• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Bailey: Palindrome Hannah

Readers of Palindrome Hannah, this thread is open for full discussion, Q&A, et cetera. But please use spoiler code if necessary.

sirmyk said:
Here's a new review from Necropsy:

Stories Within Stories Within Stories

Hi Sirmyk - Sounds very interesting and is now on my list of books to read. I've been putting ideas on paper for years now but nothing substantial and so I'm very envious of those that actually get thier work finished and published - congratulations. Have you started your second novel yet :)

And thanks to Jay for the friendly pointer.

ruach said:
If I were to buy, read, and not enjoy this book, are you willing to refund my money?

Name me any other published author that does that and I will not only refund you the book, but I will buy you 3 books of your choice (unless I’m reallllllly insistent that my money never support such crap).
This is, of course, based on your ability to explain *WHY* you didn’t like it.
Not a simple, “I don’t like it”, “it sucked” or whatever passed for critique and/or an “opinion” these days…
I’ve already offered to front anyone $4; if your’ so hard-pressed for a ten-spot, I’ll spot you the book.

Also, I’ve nominated this novel for the October selection for the monthly read.
I’m sure it will get past the primary, but when it comes time for the actual voting, more than likely it will be a difficult battle versus the usual Best Seller Shite.
So I’ll post a reminder here when those of you interested can cast your vote.
For those in the US that prefer the illusion of democracy as opposed to democracy, myself of sirmyk can act as your electoral vote…
j

I've read Palindrome Hannah and as I've stated before I fell in love with this book. I especially enjoyed the account from the man who was raised in an orphange. Anyway since you'll be answering questions I have one at least to ask you....

A sixth story told backwards reveals the sad life of a child named Hannah who's name is a palnidrome. I didn't however get the sixth story. I followed well throughout the book and in the last story I figured I would find out more about Hannah. I was disappointed because I didn't feel like I did. So what's the story behind that...call me an idiot I may have missed something.

I discussed this with several people and we've all tried to find out about Hannah. Althought none of my other friends ever read the book, I let them flip through and I told them what each story was about. No one gets it. Tell me what I've missed Smirky I've been dying to know.

laboi_22 said:
I didn't however get the sixth story. I followed well throughout the book and in the last story I figured I would find out more about Hannah.

Just from what I'd suggest, it sounds as if it should be read backwards. Read the stories in reverse order and see how the knowledge of Hannah builds up.

Breaca said:
Have you started your second novel yet :)
I am 75,000 words into the first draft of my next novel, or about halfway there. After I edit the crap out of it to make the second draft, I am thinking (if I can estimate this early on) that it will be roughly 120-130,000 words in length. Palindrome Hannah is ~111,000. It may take a few years for Phoenix Rose (working title) to find print though, since I write in what little spare time I can piece together. A collection of short stories is also in the works.

ruach said:
If I were to buy, read, and not enjoy this book, are you willing to refund my money?
Yes, it is true: Anne Rice is one of my pen names. And since I have one novel under my belt as this Michael Bailey fellow, it has made me into a multi-millionaire success. Recently I paid off my mortgage and bitch-slapped one of my seven house maidens for wearing shoes on the gold-tiled floor.

Honestly, I would rather not have you as one of my readers with such a mentality. But, if you are willing to "waste" $14 of your hard-earned money on my self-proclaimed masterpiece of literary fiction, or even $20 if you "waste" it on a hardbound, I will gladly send you a Palindrome Hannah bookmark.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
Yeah, why not? I'll read it, if I can find it...Has it been published in Asia yet?
If Amazon can't get it out to your float boat in Asia, I'm sure I could find a way to send you a copy.

laboi_22 said:
A sixth story told backwards reveals the sad life of a child named Hannah who's name is a palnidrome. I didn't however get the sixth story. I followed well throughout the book and in the last story I figured I would find out more about Hannah. I was disappointed because I didn't feel like I did. So what's the story behind that...call me an idiot I may have missed something.

