• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Bailey: Palindrome Hannah

I have to agree with the linked reviewer in that Whiteness was also my least favourite. A problem I had with Whiteness was that several times there were pop culture references yet I was under the assumption that these events were being written to take us back to that time. So I assumed that the narrator had written about his experiences after the referenced pop culture events occured.

That Earl is such a confusing old bastard... :cool:

Thanks for the link, Stewart. You win some; you lose some. Overall it was an "okay" review, but one I hadn't come across until today. The next Cemetery Dance Magazine should contain my fourth review. I am biting my nails with anticipation.

If I were to ever write something I'm not sure I have the skin density for critical review. Even accepting you can't win em all.

One other thing I noticed about Hannah is that the author wears his musical taste on his sleeve. :D Nothing wrong with that.

ions said:
One other thing I noticed about Hannah is that the author wears his musical taste on his sleeve. :D Nothing wrong with that.
Are you saying my elbows are in treble?

Book Ring: Palindrome Hannah

As inspired by another thread, I officially start the Palindrome Hannah book ring. Now is your time to read PH if you didn't feel like forking out the money (now all you have to pay is shipping from one forum member to another).

For those interested, put in your two cents here, raise your hand, or do whatever is neccessary to join the ring. A notepad will be included for questions, comments, notes, etc. Please sign your name inside the book (just not in the meaty sections).

Since this is a ring... I expect the weathered book to end up back in my hands.

Questions?

I have never heard of this book and was trying to find something on it so I could see what it is about and couldnt find anything at all:confused: Can u tell me what it is about?:)

I have put this in Quarantine for now until you all have a chance to give your opinions.

I know Moto is doing something similar but he didn't (as far as I am aware) do the self promotion and start up a new thread for it and the Book Lust ring is not self promotion at all. If it is okay - maybe Sirmyk could just add it to the Palindrome Hannah thread that already exists?

I think it's too inconsistent to allow Moto to do his "round robin" thing with his book, but not to allow Sirmyk. It is unfair. Moto did start his own thread and has also done quite a lot of own-promotion too. I think it should be both or neither, but not one and not the other.

I meant the one in Writers' Showcase, the "competition" one started by Moto which has turned into a book ring with members reading the book, signing it and passing it on, which is exactly what Sirmyk suggested. I feel Sirmyk is testing us for double standards. He makes a point of saying "as inspired by another thread" - Moto's.

Halo said:
I meant the one in Writers' Showcase, the "competition" one started by Moto which has turned into a book ring with members reading the book, signing it and passing it on, which is exactly what Sirmyk suggested. I feel Sirmyk is testing us for double standards. He makes a point of saying "as inspired by another thread" - Moto's.
This is something for Darren to decide. Moto paid to run a competition for his book thus has effectively paid for his advertising (as far as I am aware). Sirmyk is promoting his for free, if he wants to pay then that is fine. This is why I think it is a decision for Darren.

I don't think Moto did pay for this. I raised this issue at the time, checking it out with Darren. Moto did have a competition, but that finished in May (?). This is another thing, which he has not paid for. Darren said it was OK and we left it. But if he has not paid, I don't see why Sirmyk or anyone else cannot do it too. I'm just trying to be fair and impartial with how the rules are applied.

No, Sorry :eek: I remember that thread well, all I meant was that Moto has paid for advertising in the past.

If you want to put it back then that is fine. I just don't see how we can ask him to stop self-promoting his book and then leave this thread where it is. That is why I thought we could put it in the Palindrome Hannah thread. Discussion of the book in there is fine.

1. About 6 days, because I was reading another book at home and read Hannah in the way to work.
I can't remember all the other questions. I think the stories flow well as they are and I disagree with the SF review when it says that the events in the first four stories follow in order. Maybe the reviewer lost half of the references and links. I read the book in the order it was printed but kept going backwards and forwards to check things up.
I like the way the stories were linked and enjoyed the stories themselves. I think Reflections could benefit from a little pruning and there were a couple of inconsistencies in The Whiteness (and a couple of things that I am not sure fitted with the '20s. There is an event in another story (or stories )that I am still not sure whether it happened once or twice. If it was just once, then there could be a problem between the time lines of three of the stories.
I have a problem with the blurb at the back. It mentions the 'sad story of Hannah'. Julie's life is sad and it is a story, but the only time we see Hannah she is happily colouring with crayons.
Summing up, interesting, not bad at all for a first book.

I really can't decide what would be best. I do feel strongly that as Moto has done it, Sirmyk should also be able to - that is only fair. On the other hand, it might suggest that we are allowing self-promotion, something that Sirmyk has done a lot of in the past. But so has Moto, in his own way.

Your idea of putting it within the existing Palindrome Hannah thread is a good one, I think. But I can see Sirmyk questioning why this has been done when Moto has a separate thread for his. Bloody hell. :confused:

Well I PMmed Sirmyk to let him know that it had been moved temporarily until Darren gives it the go ahead. I said that Darren allowed Moto's threadv(well he did say it was okay to leave it) and that Moto had previously paid for the advertising (which Moto has mentioned on the forums before). I haven't had a reply yet though.

Back