• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laugh Out Loud Funny

Books with inside jokes or familiar references in them. For example, I love William Goladman's The Princess Bride, and my boyfriend's a huge Stephen King fan. So when one of us finds a reference to the other authour we have to share it.

It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but it is enjoyable.

dele said:
William Goladman's The Princess Bride

Did that have a film made of it? If so, I watched (well, half-watched) it on the coach back from Games Day last weekend. Brilliant, just for this;

Character 1: "The gate is guarded by 60 men, but with his strength, your brains, and my steel, we can get in."

Character 2: "That is not going to get us past 60 men! (pause) Now if we had a wheelbarrow..."

Character 1: "Actually, what happened to that albino guy's wheelbarrow?"

Character 3: "I think it's still there"

Character 2: "Well why didn't you list a wheelbarrow among our assets in the first place?"

Just to correct my previous post... his name is William Goldman. And yup, that's the movie based on the book I love so much. :) William Goldman is quite a genius!

another series of books has been brought to mind reading this thread.
the exploits of James Herriot (of All Creatures Great and Small fame)

and is anyone else a fan of Ogden Nash's poetry?

"Naked" by David Sedaris is SCREAMINGLY funny. There was one chapter it took me two days to finish because I couldn't see the pages through my tears. As soon as I wiped my eyes, I was off again laughing myself blind. Plus, I had to keep quoting portions of the book to my husband (thank goodness I wasn't alone or I would have burst).

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
Green Grass Grace - Shawn McBride
Yoga for People Who Can't be Bothered to Do It - Geoff Dyer

All laugh-out-loud funny :)

The Princess Bride is a great book!! I read it in the library at Uni (ha! that got me some funny looks, reading a book with that title :D) - fantastically funny :)

Phil

When I really, really need a laugh, I pull out Bill Bryson's "Notes From a Small Island", there is one passage in particular about his tumble down a hill that nearly makes me wet my pants every time. Also, P. J. O'Rourke's "Holidays in Hell". Both are non-fiction.

namedujour said:
"Naked" by David Sedaris is SCREAMINGLY funny. There was one chapter it took me two days to finish because I couldn't see the pages through my tears. As soon as I wiped my eyes, I was off again laughing myself blind. Plus, I had to keep quoting portions of the book to my husband (thank goodness I wasn't alone or I would have burst).

Is it really that funny? Then, this book is a must-read for me! :rolleyes:
Can you tell me what this book is about?? No spoilers please :D

Talking about humour, I like Jerome K. Jerome "Three men.." series. Light humour, but really funny! I like Wodehouse too. Douglas Adams is my favourite. But, if I really want a good laugh, I just pull out a Calvin and Hobbes book. You will laugh every time you read it :)

sanyuja said:
Talking about humour, I like Jerome K. Jerome "Three men.." series. Light humour, but really funny! I like Wodehouse too. Douglas Adams is my favourite. But, if I really want a good laugh, I just pull out a Calvin and Hobbes book. You will laugh every time you read it :)

I totally agree with everything youve said here :)

mojo said:
I totally agree with everything youve said here :)
Glad you agree with me mojo :)
Talking about Calvin and Hobbes, which is your favourite calvin comic strip?
When I ask this question to myself, I just cant point at one strip and say "Thats my fav!". But, there are a few strips which I like more than the others.
I dont enjoy the 'babysitter' series that much. But I love all the strips where Susie is in the picture!! And the "inteliigent" conversations that Calvin has with his dad -- hilraious!!!! :D

sanyuja said:
Glad you agree with me mojo :)
Talking about Calvin and Hobbes, which is your favourite calvin comic strip?
When I ask this question to myself, I just cant point at one strip and say "Thats my fav!". But, there are a few strips which I like more than the others.
I dont enjoy the 'babysitter' series that much. But I love all the strips where Susie is in the picture!! And the "inteliigent" conversations that Calvin has with his dad -- hilraious!!!! :D

I love the relationship he has with his Dad too, especially the popularity polls. But my absolute favourite has to be the snow art ones, I never get tired of them and wish i'd had that kind of twisted imagination when i was a kid :p

A big thumbs up to the Kinky Friedman reference. He's just funny, whether writing detective stories, country song lyrics, or great articles (for Texas Monthly.)

He's also running for governor here. I'll definitely be voting for him.

Bliss!

Peter Carey's book 'Bliss' is a very funny book about a man who is convinced he is in Hell and thus considers he can get away with anything.

Back