• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Medieval Fantasy?

chaser226 said:
Well after all the recommendations I got in the other thread, I've decided to buy Legend along with (a choice of my own) Eragon. =P Thanks to all those who helped me choose the books and I kept a record of them all for future reads.

Now I want to know if LOTR is still worth reading if I saw all 3 movies already? I mean, shouldn't the books have more story?
I would say yes, but that's because I actually enjoyed LOTR. I think, if you read them now, you'll understand a bit more about the movies, especially the ending, which in my opinion was done quite poorly in the movie.

chaser226 said:
I've decided to buy Legend along with (a choice of my own) Eragon. =P

LMK what you think of Eragon. I read it about a month ago and though geared toward teens, enjoyed it enough to buy the next part of the trilogy when it comes out.

RaVeN

Mile-O-Phile said:
Give or take 300 years. :D

You're the expert. I was just going by the few pages I looked through.

I wonder why she felt the need to change that if it didn't even pertain to the story?

RaVeN

I have doomsday by connie willis, it was ok. I think connie willis gets too much credit for her books each year because of her relationship with the organizations that vote. Its bs, but oh well

shane

I read the passage by her and hated it! If anybody can PLEASE explaine what the HELL the ending is about then will be very happy bunny :D

It's hardly fantasy, but it's certainly medieval, and it's a darn good story to boot-the book to which I refer is, of course, Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. A classic yarn of gallant knights and dastardly would-be usurpers, it's definitely worth reading, though be warned-Scott can veer towards the verbose at times.

LotR is (in my humble opinion) a superb book, a sublime tale in a wonderfully-crafted world whose mythology surpasses any other. On that subject, read Tolkien's The Silmarillion as well, a truly epic tale that makes LotR look like a walk in the park! Such is Tolkien's imagination and mastery of fantasy, he has even shaped a creation myth utterly unlike any other, to give this book the impression of a true chronicle.

Doomsday Book

I know I'm new to this forum so I hope no one will be irritated by this but Willis' book is called that because the original Doomsday book took accounts of everyone that resided within villages etc. So when the plague hit thats how they new what the big changes were. Personally I enjoyed the book but no I wouldn't call it fantasy. It's science fiction.

But if you're up for something a little later (like the English Renaissance) I just finished Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove and that it was quite good.

Kerowyn said:
I know I'm new to this forum so I hope no one will be irritated by this...
How dare you? Damn it but this makes me thoroughly irritated. Coming in here and talking about books as though it's some sort of book forum. What next? Motorcycling monkeys in bright blue leotards? :mad:

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.

Not at all. Just pop them in your Cookie Dispensor - Really Oatie Munchies (or CD-ROM) drive and email them to me. My address is in my profile. A Delicious, Very Delicious drive will work just as well. A Cookie Dispenser - Random Wafers drive would not be so good. And now I must away, before I get told off for spamming. Don't forget the biscuits.

E.R. Eddison - Mistress of Mistresses
E.R. Eddison - The Worm Ouroboros

the language might take some getting used to.

Jack Vance - Tales Of The Dying Earth. it isn't medieval (more wizards and alternate dimensions, demons etc) but it's a fun read. Cugel is a great character and really amused me.

Hi there I would recommend some David Eddings the Belgariad is in a medieval setting, lots of magic and good humour. If you want more knigthly action you can always go with the Elenium series ;)

Things that have already been mentioned that I think you would like:
A Song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin
Ash: A Secret History - Mary Gentle
The Worm Ouroboros - ER Eddison (you might find this a little hard to find)

My own additions:
The Once and Future King - TH White (can't believe this hasn't come up yet, the classic Arthurian saga)
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley (another Arthian retelling, with an interesting twist)
King's Dragon - Kate Elliot (The Crown of Stars)
The One Kingdom - Sean Russel (Swan's War trilogy)
The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell (The Warlord Chronicles)
The Bone Doll's Twin - Lynn Flewelling (The Tamir Triad)
The Dragonbone Chair - Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)

Excellent list Oponn! Of all of those, the only one I haven't read is The Tamir Triad and since your tastes obviously run close to mine, I'll be sure to add that to my TBR list. :)

{Tigress} said:
Excellent list Oponn! Of all of those, the only one I haven't read is The Tamir Triad and since your tastes obviously run close to mine, I'll be sure to add that to my TBR list. :)

The first book is incredably spooky, the atmosphere is perfect. It is fantasy and not horror, but some scenes were definately very very eerie. Still, I added it to the list as it was certainly a medievil setting and an excellent read as well.

Back