• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

less than fantasy/sci fi books?

byelush

I realize the title is very confusing but I wasn't sure what else to put! Anyway, i'm interested in reading some fantasy/sci fi books but I want to start out with some that are less fantasy and sci fi than the rest, you know? What are some books that could be considered fantasy/sci fi but are really really believable, etc, etc? Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Defintely not confusing at all. Luckily I just finished a list that rounds at moy former 101 list of recomendations that has many such titles on it, like novels that woudl fall into the more literal fantasy or be a part of Slipstream of magic realism categories.

My new list of 99 novels (all with synopsis) can be found at my new Blog. I'm calling the list My Back 99

If interested my prior 101 is lcoated Here whcih also cites soem examples.

Just off the topc of my head you shoud try witers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Charles De lint, Grahme Joyce, Jeff VanderMeer, Jeffrey Ford, all top notch writers, and among the elite in the genre.

Hi byelush... if you like a little love story to go with your fantasy/scifi, then pick up Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife. It's more love story than scifi, so it's believable. And so is time travel. Really. :D

ds

I actually bought the book about three days ago after hearing some really good things, and now i'm looking forward to starting it even more, thanks :)

I've posted about this before, but Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series is one of my favorites. It is ostensibly a childrens series, but can be enjoyed by all, I think.

Another one is The Little Country by Charles de Lint, which is set in the UK and involves a murder mystery with some fantasy elements that are rooted in celtic legend. Although it is a series, this first book stands alone. I read only this one, and although I'm usually one to read an entire series, I was content. I'm sure I'll read the rest soon, though.

Here's something completely different by a solid sf writer, Lewis Shiner: Glimpses but you're only gonna like it if you're into rock and roll music. A relationship story about a guy who manages to "channel" unfinished music from Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, and Jimi Hendrix. This book deals with legends about these muscians. Ironically, Wilson has actually succeeded in bringing "Smile" to CD since the publication of the book, but that shouldn't blunt the impact of the story.

Bruce Sterling's Dsitractions isn't space opera or elves: "A disenfranchised U.S. Air Force base has turned to highway robbery in order to pay the bills. Vast chunks of the population live nomadic lives fueled by cheap transportation and even cheaper computer power. Warfare has shifted from the battlefield to the global networks, and China holds the information edge over all comers. Global warming is raising sea level, which in turn is drowning coastal cities. And the U.S. government has become nearly meaningless." A vison of the future.

More conventional yet with the authority of hard science background: Airframe by Michael Crichton. A lot of his books fall into that soft area I think you describe, believable because of his authoritative grasp of the science behind the story: The Andromeda Strain is another one along those lines.

I have a recomendation for you :)

Moonheart by Charles De Lint.
aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0312890044.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Synopsis When Sara and Jamie discovered the seemingly ordinary artifacts, they sensed the pull of a dim and distant place. A world of mists and forests, of ancient magics, mythical beings, ageless bards, and restless evil. Now, with their friends and enemies alike--Blue, the Biker; Keiran, the folk musician; the Inspector from the RMCP; and the mysterious Tom Hengyr--Sara and Jamie are drawn into this enchanted land through the portals of Tamson House, that sprawling downtown edifice that straddles two worlds.

Sweeping from ancient Wales to the streets of Ottawa today, Moonheart will entrance you with its tale of this world and the other one at the very edge of sight ... and of the unforgettable people caught up in the affairs of both. A tale of music, and motorcycles, and fey folk beyond the shadows of the moon. A tale of true magic, the tale of Moonheart

That story is set in Moden day Canada. I think it's a great book and a good way to ease you into fantasy since a lot of it takes place in our world that we know so well. You would be abe to relate to the characters as they slide into the fantasy...

Ooo, I'll have to check that one out, Wabbit! If you liked that, see how you find some of his other books, such as 'The Little Country', which I mentioned earlier. I think he's a great example of what byelush is looking for!

I really like De lint, he is one of my faves. I have read quite a number of his books and plan on reading a lot more over my reading life time :)

I've had several people recommend de Lint. My impression is that he's kind of urban fantasy and that there is some Native American type mythos mixed in. Am I in the right ballpark or way off?

Not a big fan of the term 'urban fantasy', but I guess that's what it is (we had a discussion about the different 'genres' within the fantasy genre a little while ago - there's a lot!). I've only read the one book, but it was set in modern-day England and featured fantasy elements from celtic lore and mythology. I think he uses different mythology depending upon where the books are set.

pwilson said:
I've had several people recommend de Lint. My impression is that he's kind of urban fantasy and that there is some Native American type mythos mixed in. Am I in the right ballpark or way off?

From the books that I have read, he does seem to have a fondness for both Celtic and American Indian myth and one of the other seem to appear in quite a lot of his books. In "MoonHeart" he mixes the too. I don't really like labels either, but yes, you could say he writes "urban fantasy" :) I really like him, and do urge anybody to give him a try!

You're right, I don't like to lump anyone into a certain category, just trying to get a general idea, you know? Thanks for the info and I'll definitely keep an eye out for some of his books.

You're welcome for the info! :)

I know what you mean! Categories are useful to know broadly what you are dealing with! If you check him out, please let us know what you think about it!

pwilson said:
You're right, I don't like to lump anyone into a certain category, just trying to get a general idea, you know?
I think it is certainly deserving of a separate genre title. But somehow 'urban' just conjures up cities... Not that I think 'rural fantasy' is a better idea, mind you! I think 'modern world fantasy' would be better. But that's just my two cents, after all.

Here's that thread I mentioned earlier containing the different types of fantasy genres that were mentioned by Ainulindale:
http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=5302&page=3&highlight=fantasy+urban

Wabbit said:
You're welcome for the info! :)

I know what you mean! Categories are useful to know broadly what you are dealing with! If you check him out, please let us know what you think about it!

Will do! I'll add him to the pile and let you know (although it's kind of a big pile!) :)

Kookamoor said:
I think it is certainly deserving of a separate genre title. But somehow 'urban' just conjures up cities... Not that I think 'rural fantasy' is a better idea, mind you! I think 'modern world fantasy' would be better. But that's just my two cents, after all.

Here's that thread I mentioned earlier containing the different types of fantasy genres that were mentioned by Ainulindale:
http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=5302&page=3&highlight=fantasy+urban

You're right Kookamoor, I definitely have grimy cities and one eyed bandits in mind when I hear the term "urban". I think "modern world fantasy" definitely gets the point across much more clearly. And to be honest, your description appeals to me quite a bit more!

I appreciate the link too. Wow! I had no idea there were that many genres out there! Steam punk?! I'm kind of scared! :D Between that list by Ainulindale and his two giant lists of the best of fantasy, I'd say he's one busy, well-informed fella!

pwilson said:
Steam punk?! I'm kind of scared! :D Between that list by Ainulindale and his two giant lists of the best of fantasy, I'd say he's one busy, well-informed fella!

Ha ha! That was my reaction to 'steam punk' too!! Yeah, it's quite the resource, eh? I think I have to read one of each sub-genre so that I can bring this up in a conversation sometime... :D

Back