• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Least read book

lies

A poll by a Dutch website revealed that --in the Netherlands at least-- Donna Tartt's The Little Friend is the book that most people leave unread (or unfinished) after they've bought it. (source)

Does anyone feel like nominating other books? ;)

I heard from a lot of people that they didn't finish 'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer. Most of them were German, though, so it might be just the translation.

I seem to recall a few posts about people abaondoning Gravity's Rainbow around here.

"Little, Big" by John Crowley. I heard so much about it, and was disappointed to find that it meandered and went nowhere in particular, and finally I found myself no longer wanting to pick it up. It just seemed uninteresting. As penance for abandoning ship, I picked up "Aegypt" by the same author and had the exact same experience.

One of the wonderful things about being a library patron is that you can take chances on books you're not sure you'll like - I'm glad I didn't spend anything other than my tax money on these!

ions said:
I seem to recall a few posts about people abaondoning Gravity's Rainbow around here.
Yeah, but Pynchon's novel isn't something everyone goes out and buy - Tartt's book, on the other hand, was all over the news a few years back, and everybody went and bought it.

I can't believe you guys haven't nominated the number one bestseller, yet most unread and misunderstood book inthe world..sad but true..............................The Bible.

Really, how many homes in the free world have at least one copy? Have you seen the polls about how many have actually read it? Its not God's fault either! The Bible has history, drama, poetry, and philosophy, but still is neglected my a huge portion of the world's literate population.

abecedarian said:
I can't believe you guys haven't nominated the number one bestseller, yet most unread and misunderstood book inthe world..sad but true..............................The Bible.
Great point, Abecedarian. I've heard that lots of people only read selected parts of the Bible, and that people rarely read the whole thing (and even more rarely read the whole thing start to finish).

abecedarian said:
It's not really my type of fiction ;) :p

Not mine, either. Too much gratuitous violence, improbable plot twists and suspension of disbelief required.
:)

Peder said:
Here's another who has read it, straight through.
All hope is not lost! :D
Peder

Somehow, I knew I could count on you Peder :)

Actually, I've been told that the Bible really isn't meant to be read straight through, like a novel. Most of us who try, wind up bogged down in Numbers or Leviticus. I've seen lots of "How to Read the Bible In a Year" charts, and they all have short readings from the Old and New Testament for each day. The specially designed One Year Bibles, all have three short segments: OT, NT, and Psalms & Proverbs..

I've read the Bible from start to finish several times now. At one time I read it through and did some basic research too - who the author of each book was, when it was written and the time period they covered. It made it slightly more interesting to read. Wouldn't mind having a go at the Koran but haven't yet plucked up the courage to do so. Also wondered how the Old Testament would compare alongside the Torah.

abecedarian said:
Somehow, I knew I could count on you Peder :)

Actually, I've been told that the Bible really isn't meant to be read straight through, like a novel. Most of us who try, wind up bogged down in Numbers or Leviticus. I've seen lots of "How to Read the Bible In a Year" charts, and they all have short readings from the Old and New Testament for each day. The specially designed One Year Bibles, all have three short segments: OT, NT, and Psalms & Proverbs..

ROTFALOL, abecedarian,
Yes you are absolutely right! It is definitely true that the most meaningful messages and stories occur in isolated sections and can be spaced out and read separately from each other, ignoring the mind-numbing parts.:rolleyes: But OTOH it was a little like Mt. Everest; it is there, so people climb it. I read it simply to have read it once. Parts of it were certainly slow going, but now they are done and I too can relax and read only my favorite parts when I choose to.
And there is some good reading in the Bible, but I won't get started on that!

So, if you want any long slow books read, I'm your man! :D
Have a nce day,
Peder

Back