• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Libraries

I went to a library conference last week, with lots of interesting discussions on if and how the role of libraries might change over the next few years. I thought this lecture by Prof. R. David Lankes from Syracuse University was too good to not share with others - gets right back to the question of why we have (and need) libraries in the first place, and how that's a far more useful starting point than getting bogged down in paper vs digital. Plus, Lankes is a very good speaker.

Grand Challenges of Librarianship. R David Lankes on Vimeo

Great video. Particularly liked the part about library mission statements @ 26 mins approx : "Libraries can't do crap, they're buildings; what they do is exert gravity and fall apart."

When I was a kid/teen I used to use the library all the time. I'd go down and checkout ten Goosebumps books at a time then i'd be back down there swapping them for another ten within the hour, the librarians said they'd never seen anyone read that many in an hour before (thats including the time taken to walk to and from the library so it was about 45mins id say). I used to try and beat my record lol.

I havent been to a library in years, partly because I spent some time moving around alot and partly because I always forget to get them back in on time.

I buy all my books when I want new ones, I found the best place to get new books is from charity shops, ok, so they're second hand but they're nice and cheap which is brilliant especially for people who don't have a lot of spare cash for books. Whenever I walk past a charity shop and i have money i'll go in and see what books they have. I used to go home with ten or more books some days!

Another place I got alot of books is the hospital where I used to live, they have a table there with donated books on and you make a small donation into their cancer research box thing and you can have a book. There's no minimum donation, I've put in as little as 10 or 20 pence per book at times when i dont have much money on me. Sometimes sadly less :( (5p or less), but i always make up for it by putting in a £ or 2 when I have it so I think that makes me and the cancer box just about even :D

i used to go to the library, but then I started enjoying collecting books too much. It just looks really cool to have a legit book shelf in your house

what's good about my nook is I can look for and download books on it,and I can have it on there for 2 weeks,until it expires on my nook.

Back