• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Life's Final Chapter

Motokid

When you die, what would you like to be done with your body?

Here in America people, for some reason, usually have themselves embalmed, put in a very fancy (read expensive) coffin, and then buried in the ground. They also like to have headstones marking the grave so that relatives can come visit, and pray, or whatever. Sometimes these costs add up to well over $10,000 for coffin, burial plot, headstone and memorial service.
The other, and less typical thing is to be cremated. Then the ashes can either be buried, or scattered somewhere specific, or stored in an expensive urn in some relatives house.
Or there's donating to medical research.

I’ve heard that in some countries there’s just not enough land to bury people unless they are extremely wealthy or famous.

What’s the tradition in your area/country, and what would you like to have done?

And on a greater scheme, what would be the ultimate send off if you could choose something? Burial at sea? Shot into space? Private rocket ship trip into the center of the sun? Cryogenically preserved? Burlap bag and buried under a tall tree? Buried in your car?

I plan on cremation, after any usable organs are donated, with my ashes scattered into the ocean someplace warm like off the coast of South Carolina. A place where I grew up vacationing with my family, and where we vacation now.

But man, that traditional “Viking Burial” at sea with the wooden ship set ablaze and pushed out into the water would be calling it quits with real style.

I'd like to be cremated and my ashes taken to a favourite beach on the Big Island of Hawaii where my family would scatter them into the pounding surf at sunset.

Well, at first I wanted my remains (cremated I suppose) to be shot into space, but then I thought, why litter the universe with such morbid junk? Not to mention the risk of future space ships getting a hole punched in it by my sarcophagus. I really don't know what I want. This is an interesting thread-I'm reading "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach, and boy, is it eye-opening. I might just donate my carcassto science.

I'm not into the whole burial thing either. I want to be cremated and put in a cardboard box (since it is recyclable and biodregradable and all). Then, my family can spread me somewhere or bury me under a tree. Whatever makes them happy. I've told them that anyone who choses to keep me on their mantle will be haunted!

I'd like to be cremated too. After that... They can flush me down the toilet for all I care. Just as long as I don't make it unto a mantlepiece, a graveyard or someplace where they can still actually visit me.

Then again, if my family would really like a place they can visit, I guess they can bury me, but luckily I don't think that'll be the case. My grandfather wanted to be cremated too and he was (sat in one of those boxes in the cemetary for five years and was then "released into the wild"), so I don't think my case would be any different.

i am the same as you guys. take what is still good and of use to someone, cremate the rest. and the ashes could be hoovered up as that is what i seem to do with 90% of my time now, it just seems fitting.
the whole idea of preserving your remains seems awful to me as it is preying on the grief and perhaps guilt of your surviving relatives." maybe i wasn't a good daughter or nephew ifi don't buy the expensive box". it's ludicrous.

jenngorham said:
and the ashes could be hoovered up as that is what i seem to do with 90% of my time now, it just seems fitting.
That cracks me up! :D . . . but jenn, where does the full vacuum bag go?

I like the idea of my ashes going somewhere like Hawaii - It would force my family to go on a vacation as a last memory. :)

I want to be worshipped as a goddess and saint and have my relics carried around by a cult. They will be kept in a special golden box with jewels and carving on the outside and a secret way to open it. I want the worshippers to include a lock of my hair, my special opal Bulgari ring, a few delicate fingerbones, and some dessicated odds and ends.

The extra bits can be freeze-dried, like Tasters Choice, and auctioned off on e-bay, which will get the religion off on a sound financial footing.

The cult will be called God-Doll Belief System (g-d BS). Not being allowed to go to McDonald's will be part of their discipline, as will taking a good multivitamin and voting in every election. Also, obviously they would have to believe in me. They will say stuff like 'Novella is the One True One True One True One who is True and One with Truth" Like that. But, cult members are also allowed to worship other gods, including television celebrites, people with more money, and traditional guy-in-the-sky types of gods. But I want my own section, not included in some pantheon of semi-powerful competitors. That would suck.

Also, if you want to pray to me, my areas of expertise vis a vis divine intervention will be: preventing complex sauces from separating, materialistic wishes (like 'god I would like to have a new bicycle', Lotto, etc.), and saving seats in heaven and various other pleasant places.

They will qualify for tax-exempt status because it is a nice religion. Their motto will be "So Fine, So Benign, We Walk the Line, We Know the Sign."

