• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Members' Booklist threads

direstraits

You know how we post our recently purchased books in the Recently Purchased thread, right? I love that thread to pieces, but posts do tend to get drowned in the torrent of posts.

My suggestion: each member (if they so choose) creates their own recently purchased booklist thread, and whenever they purchase new stuff, just post a reply in their own threads. Discussions can happen within, so no issues, and there will be a place to see what books a particular member tends to buy.

The thread is not meant to simulate discussion, but more of a tool to see who likes what.

And where do we put all this? In a child forum, off the General Book Discussions.

Alternatively, this booklist could be a list of books read... like the way they do it, uhm, elsewhere. :)

What do you think?

ds

Hmm, it's worth a try. I don't think I would post a list but I would check in on some members' lists If they seemed to have similar reading interests.

The thread is not meant to simulate discussion, but more of a tool to see who likes what.

At this point, posts would be a desirable thing. In that regard, the thread would easily top more than a few of our BOTM threads. So as I see it, we run with the idea, or we kill it since it doesn't "generate conversation"(i.e.-a criteria that has been the death of a suggestion or two) and continue to not live with conversation......or posts.

It's an idea I certainly like, having maintained my list of purchases and reads on Palimpsest.

I liked the idea, too. When I read a post by someone who likes a book I liked, it is great to know what other books that person has enjoyed so I can try them, too.

What area would these be in? Would they get their own section or go in an existing one?

I'm trying to get a list of my posts from Recently Purchased and compile it in a thread, but this is the first time the Advanced Search function seem to let me down - it seems impossible.

There is no way to advance search a thread. And the general advanced thread doesn't seem to respond to searching the poster's name *and* the phrase "Recently Purchased".

ds

This is probably the nearest you'll get.

I'll drop a message on the vBulletin message board to suggest that the advanced search option for a single thread should be just that.

Ah, a valued customer with insider dibs at Jelsoft, huh? :) Cool, dude!

What I had wanted to do was to suggest a way to get the booklist off Recently Purchased via Advanced Search. But I found it couldn't really be done. Too bad.

So howsabout a little subforum, and get the little thing started, huh Stewart? :)

ds

There's little point in that just now since, fifteen minutes after posting it, you won't be able to edit it. I suggested a blog feature to Darren, whereby members can manage their own as part of the forum, and he says he'll investigate it at the weekend.

We don't need to edit it. We continually reply the thread. Not incredibly ideal, but fits our purposes.

ds

The issue I had with the ability to edit our own booklist threads at tfs was that doing so did not bump the thread, and the edit wound up getting lost. So maybe we don't need the edit button at all unless there's also a way to let the rest of the gang know the thread has actually been edited.

The issue I had with the ability to edit our own booklist threads at tfs was that doing so did not bump the thread, and the edit wound up getting lost. So maybe we don't need the edit button at all unless there's also a way to let the rest of the gang know the thread has actually been edited.

Excellent point-folks who make a list but who then disappear, would clutter it up considerably. Allowing for "bumps" would allow their list to sink when they are inactive, making way for those who are more active.

Back