• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lovely and abandoned words

Poppy1 said:
You should see the strange looks we get when we say al-you-min-e-um in front of Americans (we spell it aluminium):D
Now I'm gonna go around saying al-you-min-e-um. It sounds so much better than al-u-min-um-in-num-in-num-in-num. :D:D:D:D:D

Vespertilio91 said:
Now I'm gonna go around saying al-you-min-e-um. It sounds so much better than al-u-min-um-in-num-in-num-in-num. :D:D:D:D:D

lol Vesper. My sons say it the American way along with words like duel. We say it jewel, they laugh at me and say no it's dool. I blame it on TV:D

lol Still. Jewelery is said just like that- joolery. But you say tom-eh-toe, we say tom-ah-toe, lets call the whole thing off:D (I'd put little crochets and semi-quavers there if they had them on the key-board)

Poppy1 said:
I thought he was being Capt Underpants :D Is is winter over in KL, ds?
Ah, a short leave of absence and I miss all the praises! Yay!

I was a batnana before, so I figured I'd become a superbanana, after a spell of being a geishanana.

No, poppy, it's not winter, unfortunately. It's bloody hot these days, and if the aircon isn't working around in the office, everybody's bloody cranky. :)

Hehe... we still try to pronounce either as 'ai-ther'. However, the only part that tears me in two is the word 'router'. In the IT business, the router is 'raow-ter' instead of 'roo-ter'. I've always thought 'raow-ter' is the American way of pronouncing it. But nobody, neither american nor english colleagues I've worked with ever pronounced 'roo-ter'.

ds

Reminds me of an old skit on the British comedy series Not The Nine O'Clock News, where the cast were singing a parody of a country song with the worst American accents you'd ever hear.

- I believe that lever [leever] is pronounced "levver"
- And the best film ever made is Saturday Night Fevver!

i use the word "aye" sometimes instead of yes (of course, it depends on who I am speaking to.) Every once in a while, much to my boyfriend's displeasure, I will say "ayuh".

also, i have several female pets and sometimes when i talk to them i call them "lassie" in an irish accent.
my cat-"Is that dinner I smell?"
me-"Aye, 'tis lassie!"

what? your cat doesn't talk to you? ;)

I thought only my cats spoke! I can't understand them because Tiberius speaks Latin, Sacha speaks Russian, and Toulouse speaks French. :p

Another good word is "fastidious". I've been called fastiodoso all while growing up but have never heard it used in English.

Collywobbles????!!! :eek:

What the hell does that mean? I love it :D Just as soon as I know what it means I shall throw it into conversation with reckless abandon!

It means having a tummyache :D
I found it one day in an old dictionary and have used it whenever possible ever since!:)

Back