All the bad things I have done will be forgotten completely and all the good things I have done will be permanently exaggerated. These will be written down as a book by someone who knows how to spell, and the book will be called Great Things About Novella: A Worshipper's Manual.

There will be an annual ritual in a nice, open setting, during which my greatest works and assorted stories and jokes and poems will be read, accompanied by the latest innovative instrumental music. Dancing will be encouraged. Light and tasty snacks will be provided. Fried dough and games of chance, plus a contest for best hairstyle. Dogs will be allowed.

If you want to join, you can sign up early, before I die. Those who get in on the ground floor will probably get to be in charge.

There are a lot of great ways to go. I would want mine to be a celebration. I would want a black gospel funeral with a little less wailing and crying. I want an instrumental version of "I'll Fly Away" with lots of organ and bass; you can hear a pretty good version on the album The Word by The Word. I want people swaying, singing, saying, "He's at peace, and I'm going to try it one day myself."

I don't want people to be sad. Death is natural. I miss people, but I think death will be blissful sleep.

I think I want to be cremated, and my ashes spread over a hippie music festival because that's a happy place. :D I also want a gravemarker because I want there to be a record of me in stone, so when we revert to ths stone age after nuclear war, people will know I was here. :D

RitalinKid said:
There are a lot of great ways to go. I would want mine to be a celebration. I would want a black gospel funeral with a little less wailing and crying. I want an instrumental version of "I'll Fly Away" with lots of organ and bass; you can hear a pretty good version on the album The Word by The Word. I want people swaying, singing, saying, "He's at peace, and I'm going to try it one day myself."

I don't want people to be sad. Death is natural. I miss people, but I think death will be blissful sleep.

I think I want to be cremated, and my ashes spread over a hippie music festival because that's a happy place. :D I also want a gravemarker because I want there to be a record of me in stone, so when we revert to ths stone age after nuclear war, people will know I was here. :D

Do you get to write your own epitaph? And what would that be?

novella said:
Do you get to write your own epitaph? And what would that be?
Maybe "Good luck with the giant mutant rabbits." :D

Or maybe "Sometimes the answers that make the most sense are the hardest to accept." Maybe I should just do everybody a favor and go without one.

Ell said:
That cracks me up! :D . . . but jenn, where does the full vacuum bag go?

. :)

into the compost with the millions of pounds of vegetable peels and coffee grounds from all the soups and stews i've made and coffee i've had while chatting with the ladies. and then i could be recycled back as a plum tomato or japanese eggplant in the hopes of ending up in someones marinara or grilled veggie skewer. :D

jenngorham said:
into the compost with the millions of pounds of vegetable peels and coffee grounds from all the soups and stews i've made and coffee i've had while chatting with the ladies. and then i could be recycled back as a plum tomato or japanese eggplant in the hopes of ending up in someones marinara or grilled veggie skewer. :D

That's not so farfetched: http://www.promessa.se/index_en.asp

jenngorham said:
and then i could be recycled back as a plum tomato or japanese eggplant in the hopes of ending up in someones marinara or grilled veggie skewer. :D
Now, THAT I like. Recycled back into something useful and delicious like strawberries!

Novella, as much as your goddess/cult thing is intriguing, I'm just not much of a religiony, cult kind of gal so you won't find me worshipping at your shrine. Though chances are, I'll be long gone before you are and already floating midst the humpbacks of Maui.

As for a send-off song, I'd like Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon. Why? Just because I like it. :)

And she said honey take me dancing
But they ended up by sleeping
In a doorway
By the bodegas and the lights on
Upper broadway
Wearing diamonds on the soles of their shoes

i love paul simon. i got to see his concert in the park tour in old orchard beach maine. it was an outdoor performance and he had all the percussionists from the graceland album. wild.

my send off song would be two step by dave matthews.....
"Celebrate we will
Because life is short but sweet for
certain
We're climbing two by two
To be sure these days continue
These things we cannot change

Hey , my love, you came to me like
wine comes to this mouth
Grown tired of water all the time
You quench my heart and you
quench my mind"

it's got a catchy tune too.

novella said:
I want to be worshipped as a goddess and saint and have my relics carried around by a cult...

That funny, novella!

It's a good question, Motokid. It doesn't matter much to me. I'm sure that what is done with my body once I'm gone will be more important to those left behind.

But what are YOUR wishes Robert? That's the question. If you could care less that's fine, but if you could orchestrate the whole thing what would make you happy if you could somehow witness your final moments on earth?

Back