Wayne version of True Grit, and in saying as much, I found the remake as equally enjoyable. Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross was sublime.

I realised I'd never watched Wes Craven's The Serpent And The Rainbow and so I took care of that yesterday. Meh. It's an interesting spin on the zombie genre, taking the myth back to its Haitian roots, and isn't quite as overtly pseudoracist and sensationalist as it might have been (especially since it was actually shot in the midst of Baby Doc's abdication). But Bill Pullman is as dull as always in the lead, and even though they manage some really unsettling hallucination scenes throughout, the ending goes completely over the top in all the wrong ways. :star2:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
A good twist on the classic "teens in the woods" horror movie.
If you liked Shaun of the dead you will probably love this one.
A cult classic.
:star4:

Back