• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Let's meet up (online)

direstraits

Okay, that does it! I'm sick of not being able to participate in chats! It's not my fault I stay in a place two days ahead of all of you!

I'm really thinking of meeting up with you guys (the two of you who are interested, anyway) online at the same time so that we can chat. I've been thinking about it for a while, and was wondering if you guys would be interested.

There are a couple of ways I've been thinking of:
1. IRC - this seems to be the easiest. Everyone who wants to participant downloads an IRC client, goes to a designated IRC network and join the channel that I will set up.
2. Yahoo! Chat - everyone who participants will have to have Yahoo Messenger, though.
3. Skypecast - this is more towards what I'm thinking about, where we all can gather and actually talk. There may be the issue of slang and accents to wade through, but then we'll know how you sound like. This however, requires participants to use Skype, and will only work if you have a reasonable broadband connection.

At the very least we'll have something we can type with, so if the audio fails, we can still see what's happening.

We'll set up the date and time after we know what we're going to use.

Wanna give this a try?

ds

I up for it, but prefer yahoo chat. Weekends are usually not the best time for me to have access to the computer, so I prefer weekdays..

Chat is fun to do. Perhaps a wednesday or thursday night. Of course, with members all across the globe, who will be on at a given time would be interesting. On weekends, I might be able to stay up at midnight to talk to some of you.:D

Okay, next Friday it is then. I'll set the time later, but it's most likely Friday night for most of you, and Sat early morning for me. ABC, that okay for you?

Lady Cordelia, for Skype, you'll have to click on the link Stewart gave you, and download the software, install it, and set up your ID. If we do use Skypecast, instructions will follow.

ds

Direstraits,
It is for all, of course. And it would't be fun without you.
DS you charmer you :D .
I've downloaded the software, will go pick up a headset tomorrow.

I'm in for the YAHOO! Chat. If you want my yahoo ID, PM me and I'll give it to you. I'm always logged in.

What? When? Where? Who? How?

Do I just go to Radioshack and tell them I need a Skypecast headset and then come back and plug it into an ASB port? :confused: Oh, and first click on Stewart's link and do what it says?And then see when you say to do it? :)

StillILearn said:

Do I just go to Radioshack and tell them I need a Skypecast headset and then come back and plug it into an ASB port? :confused: Oh, and first click on Stewart's link and do what it says?And then see when you say to do it? :)

Can you change the color on that?

StillILearn said:
You have to hold it over a candle flame.

You know, I found out several years later that two of my daughters nearly set our van on fire trying out this old trick their dad taught them. Yes sir, home education at its finest:rolleyes:

StillILearn said:
You have to hold it over a candle flame.
LOL! An image that will stay in my head for the next few days.

Hmm... this meeting is shaping up to be a hybrid of Yahoo Chat and Skypecast. Cool. I will own up to something now, before someone kicks my ass - I've not used Skypecast before. Lemme play with it a bit to see how it works, but if it works the way it says on the can, then it shouldn't be too difficult.

Still, about Skype. If you are still using your dialup, Skype may not give you the best experience. Even I have to do a rain dance before I use Skype with my broadband connection to ensure I get a good line quality. Get Yahoo instead, we'll meet up in Yahoo Chat at the designated time.

However, if you've already upgraded to broadband, then you have a couple of choices for using Skype. If you already have a pair of speakers, then all you really need is a microphone. This is the setup I will be using myself (although you have to be sure Skype works with the mic - I bought a 2 buck microphone for my bro who wanted to fool around with Skype, and found that while it worked nicely for recording purposes, it didn't work with Skype. The tech guy in me went bonkers at this illogical scenario, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work).

However, having a headset with an attached mic is the best way to talk in Skype. Again, check to ensure they support Skype. They shouldn't be too expensive.

And Still, the headset/mic setup may not be plugged into a USB port. Instead, it goes to your Line In jack on your computer - the same way you could plug a pair of headphones to your nano (but your nano headset would have a smaller plug and your nano a smaller jack - arrrrgh! Too much info!)

ds

I'm not sure where I'll be Friday evening. My daughter has a dance recital Friday and Saturday nights. I'm not sure which one we will attend, but since I'm one of the designated drivers..chances are good I won't be near a computer either night, but I'll try to pop in if I can.

StillILearn said:

Yep, I did exactly that SIL (apart form the ASB thing) and it seems to be working fine. BUt I just did a test recording and I had no idea I sounded so strange :eek: , I genuinely feel sorry for my family and friends - they have to listen to me all the time :D

DS, I'll pm you my username or whatever it is and we can test the skype out - i'm curious to see how good it'll work. Although for the online meet it sounds like we'll be using yahoo.

Within a few years we'll all be able to see each other. Mark my words. This is from a woman who remembers before people had computers.

This was way back in the last century.

Oh, sounds like fun - my accent means that what I say may require a bit of interpretation, though! So have we decided on whether it's going to be Yahoo or Skpyecast?

StillILearn said:
Within a few years we'll all be able to see each other. Mark my words. This is from a woman who remembers before people had computers.

This was way back in the last century.
I guess you haven't had much contact with webcams SIL ;) :p

Monkeycatcher said:
Oh, sounds like fun - my accent means that what I say may require a bit of interpretation, though! So have we decided on whether it's going to be Yahoo or Skpyecast?

We're all gonna need some interpretation :D .
Not sure yet whether it'll be Skype - more likely to be yahoo I think - I guess our host DS will see whose available for what :)

Back