• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Legolas over-rated?

You're not intruding. You need people if you want a discussion going.

I must say, it's refreshing to hear people say they aren't swooning over Legolas. I belonged to a LotR forum a long time ago, and it just turned into preteen trash when the movies came out.

Well, I have to admit that I was exceptionally pleased with Legolas. He was my favourite character in the books and he was the one I was most concerned about in the movies. I just didn't know how they would portray him and the rest of the elves for that matter and I didn't want my own images ruined. I wasn't disappointed.

Yes, I thought Legolas fitted my image of him from the books very well. And I fancy both Legolas and Aragorn from the films - they couldn't be more different really, so I don't know how I manage that! :confused:

I was a bit dissapionted at the end of return of the king ... I loved Aragorn especially in the first movie - but at the end of the third he somehow wasnt the great king we were promissed... if you know what i mean ...form the way it was written in the book I expected something more

I thought Legolas was portrayed fairly accurately though he has never been one of my favourite characters. I much prefer dark hair ;)

:D

Meaning she spends the whole time making gooey faces everytime Aragorn comes on :rolleyes:

Legolas was beefed-up far beyond the character in the book, but then it was rather necessary as Tolkien seems to have written him as token Elf just like Gimli was token Dwarf. At least in the film they were given something to do :)

Phil

I wasn't really saying that they souped Legolas up to much, I think they impored him as a hot guy instead of a strategic, awesome assassin

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I wasn't really saying that they souped Legolas up to much, I think they impored him as a hot guy instead of a strategic, awesome assassin

You must admit, he got to do all the cool stuff in the movie. No question that he was a badass with a bow.

He just tries to beat gimli at everthing in the movie, but in the book he is more modest. in the movie he shows off to much.

Am I alone in thinking that Gandalf is a lousy wizard??

All that alleged power and all he really does is shine a few lights at things and let off a few fireworks.

gallagher672003 said:
Am I alone in thinking that Gandalf is a lousy wizard??

All that alleged power and all he really does is shine a few lights at things and let off a few fireworks.

Yes!! I've thought that for a while, but I just never dared say it. There's probably a lot of history which shows exactly why he isn't a lousy wizard, but certainly on watching the film I tended to think "You're a wizard! Just do something wizardly and smite the bad guys!"

Yes!! I've thought that for a while, but I just never dared say it. There's probably a lot of history which shows exactly why he isn't a lousy wizard, but certainly on watching the film I tended to think "You're a wizard! Just do something wizardly and smite the bad guys!"
There's something fundamentally wrong with that statement, and I'll get back to you as soon as I figure out what exactly it is.

On the Pirates-sequel - Depp based his Cap'n Jack Sparrow on the Stones-guitarist Keith Richards. So, guess who's turning up in the sequel to play Depp's (Sparrow's) father?

Yup.

I loved Pirates, by the way. I own it on DVD, and I'll be in line as soon as the sequel's released.

Cheers

Martin said:
There's something fundamentally wrong with that statement, and I'll get back to you as soon as I figure out what exactly it is.

It probably has no logic at all, it's just my gut feeling! I found Gandalf's powers rather disappointing.

I loved Pirates, by the way. I own it on DVD, and I'll be in line as soon as the sequel's released.

I got Pirates for Xmas and watched it on Friday. I was seriously disappointed, which surprised me as I thought I would love it. Great effects, some good humour, but it was far too long, had interminable almost-identical fight scenes and lots of indistinct dialogue (unless I'm going deaf). I was waiting for it to finish for the last 45 mins. :(
Depp's performance was amusing though.

That's it - you're mad!

Kidding.

Each to his own, right. At least you acknowledged the greatness of Depp.

Back to topic: Legolas overrated - maybe; Bloom overrated - definitely.

Cheers

About teh Gandalf thing, I thing its not that hes a cruddy wizard, its the fact the wizards never did much magical stuff at all in the books, opposed to the usual Over-Powered guys you see it fiction

gallagher672003 said:
Gandalf is a lousy wizard...All that alleged power and all he really does is shine a few lights at things and let off a few fireworks.
The book explains this. Gandalf is subject to weariness and other afflictions, he sometimes can not use his powers if discretion is required but he was not a lousy wizard.
He is able to fight a fire spirit- the balrog, fall down an abyss and survive, chase the balrog up the mountain, throw him off the mountaintop, die, return to life; later he breaks the spell over Theoden, and takes away Saruman's powers.
Seems very powerful to me.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I really beleive Legolas is over rated. I think his popularity comes from his looks in the movie alone. The only Legolas parts I even liked where the Gimli-Legolas competitions.

I tried reading the books - was one chapter away from finishing The Fellowship of the Ring before getting absolutely bored with all the crap. Tom bloody Bombadil? :confused:

Anyway, the only thing I have to go on is the story set out by the films. Within them I thought that the roles of Legolas and Gimli could have been cut from the story completely - they did nothing to further the plot throughout all three films.

The only reason I can see their inclusion was, at times, for comedic moments and the love thy neighbour theme which, rather than be subtle, they just shouted out at the end.

Na, crap. Bin him.

I think that in the books both Legolas and Gimli contributed to the plot a great deal more than in the movies. In the movies the only real thing that contributed was CGI. Though I watch them frequently I have seen better acting in other films that didn't sweep the Academy Awards. I appreciate Jackson's work but its hard to beat a good book.

Back