• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laugh Out Loud Funny

Im finding Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse really funny. Kind of reminds me of the Barry Trotter books.

The Junkfood Companion was funny. I read a few years ago and it made me laugh. My boyfriend found it around the house and read it and he was laughing out loud.

Frederick and Fredericka by Mark Helprin.

British humor -- wordplay, mostly; with most of the funny lines being delivered by the guileless Frederick (who is the present prince of Wales in what must be another probability.

If you're wondering what a 'probability' is, go visit my "space-time" thread here.

(It's quite okay with me if you only wish to fart around while there.)

:D

A "greatest hits" book that featured columns of Dave Barry. That guy gets me rolling every time. I don't know what it is, but he just has a way of wording things that just gets you to split your sides.

From Balham to Bollywood by Chris England had me laughing out loud.
I'm going to cheat and post a review from amazon:

When the Bollywood legend Aamir Khan decided to make a film about a cricket match in India during the British Raj, a match in which the down-trodden Indians vanquish the English imperialists, he went to London to recruit British actors who could (at least in theory) play the game. Hence Chris England and colleagues are taken to the remote town of Bhuj in Gujerat, uncomfortably close to the border with Pakistan.
This book is an account of the shooting of the film ("Lagaan"), the trials and tribulations of being a bit-part actor and of surviving the ravages of provincial India (everything from the difficulty of getting news from home to being followed by crowds on a beach when trying to find a private place to find relief from diarrhoea). There is real poignancy at the end of the book, as Gujerat was hit by a massive earthquake shortly after filming ceased - essentially Chris England's description of the Bhuj is of a town that was destroyed.

Inevitably with such a book, you get more out of it if you have some knowledge of cricket, but "Lagaan" was such a world-wide hit (my Indian friends virtually demanded that I watch it) that this book might appeal despite that.

G Rodgers

Join Me by Danny Wallace. Every other page I was trying to read something out loud to my wife and laughing too hard to get through it.
Hitchhiker's Guide was funny stuff as well.

I was reading the new posts and one of them reminded me of this hilarious book 'Are you experienced?' by William Sutcliffe. I don't know if you will find it so funny as I did. CDA might.

i like reading alot but usually i dont laugh out loud at things even if they are funny, i just remember what was funny and mention it to my friends and laugh with them

Only two authors have been able to make me laugh with no one around:
Dave Barry
Douglas Adams

When i was reading dave barry in class i started laughing so hard, the teacher thought something was wrong with me and sent me too the nurse(lol)

the first book in the trilogy by douglas adams was unbelievably hilarious.
in that one part where the earth was destroyed but the guy couldnt fit it into his head and tried breaking the information into smaller pieces, i started laughing so hard i fell off my chair and hit my head on the wall in back of me so then i was crying, laughing and bleeding at the same time(what a sight!)

Women by Charles Bukowski, I've read this a couple of times, and it never ceases to make me laugh and cringe at the same time.

I'm so glad Vintagewhino has mentioned Charles Bukowski. I found 'Women' his worst book. Good, but nothing like as good as Post Office, Factotum and most of his others.

Sue Townsend, all of hers, except Ghost Children. Her one serious book.:(
'Re-Building Coventry' is one of her funniest.

David Nobbs. (Reggie Perin fame) All of his, brilliantly funny.

Douglas Adams, Tom Sharpe, obviously.

I too found Angela's Ashes funny, sad and uplifting.

I can't read Terry Pratchett, Ben Elton or Stephen Fry. Odd isn't it, how some can and some can't.:confused:

Vintagewhino said:
Women by Charles Bukowski, I've read this a couple of times, and it never ceases to make me laugh and cringe at the same time.

I fiound that particular book to be pathetic only. Wait. Not just pathetic, but repugnant, meanspirited, offensive, ojectionable, and ugly.

Had Bukowski not been such a meanspirited man, it might have been made to be funny, I guess.

:rolleyes:

Pratchett vs. Wodehouse

It is funny how some authors are love it or hate it.

I love the discworld series but HATED PG Wodehouse.

Christopher Moore tickles me to death! I've read the first 5 books he's written and look forward to reading the rest.
Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods was very funny. I'll definetly have to read Notes from a Small Island.
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a favorite of mine, I've read it a couple of times. The main character, Ignatius J. Reilly, is very very funny! Today I started reading Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox and it's like Ignatius with fangs fighting it out with Blackula, simply hysterical!
I've read a couple of books by Kinky Friedman and he's a hoot! I hope to read all of his books within the next year.

It's hard to find a book that makes me laugh a lot. ANything written by Bill Bryson does the trick though. He's so sarcastic.

the two book/series that made me laugh out loud the most was. The Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner. I almost died from lack of oxygen when reading that one. And the Chicken Poop for the Soul is a book that will make laugh until you cry.

The books that made me laugh the most are CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC and SHOPAHOLIC TAKES MANHATTAN by Sophie Kinsella. I found them very funny and i loved the main character.

Back