I discussed this with several people and we've all tried to find out about Hannah. Althought none of my other friends ever read the book, I let them flip through and I told them what each story was about. No one gets it. Tell me what I've missed Smirky I've been dying to know.
I'm glad I could offer such intrigue. There's not much to Hannah and her mother's story; they weave in and out of each tale providing puzzle pieces of knowledge by means of symbolism. Julie (Hannah's mother) is a bit of a mystery. She wears that dragon tattoo with pride (notice on the back cover how Julie is posed in similar fashion to the dragon? M.I.B. did a great job with that image). Basically, if you put all the little puzzle pieces you gather from each story into a pile, and then fit them all together, you are left with this sixth story, which I didn't have to include as "Part 6: Palindrome Hannah". I may continue some of her story in my next book. I think the review from Necropsy sums it up well (see below):

Necropsy's review of PH said:
Throughout all five tales, we are given glimpses into the life of nineteen-year-old Julie and her daughter Hannah. It is their strange story that ultimately the novel relates (and I have to wonder if maybe they will be the actual subjects of Bailey's next work). It seems that Hannah, a precocious and somewhat strange little girl, is the product of an unholy union, perhaps even the child of a demon. We are never told in uncertain terms exactly what makes her unusual, but enough hints are given that we can piece together where she came from, and where she might be headed in life. Perhaps the best touch of the entire novel is that Bailey does not make Hannah angelic or demonic, so we see her as a work in progress. Thus, Palindrome Hannah avoids the polemic and ultimately just tells some damned good stories.
Beautiful.

Stewart said:
Just from what I'd suggest, it sounds as if it should be read backwards. Read the stories in reverse order and see how the knowledge of Hannah builds up.
Although Hannah's story is reversed, compared to the structure of the other stories, one doesn't necessarily have to read the stories in reverse order to understand her sad tale; they can be read in any order.

jay said:
Name me any other published author that does that and I will not only refund you the book, but I will buy you 3 books of your choice (unless I’m reallllllly insistent that my money never support such crap).
This is, of course, based on your ability to explain *WHY* you didn’t like it.
Not a simple, “I don’t like it”, “it sucked” or whatever passed for critique and/or an “opinion” these days…
I’ve already offered to front anyone $4; if your’ so hard-pressed for a ten-spot, I’ll spot you the book.

I couldn't name you one, I also haven't looked. The beauty of this situation, for me, is I am able to ask the question.

It was never about the money it costs to purchase the book.

The review would have been more than "it sucked." I reserve those reviews for people that know me and my tastes.

sirmyk said:
Yes, it is true: Anne Rice is one of my pen names. And since I have one novel under my belt as this Michael Bailey fellow, it has made me into a multi-millionaire success. Recently I paid off my mortgage and bitch-slapped one of my seven house maidens for wearing shoes on the gold-tiled floor.

Honestly, I would rather not have you as one of my readers with such a mentality. But, if you are willing to "waste" $14 of your hard-earned money on my self-proclaimed masterpiece of literary fiction, or even $20 if you "waste" it on a hardbound, I will gladly send you a Palindrome Hannah bookmark.

With barbs like those, good luck catching fish.

I'm glad you are doing so well.

What mentality would that be?

Thank you for the offer of the bookmark; but I don't need it I have some spare paper.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Wrong answer. It should have been: "What criteria are you going to use to judge it?" or at least something more than that.

ruach said:
I couldn't name you one, I also haven't looked. The beauty of this situation, for me, is I am able to ask the question.

_The Beauty in Finding Situations to Ask Really Stupid Questions_
Sounds like you have a best seller there.
I’ve got one for you: go to a gallery’s opening night and ask the artist, “if I buy this and take it home, if it doesn’t match my sofa and carpet, will you come in and add the proper colour to it?”

The review would have been more than "it sucked." I reserve those reviews for people that know me and my tastes.

I’m sure they feel honoured.
One might ask how they eventually got to ‘know you’…or not.

ruach said:
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Wrong answer. It should have been: "What criteria are you going to use to judge it?" or at least something more than that.

If I can, for a moment, interrupt the little fantasy game show you have going on in your head: I covered your ‘something more like that’ before sirmyk could get to it.
But as you’ve now disclosed, we aint hip enough to actually get a well thought out “review” from you…tis all kinda moot, no?

j

ruach said:
With barbs like those, good luck catching fish.
I see you have mistaken sarcasm for fish hooks... well, metaphorically speaking, I guess I am looking to catch bigger fish than those of the "feeder" or tuna variety. Maybe halibut or swordfish (are those distinguished fish, anyone? I imagine a swordfish wearing a top hat and spectacles, sucking on a pipe, and snarling, "N'yesss. I concur. Do you concur? Pip-pip, jolly-o! Hmm-hm-hm-hm-hmmm"). Or maybe I'm just pinching Tetra flakes over an aquarium full of hungry goldfish...

I simply (well, it wasn't too simple) wrote a book. Those who are interested can decide whether or not they want to put a dollar and some change (known as "the author's cut") into my pocket; those who are not interested can decide to pass. If, ruach, you happen to pierce your lip with one of my barbed hooks, and later decide your transaction for such book was a horrid waste, then I will promptly return the $1.28 (or whatever it is I make per book) back to your pockets.

ruach said:
I'm glad you are doing so well.
If by "well" you mean "starving artist" or "shouldn't quit your day job", then yes; I am doing quite well.

ruach said:
What mentality would that be?
ruach said:

jay said:
_The Beauty in Finding Situations to Ask Really Stupid Questions_
Sounds like you have a best seller there.
Thanks for your opinion. I almost didn't recognize you Mr. Fiedler.

I’ve got one for you: go to a gallery’s opening night and ask the artist, “if I buy this and take it home, if it doesn’t match my sofa and carpet, will you come in and add the proper colour to it?”
If I didn't know the colour of my sofa or carpet there would be a problem other than asking the artist to stand behind their work. EDIT: There is also a difference between something you can see before you buy and something that takes time to consume. (As does a painting, but that wasn't part of your little quip.)

I’m sure they feel honoured.
One might ask how they eventually got to ‘know you’…or not.
I won't say how they feel about me, because I've never been them. One would get to know me with time and never presuming to know what I mean, instead of asking for clarification.

If I can, for a moment, interrupt the little fantasy game show you have going on in your head: I covered your ‘something more like that’ before sirmyk could get to it.
But as you’ve now disclosed, we aint hip enough to actually get a well thought out “review” from you…tis all kinda moot, no?
Where did you cover 'something like that'? I missed it.
I didn't say that. I never said anything about being hip or lack of. What's moot is your attempt to grasp or overlook my point, or I think so.

So anyway, what do you feel is the role of the dragon in this novel? What does the dragon tattoo symbolize?

sirmyk said:
I see you have mistaken sarcasm for fish hooks... well, metaphorically speaking, I guess I am looking to catch bigger fish than those of the "feeder" or tuna variety. Maybe halibut or swordfish (are those distinguished fish, anyone? I imagine a swordfish wearing a top hat and spectacles, sucking on a pipe, and snarling, "N'yesss. I concur. Do you concur? Pip-pip, jolly-o! Hmm-hm-hm-hm-hmmm"). Or maybe I'm just pinching Tetra flakes over an aquarium full of hungry goldfish...
Now that's pretty funny.

I simply (well, it wasn't too simple) wrote a book. Those who are interested can decide whether or not they want to put a dollar and some change (known as "the author's cut") into my pocket; those who are not interested can decide to pass. If, ruach, you happen to pierce your lip with one of my barbed hooks, and later decide your transaction for such book was a horrid waste, then I will promptly return the $1.28 (or whatever it is I make per book) back to your pockets.
Was that so hard? Honesty, damn. My point was not about the money at all but whether you were responsible for your work, the good and the bad. Whether you believed in it enough to put your money where your mouth was. You also said this thread was for questions.

If by "well" you mean "starving artist" or "shouldn't quit your day job", then yes; I am doing quite well.
Sarcasm begets sarcasm.

I'm still not certian how you can gather from a question what a person's mentality is, but one's reply always says something. Well I guess you could, if you are afraid to ask the questions and someone else asks them.

Anyway I'll pick up your book next time I'm at that store, read it, and let you know what I think.

ruach said:
...I'll pick up your book next time I'm at that store, read it, and let you know what I think.
Thanks for the support. Sincerely.

I put four years of my life into Palindrome Hannah, and a lot of different people of different professions helped with its progress, so I guess you can say I back it up... but there are others standing behind me.

So anyway, what do you feel is the role of the dragon in this novel? What does the dragon tattoo symbolize?

I have no earthly idea. As I've said before you kind of lost me a bit with Hannah and her mother. I understood and followed along with each story as it offered me a glimpse of first Juile then Hannah. I know Julie is young and struggles she works at Home Depot. I didn't understand Aeron's attraction to Julie though. I love the tattoo but I'm unsure what it symbolizes---care to enlighten us??

Justin

Back